Disney+ no 5.1 on Sony Android TV

Albie

Standard Member
Reaction score
So, I have looked all over the place, and seen lots of people having this same problem, but no fix.

The issue is that Disney+ on my Sony Android TV, does not want to output in DD5.1. Netflix, YouTube, Amazon prime all have no problems at all outputting Dolby Digital, but Disney+ no matter what I do, still outputs in what seems like stereo only. I have my TV connected to my Dolby Amp via an optical cable (unfortunately it does not support ARC)

I have used the Disney+ through the SkyQ box, and that does output in Dolby Digital, but then the SkyQ does not support true 4k, so prefer to use the TV

Anybody have an ideas on this, I have confirmed that my Disney+ software is up to date ... it is really annoying as feel I am paying for something, but not getting the full benefit

Yes, and using netflix, amazon prime, dolby digital works fine .. just on Disney+ it doesn't

Yes, and using netflix, amazon prime, dolby digital works fine .. just on Disney+ it doesn't
Maybe this could help... from Disney+:

What is the audio quality on Disney+?

All Disney+ content is provided in digital stereo audio, but offers a growing library of content in 5.1 surround sound and Dolby Atmos. Supported audio formats for a given title can be found in the DETAILS section under each title. Disney+ will automatically use the highest-quality audio your system can support.

To enjoy 5.1 surround sound or Dolby Atmos you’ll need an audio system compatible with Dolby Digital Plus (for 5.1) and/or Dolby Atmos.

To enjoy the highest-quality Disney+ experience, all components, including HDMI cables, should support high-bandwidth digital content. External displays should support HDCP 2.2 for 4K Ultra HD and HDR content. Older audio and video components can have an impact on quality or may not work at all.

Hi mate

You have not stated your TV but on mine (xf90) DD+ is not supported over optical

edit.... this is from the manual for mine, probably best to check yours

569A60F1-18BB-492E-BA1C-764E4F6264F9.jpeg

I have the same issue on my XG95, Disney say its because my LG soundbar isn't supported but it works fine with Netflix and Prime

The TV that I have is the Sony KD75XG8796BU and the same as rbecking above .... if it did not support DD+ ... then how come it works fine with Netflix, Prime etc ....

I feel like Disny must have somehow coded their app so that for some reason the app doesn't allow the TV to extract the core dd 5.1 track from the dd plus stream to passthrough via optical. A bit strange seen as you have said some of the other apps do allow this.

You will see the same issue with the Google Play Movies app. Only 2.0 over optical, but can do DD 5.1 over ARC (my AVR doesn't accept DD+ over ARC). I read something about an API used by the app for passthrough, but the information was old, so not sure if right.

The only workaround I have found is to keep ARC enabled, even though it doesn't give me advantage over optical and has some more issues. If your AVR doesn't support ARC, then you don't have that option.

If you have bluetooth headphones, you could try the workaround mentioned here:

If the TV has eARC, this product may work, but is expensive and Sony's seem to have issues with eARC at the moment:

You may be best to upgrade your AVR, or accept stereo.

Or I could just bin Disney+ for not delivering on what other products have been able to do. Am not shelling out £300+ on a new AVR, when it works with everything else

The TV that I have is the Sony KD75XG8796BU and the same as rbecking above .... if it did not support DD+ ... then how come it works fine with Netflix, Prime etc ....
Netflix, Prime... maybe they output standard DD if DD+ is not supported... And Disney+ doesn't... Just wondering... 🤔

Looking at your manual this its supported audio output..

ARC (Audio Return Channel) (HDMI IN 3 only) (Two channel linear PCM: 48 kHz, 16 bits, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS) DIGITAL AUDIO OUT

(OPTICAL) Digital optical jack (Two channel linear PCM: 48 kHz, 16 bits, Dolby Digital, DTS

Optical doesn't support Dolby Digital plus, perhaps disney uses that and netflix uses dd or dts?

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/...ojectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-75xe8596/manuals

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/...ojectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-75xg8796/manuals

Last edited:
This is a cheaper option that may work:
Link

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Ooohhh .. now that looks like an option, have you (or anyone) actually tried one?
Sorry I have not. Mixed reviews on Amazon. Do you feel lucky?

Probably worth doing a bit of research and making sure there is a return policy.

I feel like Disny must have somehow coded their app so that for some reason the app doesn't allow the TV to extract the core dd 5.1 track from the dd plus stream to passthrough via optical. A bit strange seen as you have said some of the other apps do allow this.

Both amazon and Netflix carry multiple audio streams including DD and DD+,it’s my opinion that the TV will be passing through the DD one from these services, simply put Sony does not allow DD+ to be passed over toslink.

