to the right of the menu button - looks like a tv - double press it and it brings up all the open apps in like a cascade effect. move to each one and swipe up to make sure they are fully closed (bit like a mobile phone). Worth noting that restarting the apple tv doesnt seem to close the app.
Thxs for the prompt reply. Tried it but no luck. Are you still getting Atmos? Word is Disney have stop Atmos being transmitted.

Hi in my Apple TV 4K I see the titles that are in dolby atmos but do not start in Atmos. I have, tried to disable them from the settings dolby atmos then closed application reopened but nothing. Could it be because they have reduced the connection bandwidth?
Andrea

If you dont see the major films listed as DV / Atmos (just 5.1) then the fix of toggling audio settings and killing the app will fix this, but they'll likely still play in 5.1 (multi chan on a receiver). They've taken away the highest bit-rate audio and video encodes - so the audio might be as low as 256K and the video 1440p effectively.

Thxs for the prompt reply. Tried it but no luck. Are you still getting Atmos? Word is Disney have stop Atmos being transmitted.

Same as flyflot (just checked) - says Atmos in title but not coming up on display.

It's not working on apple tv 4k for me but the titles are showing as atmos on xbox one s

This will be because when Atmos is enabled on the Xbox it outputs everything with an Atmos signal, regardless of whether it is Atmos or not

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing that the content labelled as Atmos is playing in 5.1 due the current bitrate restrictions, no big deal given the circumstances. Content labelled Dolby Vision is playing as such and looks great on what I've seen so far.

Lg c9 same problem. In this case not show dolby atmos in this app.

you can use a dns proxy, something like expressvpn on the appletv to use the american disney+. Couple advantages, 1. Atmos now works because you're no longer subject to the EU quality reduction and 2. The whole of mandalorian is available.

you can use a dns proxy, something like expressvpn on the appletv to use the american disney+. Couple advantages, 1. Atmos now works because you're no longer subject to the EU quality reduction and 2. The whole of mandalorian is available.

Hi how works expressvpn to Apple TV? Can you explain to me?
Thanks.

Should I be seeing Atmos icon on shows info even if I haven't got Atmos equipment?

Everything I have looked at so far says Dolby Vision and 5.1 audio.

got mine working.... turn atmos off and on again on apple tv... then close the app using the double TV button on the remote and swiping up... re-open app... boom - atmos!

Where about's in Apple TV do you turn atmos off and on please, not that I have atmos, just curious where the setting would be?

in settings under video and audio.

Thanks, Im wondering if I should still have the Atmos label in Disney +, maybe if I don't have Atmos it just wouldn't show anyway?
Everything for me just says 5.1

Thanks, Im wondering if I should still have the Atmos label in Disney +, maybe if I don't have Atmos it just wouldn't show anyway?
Everything for me just says 5.1

yeah pretty sure it wont show... i think the apple tv reads your layout and supplies that info to the apps you have installed.

yeah pretty sure it wont show... i think the apple tv reads your layout and supplies that info to the apps you have installed.

Yeah thats what I think, I think the audio is pretty pants currently on Disney+ from what I have watched so far (The Madalorian) plus it seems extremely quite, need to turn my soundbar up a lot.

Yeah thats what I think, I think the audio is pretty pants currently on Disney+ from what I have watched so far (The Madalorian) plus it seems extremely quite, need to turn my soundbar up a lot.
yeah ive found it pretty quiet... but then i find apple movies pretty quiet and i have to boost those as well... Whereas netflix/youtube all relatively normal volume.

I'm getting the same results as others here. No Atmos and generally quieter sound. Both the picture and sound quality is noticeably poorer than what it should be when compared with alternative streaming sources.

yeah ive found it pretty quiet... but then i find apple movies pretty quiet and i have to boost those as well... Whereas netflix/youtube all relatively normal volume.

I tried Netflix and some stuff has the Dolby Vision and Atmos labels, just Disney + seems to show just Dolby Vision and 5.1 labels, perhaps that will change when they improve the audio.

I tried Toy Story 4 and audio was a bit louder, The Madalorian is very quite.

If you get Atmos with other apps and the ATV 4K shows Atmos available, but D+ film listings only show 5.1 then it's necessary to toggle Atmos Off and On in ATV settings, and possibly killing the app as well (by double-click TV button)

I've heard something similar for the LG app where it gets stuck on dual channel audio and was necessary to toggle ARC to PCM and back to Auto to unlock 5.1

So it's quite possible there's a similar app bug across different devices where it misreads the hardware capability and needs device settings to be toggled to pick up the true Atmos capability.

Hi how works expressvpn to Apple TV? Can you explain to me?
Thanks.
Basically your AppleTV will look to Disney+ like its in the USA. Disney+ aren't yet restricting this usage. Instructions on how to setup ExpressVPN on an AppleTV are here

Basically your AppleTV will look to Disney+ like its in the USA. Disney+ aren't yet restricting this usage. Instructions on how to setup ExpressVPN on an AppleTV are here

I'm struggling to get my head around this. Does that mean you will receive content at different bitrates if viewing via normal UK location and then via (faux) USA?

I'm struggling to get my head around this. Does that mean you will receive content at different bitrates if viewing via normal UK location and then via (faux) USA?
Yes. Because your AppleTV will connect to the US Disney+, which isn't subjected to the EU bandwidth restrictions, you get full bitrate and dolby atmos streams. You also get all the latest US content.

As soon as you turn off the DNS proxy, you connect back to the EU based Disney+ and the current content/bandwidth restrictions.

Thanks @matelot666 . I am actually quite happy so far with all streamed stuff at these lower bitrates (a bit beyond me to try changing DNS proxy etc!) but I was just curious.

Yes. Because your AppleTV will connect to the US Disney+, which isn't subjected to the EU bandwidth restrictions, you get full bitrate and dolby atmos streams. You also get all the latest US content.

As soon as you turn off the DNS proxy, you connect back to the EU based Disney+ and the current content/bandwidth restrictions.

Just to add the check is done at app launch, if your DNS/VPN isn't up to snuff you can turn it off at this point, it will stick to USA. You would just have to redo the steps if the app closes down due to memory management or on a box restart

Which VPN works currently? No Atmos is the biggest loss along with no UHD

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom