1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disks recorded on DVR don't work in stand-alone player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dmw, Apr 15, 2005.

1. dmw

dmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Relisys RDVR250D - it works fine and the recordings it makes play back fine in the Relisys itself. I can't though play them on a stand-alone DVD player I had before. I use Verbatim DVD+RWs and DVD+Rs. The disks are recognised and I might see the menu screen but when they start to play they hang.

The disks sometimes play on a PC.

I can make recordings that I can play on my stand alone player but it's quite a job. I import to my PC using the DVDdecrypter program, then demux with PVAstrumento (usually finds and fixes quite a number of MPEG errors), then Cuttermaran to edit. Finally DVDLab and Nero to burn a new DVD+R which plays fine everywhere.

This procedure is OK for footage you want to keep (eg my own DV footage) but too laborious for "everyday" recordings.

Is this kind of experience "normal" with DVD recorders, or peculiar to my Relisys?

2. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    It seems that some DVD players just don't like DVD-R discs, however they are recorded, and irrespective of the make of blank media. I have yet to find a real pattern in all of this. I have tried various makes of media, recorded on PCs and Pioneer recorders, but they all still seem to fail in some DVD players, eg. Alba and Bush machines, but play fine on a PC, Pioneer player or recorder. I have no idea why... !
    Surface and file checks using Nero s/w reveal no errors, but they still freeze in these players, ( and maybe others ) for some reason. I have used blanks by Verbatim, Maxell, Packard Bell and others, but it seems to make no difference. There are sites that give more information on this, but I don't think there is much consensus on the real core of the problem, as yet, but I may be wrong... The result is that if you copy DVD-Rs out to people, it's a lottery as to whether they will play or not.

3. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Oops, you were referring to +Rs ! Apologies..

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    No, this isn't normal...

Various compatability issues do exist.. e.g. not every player will even play a +RW disc; some recorders are fussy about the quality of the media, etc...

But in your case, you have proved your stand alone player can play these particular discs, it is just when they are recorded (unaltered) on the Relisys you have problems... this and your software finding these MPEG errors sounds like an issue with the Relisys.

Mark

5. dmw

dmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark - thanks for that. Maybe I should have bought a better recorder!

6. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Verbatim did once use CMC Magnetics dye rather than the usual MCC, so I would check the media code of the discs.

It sounds like your DVD player might be sensitive to something in the recording. Try VideoReDo (free trial) which has the most thorough MPEG2 compliance processor I know of. Don't open the file but go straight to the 'Quickstream Fix' in the 'Tools' menu.

Other than that, if Clayts hasn't an answer for you then unfortunately there may not be one.

7. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    dmw - are you finalising the disks when you record them?
    Very few DVD players will play unfinalised disks from another recorder, but some PC drives are more tolerant.

8. dmw

dmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting point. It's really rewritables (DVD+RW) I want to be able to play on a DVD player in a different room - to view miscellaneous recordings then reuse the disk.

I don't think you can finalise DVD+RW's - at least my Relisys does not offer that option, only for DVD+Rs.

Is it normal only to be able to use finalised DVD+Rs in other players?

9. dmw

dmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I have tried VideoReDo but found it has a tendency to crash on my PC. I went on to using PVAstrumento which appears to be very stable/reliable and produces excellent results if the settings are right.

VideoReDo would have been a less cumbersome solution than the current 'decrypter/PVAStr/Cuttermaran etc but still involves reprocessing DVDs.

I'm wondering though if I'd bought a recorder with a better quality chip recordings on a DVD+RW (which can't be finalised) would be more likely to work on a (slightly aging) stand alone DVD player that is otherwise quite happy to play DVD+RWs.

The alternative might be a newer stand alone DVD player. Could I expect one to be more tolerant?

10. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    It is a feature of +RW discs that finialisation is not needed (not even possible). See this as a reference:
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1155085,00.asp

A newer player could be more tolerant, it depends on how bad the Relisys is messing it up.... you could take one of your discs into a shop and try it out on some players.

Mark

11. honey1997

honey1997

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    when recording on my Pioneer 720 to -RW discs, I finalise them to watc hon other DVD players, (including an alba portable) and Ive not had a failure yet, trying 5 different players)

Then when I want to wipe/edit/record, I unfinalise it and carry on

12. dmw

dmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting. Doesn't unfortunately help me since my recorder is +RW only