Disney do not carry a DD stream, this can be checked when using say the kodi addon as it allows access to all available audio streams.

Regarding the extraction and processing of the core 640kbps track, that will happen on the amp end.

The problem with Disney is that they do not support dolby (it doesnt matter what kind) in the android TV app. If you attach an google chromecast on you,re tv it will work (even dolby 6.1) they are aware of this problem for almost a year.
all tv models above will work. Sony TV,s do need the right settings then youre avr will show de DD sign.

The problem with Disney is that they do not support dolby (it doesnt matter what kind) in the android TV app. If you attach an google chromecast on you,re tv it will work (even dolby 6.1) they are aware of this problem for almost a year.
all tv models above will work. Sony TV,s do need the right settings then youre avr will show de DD sign.

I get dolby digital/dolby digital plus on disney on my xg9505 playing via an ht zf9 soundbar.

Hi,
First Post.

I had the same issue as many others, TV audio works fine (Dolby Digital on FreeviewHD), Netflix audio works fine (DD), no audio on Disney+.

As others have speculated, I think it relates to Dolby Digital PLUS (DD+) not being sent over Optical.

I fixed the issue with my setup using the following method:

Start the Disney+ app, select a video and start it playing.
At this point there's no audio and the AV Amp says "Decoder Off"
Use the "Action Menu" on the remote, select "Sound"
Select Advanced Settings"
Change "Input related >> Dolby Digital Plus output" from "Dolby Digital Plus" to "Dolby Digital".
Exit and resume with audio now working.

The note that appears in the settings menu and I think explains the problem says:

"Select output for Dolby Digital Plus for audio systems supporting Dolby Digital Plus and ARC. If you use ARC and optical out, select [Dolby Digital]. (Dolby Digital Plus will be muted over optical audio out.)"

My setup hasn't been touched for years and I suppose I could get rid of the Optical out and use ARC only. Whilst messing around trying to get Disney+ working, I did get audio over ARC and it was full Dolby Digital Plus - not sure how much better than DD this is.

Hope this helps someone else.

KDL-49XD8099 AndroidTV 8.0.0 and Yamaha RX-V575 connected via ARC and Optical/SPDIF. Tannoy Mercury M3 front and centre, Mission 73S, Yamaha YST-SW80.

Hi,
First Post.

I had the same issue as many others, TV audio works fine (Dolby Digital on FreeviewHD), Netflix audio works fine (DD), no audio on Disney+.

As others have speculated, I think it relates to Dolby Digital PLUS (DD+) not being sent over Optical.

I fixed the issue with my setup using the following method:

Start the Disney+ app, select a video and start it playing.
At this point there's no audio and the AV Amp says "Decoder Off"
Use the "Action Menu" on the remote, select "Sound"
Select Advanced Settings"
Change "Input related >> Dolby Digital Plus output" from "Dolby Digital Plus" to "Dolby Digital".
Exit and resume with audio now working.

The note that appears in the settings menu and I think explains the problem says:

"Select output for Dolby Digital Plus for audio systems supporting Dolby Digital Plus and ARC. If you use ARC and optical out, select [Dolby Digital]. (Dolby Digital Plus will be muted over optical audio out.)"

My setup hasn't been touched for years and I suppose I could get rid of the Optical out and use ARC only. Whilst messing around trying to get Disney+ working, I did get audio over ARC and it was full Dolby Digital Plus - not sure how much better than DD this is.

Hope this helps someone else.

KDL-49XD8099 AndroidTV 8.0.0 and Yamaha RX-V575 connected via ARC and Optical/SPDIF. Tannoy Mercury M3 front and centre, Mission 73S, Yamaha YST-SW80.

Hi mate

You wont be getting DD with Disney, they simply do not carry it within their streams.

The issue above was people questioning why they where not receiving DD not that they had no audio, you are correct that you need to disable DD+ for toslink, by doing so the Disney app will fetch their stereo audio stream.

Cheers

well on my 65 inch XH95 I have seen a few star wars all come back with Dolby Plus not had any sound dips to Pioneer SC-LX73

Last edited:
I had issue with Disney not sending atmos to the amp so bought a 4K fire stick - job done and amp now receives sound as it should - yes it’s £50 but cheaper than changing amps/TVs etc

Nobody having similar issues?
I have a similari issue, cound not solve It. I have a JBL bar 9.1 (5.1.4) connected with HDMI Arc to a Sony Bravia 4k TV (2019). I can get DD+ and Atmos on other platforms (e.g. Netflix) but not on Disney+. Initially It was working properly and then, about 1 month ago or so, It gives only PCM.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom