Disney Plus App no 4k or atmos content v 2.2.0-rc5

If you have experienced this issue, what model of tv do you have?

• XG9505

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • XG9005

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other XG or XH model

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • XJ90

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • XJ95

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Other 2021 model

• Other pre 2021 model

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • A9G

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • A8H

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • A90J

• XH9505 (just noticed i put xg twice)

Votes: 18 32.7%

• Total voters
I purchased my a80J just over 2 weeks ago and was able to watch DV Disney and even after Friday’s IMAX Enhanced update I could still get DV/Atmos. However after I updated the Google TV software to the latest version on Wednesday. I noticed this morning the same issue as everyone else….HD/5.1 anyone else on an earlier software or firmware having the issue. Could be a TV operating issue rather than Disney?
Started watching onward last night on my A80J. Now this morning no 4K and no Dolby vision. Not happy

So I thought I was immune to this issue on my 2017 55A1 OLED. Been enjoying IMAX DV 4k for the last week. Decided to watch shang-chi tonight and it's listing as HD only, no 4k DV! How is this possible, I don't have automatic updates enabled. 😕

This has got to be a backend server issue as nothing my end has changed.

Last edited:
If they wanted to resolve it I'm sure they are capable of doing it quicker than this. Makes me think they aren't that interested.

When I try casting D+ from my Android S21 phone to my Sony A1 the movie starts off in DV 4K and D+ sound, but within a minute I get a garbled mess on the screen... tried multiple times.

20211119_231122.jpg

20211119_231130.jpg

ZD9 D+ - Dolby Vision works fine but HDR10 streams showing as HD.

Sideload the old Disney plus apps to Sony TV, force playstore not to install and updates. Then 4k DV DA are coming back (including IMAX enhanced)

Link

Sideload the old Disney plus apps to Sony TV, force playstore not to install and updates. Then 4k DV DA are coming back (including IMAX enhanced)

Link
I was wondering about this! I realised that I had disabled the OS auto update, but not the Google Playstore app auto update. Previously sideloaded HBO Max so familiar with this approach, thanks for the link.

Link

Any potential dangers for doing this?

Has anyone done this yet?

I sideloaded the app in the link but when I opened the disney app it says I need to update to the new version to access the disney app, this is on my a80J,

anyone know around this so I can use the app version that is in the link? I’ve already not allowed app updates in the Google store.

Last edited:
Just watched Black Widow on my Sony A9 and it didn't look right. I could see the IMAX but only in HD 5.1!

Fortunately I have a 4k Firestick too, so I switched to that. Then got Dolby Vision...

I sideloaded the app in the link but when I opened the disney app it says I need to update to the new version to access the disney app, this is on my a80J,

anyone know around this so I can use the app version that is in the link? I’ve already not allowed app updates in the Google store.
Same problem here. The app does not proceed without accepting the update.

I honestly think the best option for folk is an external streaming device which is totally ridiculous given the money folk have spent on their TVs along with their Disney plus subscription. Dedicated streaming devices are just updated more and supported for longer. I've had a couple of issues with my Shield but I can't recall the specifics because they were fixed so quickly. The firestick is on sale for Black Friday and I can confirm they play 4k DV. You shouldn't have to fork out for them but for me it beats the waiting for a fix that might not come.

I'm not an Apple person, I have a One Plus 9 Android phone, a Chromebook for my laptop and a Windows tower as a desktop. However, the Apple TV 4K is IMHO easily the best external streaming device out there for the average person. Enable Match frame rate on that bad boy and then you can turn off all motion settings on your tv if you want. On TVs without good HDR you can set everything to SDR mode and still benefit from 4K.

So yeah my pick for people would be the Apple TV 4K 2021 edition. Also there is some great content on Apple TV +.

I'm not an Apple person, I have a One Plus 9 Android phone, a Chromebook for my laptop and a Windows tower as a desktop. However, the Apple TV 4K is IMHO easily the best external streaming device out there for the average person. Enable Match frame rate on that bad boy and then you can turn off all motion settings on your tv if you want. On TVs without good HDR you can set everything to SDR mode and still benefit from 4K.

So yeah my pick for people would be the Apple TV 4K 2021 edition. Also there is some great content on Apple TV +.
Match frame rate is a feature I'm dying for my shield to have. I had my eye on the Apple TV 4k but chose the shield so I could side load HBO Max. The shield has a kind of beta match frame rate feature but you have to manually select it and it often doesn't work. Apple TV also allows you to stream apple content with the full bitrate available which apparently the Apple TV app does not.

Match frame rate is a feature I'm dying for my shield to have. I had my eye on the Apple TV 4k but chose the shield so I could side load HBO Max. The shield has a kind of beta match frame rate feature but you have to manually select it and it often doesn't work. Apple TV also allows you to stream apple content with the full bitrate available which apparently the Apple TV app does not.
Correct. I think quite a few people end up making a USA iTunes account and then use either a VPN or some sort of SmartDNS service to spoof being in the USA and therefore get HBO Max app with the content in all of its glory. Think you can still return your shield?

Correct. I think quite a few people end up making a USA iTunes account and then use either a VPN or some sort of SmartDNS service to spoof being in the USA and therefore get HBO Max app with the content in all of its glory. Think you can still return your shield?
Tbh I wouldn't want to return it. I love it. The positives definitely outweigh the negatives for me. I use ExpressVPN, sideload the HBO Max app onto it from an external hard drive and I signed up using my PayPal account. It's dead easy. Probably one of my favourite apps. Use it more than Netflix. I hope it gets a native UK release one day. I can also use my shield to access the US Netflix and the US Disney. Apple is great for reliability but I've always felt android has always afforded more freedom.

In my region. I got the same error pop up. And then I press back or Ok. Then the apps allow me to continue to use. At least in my region.

In my region. I got the same error pop up. And then I press back or Ok. Then the apps allow me to continue to use. At least in my region.
Unfortunately doesn’t work on the a80J in the UK, the app just prompts me every time to update if I press back and open the app again.

It’s great that helpful workarounds are being shared…but Disney need to sort this ASAP. It’ll be massively annoying if it continues into December.

It’s great that helpful workarounds are being shared…but Disney need to sort this ASAP. It’ll be massively annoying if it continues into December.
Hi I've got a Panasonic oled and the Disney plus app doesn't support atmos so I have to use my 4k firestick a lot of the tvs internal apps are rubbish

I don't know if someone already said this, but if you want to watch it in 4k Dolby, you can use your phone's Disney plus to cast it on your tv. Then you will get 4k Dolby.

I don't know if someone already said this, but if you want to watch it in 4k Dolby, you can use your phone's Disney plus to cast it on your tv. Then you will get 4k Dolby.
How can you check your actually gettin 4K Dolby Vision? I've got a a80j and haven't found any button which show the resolution etc that is being displayed.

I don't know if someone already said this, but if you want to watch it in 4k Dolby, you can use your phone's Disney plus to cast it on your tv. Then you will get 4k Dolby
Not an issue for me, as I use nvidia Pro for streaming so both picture and sound are excellent, however when tried now phone, it activated dv option on TV when casting, so weird, but at least there is work around the issue

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom