Disney Plus Top 10 Things You Can't Miss - article discussion

Normally its worth going for the Atmos track - the higher bit-rate does represent an increase in overall sound quality not just Atmos data. My Denon will only allow Atmos if you add in some extra speakers - but it's worth it.

But currently D+ have removed the top tier Atmos audio option even though its listed in the app and we're just left with a low bit-rate 5.1 track. Other services may be doing the same sort of thing.
Which Denon do you have? I’ve got the X3400 and it definitely decodes Atmos with a 3.1 setup. I’m not saying you get Atmos effects, it simply downmixes additional channels to 3.1.

6200 - I'd never got it to display Atmos until adding a pair of speakers configured as front Dolby - it simply processed the base DD+ or True HD track. If the streaming device still gives the option of the Atmos track without the connected receiver actually having height speakers then that should be OK

With Atmos speakers you can 'upmix' or 'upscale' 5.1 with Dolby Surround enabled but Ive never heard of downmixing Atmos as its just extra 3D metadata - whereas its makes sense to downmix 7.1 discrete channels to 5.1 for example .

Interesting. What bitrate is the audio if you switch off Atmos?

I don’t have an Atmos speaker setup, just 3.1 since moving house, but my receiver can handle Atmos and downmix. I’m wondering if it’s worth switching on Atmos just to benefit from a higher bitrate.

It is 256kbps in 5.1 format so big difference.

Last edited:
6200 - I'd never got it to display Atmos until adding a pair of speakers configured as front Dolby - it simply processed the base DD+ or True HD track. If the streaming device still gives the option of the Atmos track without the connected receiver actually having height speakers then that should be OK

With Atmos speakers you can 'upmix' or 'upscale' 5.1 with Dolby Surround enabled but Ive never heard of downmixing Atmos as its just extra 3D metadata - whereas its makes sense to downmix 7.1 discrete channels to 5.1 for example .
I've only tried with my Apple TV, which seems to insist on switching Atmos on whenever it feels like it anyway. When it's on, my receiver always displays Atmos when playing an Atmos soundtrack.

Yes it's just metadata, but maybe it's still decoding that metadata and simply sending it to the fronts, like any other discrete surround channel would be. Who knows, but I'm confident the receiver is clever enough to deal with it properly.

Even when using your Smart DNS trick?

Sorry wrong answer, I was thinking without Smart DNS.
I actually don't know what is a bitrate of non ATMOS on Smart DNS, I will check it tonight.

I've only tried with my Apple TV, which seems to insist on switching Atmos on whenever it feels like it anyway. When it's on, my receiver always displays Atmos when playing an Atmos soundtrack.

Yes it's just metadata, but maybe it's still decoding that metadata and simply sending it to the fronts, like any other discrete surround channel would be. Who knows, but I'm confident the receiver is clever enough to deal with it properly.
Originally Atmos would only be processed on a Denon receiver if physical height speakers were added to a 5.1 system. So it seems the 3400 and later must be able to virtualise missing speakers much like a soundbar does. As it happens there isnt any Atmos from D+ at the moment.

Even when using your Smart DNS trick?

yes looks like all 5.1 on Disney+ are encoded at 256kbps regardless of Smart DNS.

Does anyone know when were likely to see rise of skywalker? Are we thinking the 13th when it launches everywhere else on digital?

Some new information on Disney+ I personally find quite startling. I had assumed it was only 4K resolutions that were being downgraded, but that is not the case. Unlike other services such as Netflix, where switching off HDR presents you with a 4K SDR version of the same thing, on Disney+ there are two discrete versions. One SDR at 1080p and one HDR at 4K. Switching HDR on or off determines which version you stream.

With the resolution downgrades currently in place, this means that not only is the image being presented for 4K actually 1440p, but anything you watch in SDR is sent down the pipe at an extremely unpleasant 720p, whose additional compression says goodbye to textures on pretty much anything from skin to spaceships. This is especially painful for projector users who frequently switch to SDR as the HDR version is too dim. In this scenario, I can watch either the 720p version or the too dark to enjoy version.

See screenshots attached for Attack Of The Clones. No other streaming service switches out for a lower resolution version when deactivating HDR, and I suspect this will continue to be the case even when Disney turns the dial back up resolution-wise. Painful.View attachment 1274469View attachment 1274470

What system and software did you use to display the tech specs of the stream?
EDIT: Oh I see you use Apple dev tools.

I'd like a similar system for my NVidia Shield (which runs Android TV).
Does anyone know of a way to do this on Shield?

Last edited:
Originally Atmos would only be processed on a Denon receiver if physical height speakers were added to a 5.1 system. So it seems the 3400 and later must be able to virtualise missing speakers much like a soundbar does. As it happens there isnt any Atmos from D+ at the moment.

I don't know if it actually makes use or includes the Atmos object sounds into the main 7.1 mix or not, but I can confirm that the 3400H definitely says "ATMOS" on its display when you feed it a TrueHD+Atmos track from 4K disc, even if you have no "height" speakers attached.

I'm half way through Antman and I've had the buffer/loading circle 4/5 times already! Never had this on Netflix or Amazon Video 4k titles and my Broadband is fine, looks like Disney is struggling. Looks like I'll be getting the Antman 4K disc.

I'm half way through Antman and I've had the buffer/loading circle 4/5 times already! Never had this on Netflix or Amazon Video 4k titles and my Broadband is fine, looks like Disney is struggling. Looks like I'll be getting the Antman 4K disc.
Only got the service on Sunday not experienced any buffering. It’s been used extensively by all in the family. No reports of buffering.

Only got the service on Sunday not experienced any buffering. It’s been used extensively by all in the family. No reports of buffering.
We've had it since launch, Mandalorian has been fine, but kids noticed it a few times during the day with Moana etc. I'm streaming using the Disney app on my android Sony A1 TV, not sure if it's a platform issue.

We've had it since launch, Mandalorian has been fine, but kids noticed it a few times during the day with Moana etc. I'm streaming using the Disney app on my android Sony A1 TV, not sure if it's a platform issue.
LG C8 app here.

I have not experienced any buffering with D+. LG WebOS app.

Apple TV - can confirm zero buffering and ive been smashing loads of stuff over the weekend... barely gets touched in the week though (still at work and no kids).

Are you using wired or wireless with your A1? The wireless on my Sony XF90 is pretty bad.

Are you using wired or wireless with your A1? The wireless on my Sony XF90 is pretty bad.

Wired. It's not the Tv or the broadband. Watching Free solo right now and having zero problems, so perhaps some early teething problems?

Does anyone else notice that the sound is ridiculously low on Disney+?
Also how do you get it to play atmos? Mine’s only playing DD+ despite having an atmos setup

Does anyone else notice that the sound is ridiculously low on Disney+?
Also how do you get it to play atmos? Mine’s only playing DD+ despite having an atmos setup
I think Atmos has been temporarily stopped as they were made to lower the bandwidth during this crisis.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom