Disney pull out of The Chronicles of Narnia

brian s

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Posted on Wednesday 24 December 2008
Disney pull out of The Chronicles of Narnia

Following the disappointing performance of Prince Caspian, the second film in Walden Media's Chronicles of Narnia, Disney has elected not to exercise the option to co-finance the proposed third film.

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader was set to start filming early in 2009 for a 2010 release. The World is Not Enough director Michael Apted is lined up to helm the picture, with Ben Barnes and the other principal cast from the earlier films ready to reprise their roles.

Walden Media are expected to shop the movie around, in the hope of attracting a new partner so the series can continue. Fox distributes their movies under the Fox Walden banner, so they are likely to be an early candidate.

Prince Caspian has only taken just over half the box office receipts of the first film, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

Saw the first one, did'nt really enjoy it, not seen the second one as i've no interest in it really. Maybe its just me but i really disliked the kids being in charge of huge armies and fighting against all these mythical creatures, they had no fighting or leadership experience and still win, huh?, just find it stupid.

Awww man that sucks big time. Prince Caspian was awesome.

Oh well, at least i have Harry Potter 36 to look forward to [/sarcasm]

I think most of us were familiar with the 1st film from our childhoods but who has heard of the rest? I could never see the whole series being made.

I enjoyed the second movie, and is/was looking forward to Dawn Treader.

Unfortunately, one of the greatest books was desecrated by the first installment of the Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe on celluloid. The animation from circa 1979 is far, far superior. Why, when we currently have the technology and ability to make almost any fantasy film, did this fail the book so badly? I believe the casting, directing and script were completely off. The crux of the first film was Lucy and the transformation of Aslan, which fell completely flat on it's face. The casting of the four unknown kids was the biggest mistake of the filmmakers. NONE of them could act and the girl playing Lucy was completely talentless, directed by the equally inept director of Shrek :thumbsdow The White Queen came accross as a fairly nice person, as did Edmund; not quite the approach of the book. The Scriptwriter should be shot, missing every emotional queue the story had to offer.
The second installment was equally as bad, with the inability of the four leads completely revealed by the actor playing Prince Caspian, whose screen time shows what an actor can actually do with a role.
Hopefully, this series will die a death and in time the Chronicles given to someone with some talent.

I thought Prince Caspian was an excellent, this news just about sums up the film industry....:rolleyes:

You'll find Disney backing out of a few of their films/ productions.

Disney are struggling to get Mylie Cyrus to commit to anymore Hannah Montanna.

Disney have completely ditched The Jonas Brothers and Camp Rock because it performed soooo badly.

On the Bright side they are investing a lot of money to bring back the Muppets :clap:

I hope Disney bring back a few familiar faces instead of the pap that is on these days.

Believe me, Disney would love to bring back old faces but at the end of the day they are a business and they're finding it difficult to reinvent old stuff that a young audience today would like.

When you have state of the art effects today like the Pixar films, kids don't find puppets exciting.

Disney are going back to 2D animation but i don't expect the same revolutions that the classics like Lion King and Sleeping Beauty brought in their time

I watched the first one on BBC HD yesterday and later on I'm going to watch Prince Caspian on Blu-ray.

Really looking forward to it too. :thumbsup:

I quite liked the first film.

TBH I wasn't really aware there was a whole series of books here, and I suspect while we've all heard of the "The Lion, the White and the Wardrobe" we'd struggle to name any of the other novels.

I quite liked the first film.

TBH I wasn't really aware there was a whole series of books here, and I suspect while we've all heard of the "The Lion, the White and the Wardrobe" we'd struggle to name any of the other novels.

not listened to them yet but i have the audio books:
The lion the witch and the wardrobe
Prince caspion
The voyage of the dawn treader
The silver chair
The horse and his boy
The magicians nephew
The last battle

This is a good thing. Maybe someone in the future could make a good version. Prince Caspian was loads better than the first one but it was still extremely average.

I bought the first one for my wife but enjoyed it myself. I bought her the second for Xmas but we haven't watched it yet. If it's as good or better than the first it's a shame they've pulled out.

Cheers
Bri

I bought the first one for my wife but enjoyed it myself. I bought her the second for Xmas but we haven't watched it yet. If it's as good or better than the first it's a shame they've pulled out.

Cheers
Bri

I thought the second one was excellent Bri, even better than the first, being a sequel i was really impressed....:smashin:

I thought the second one was excellent Bri, even better than the first, being a sequel i was really impressed....:smashin:

i saw the second at the cinema and enjoyed it hugely, lets hope the same people are involved with the third.

i saw the second at the cinema and enjoyed it hugely, lets hope the same people are involved with the third.

Yeah i hope so, hope Disney pulling out won't destroy what could be a great third film

I didn't like the first one all that much, so haven't watched the second one at all.

Grumble, no chance for A Spell for Chameleon books then.

Great series of books when I was a geeky kid going to Dark They Were But Golden Eyed (Great book/comic store in Soho London)

Edit: probably not best to click the link if you want to read the books.. So have taken it out. Highly recommended though...

Last edited:
The second installment was equally as bad, with the inability of the four leads completely revealed by the actor playing Prince Caspian, whose screen time shows what an actor can actually do with a role.

That was possibly the worst, most wooden performance in the history of cinema and there's been a lot of competition in the 2000s, don't think many people who saw it would call it "acting" :rotfl:

Thought the first was ok, but the second was dire.

Fox has announced it will co-finance The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader with Walden Media. They still working out budget and script issues, but they hope is have a 2010 release, through the Fox Walden label.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom