1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disk read error, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to restart?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by gpender, Mar 30, 2005.

1. gpender

gpender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Chaps,

I'm building a new HTPC and have fallen at the first hurdle....

I've put my bits together and upon installing xp (the first stage where you set partitions and it formats the drive) it restarts the machine for the first time...at this point it gives me the following error message...
    Disk read error; press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to restart.

Now this might suggest to you, as it did to me that the drive is knackered...however dispite my doubts I did change the drive and the exact same thing :mad:

What's really strange is that if I now try to boot from CD, in an effort to try to install again, I get a "checking hardware configuration" message and then a blank screen.....nothing.

If it helps I'm using an ABIT IS-10 board, and I've now tried it with a Maxtor SATA and a Seagate Ultra ATA...same deal both times...

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

2. Grumble

Grumble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Try checking the bios and make sure the drive(s) can be seen at this level.
    Remember that you will have to install the SATA controller drivers (f6 when the Windows CD boots up)

3. gpender

gpender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Bios can see the drive, I realised that I had'nt installed the sata drivers ( if they were even needed) but as my post mentioned I never had the chance to get back to the windows install window...as it went to a blank black screen when I tried to boot from the cd(it gives a message that it's checking current hardware configuration first and then nothing)...however that's the reason I decided to then try an IDE ultra ATA drive, but same deal...

Since my post I've taken the ata drive out and put it in another computer and I can see the initial part of the install has ended up on the disk...so I'm wondering whether it's a windows thing?....I rember reading else where that diving into service pack 2 had caused problems for some people but this is really bemusing me.

I'mformating the drive in the other computer hopefully this will allow me another chance of installing windows but this time I'll try service pack 1.

Any more info from anyone will be gratefully received.

4. Grumble

Grumble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Still could be a bios problem.
    Check everything.
    Processor speed, memory settings etc...
    I had an install with similiar problems, turned out to be corrupted data on the hard drive, caused by my need for speed, and setting the processor to 'turbo' in the bios.

5. gpender

gpender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right still no joy.

Formated the drive in the other computer but when I put it back in the HTPC still no option to boot from cd and thus install/reinstall windows....

I've been through the bios a thousand times and have learnt more about the bios in the last fews days than in my whole time of using PCs. I've tried every variable within the bios, even when I did'nt think a setting needed changing, I did just to be sure....

Presumably the MB remembers that it has seen my drive before, I feel if I could change that, then I might get the option to have a second chance of starting the windows install and thus try out servive pack 1.....but I'm really clutching at straws at this point.....

6. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    I'm not the most knowledgable in this field, but when I built a PC a few years back for some reason XP wouldn't install as the computer kept freezing before it even got to the boot from CD stage. After hours of frustration and I thought I tried everything, I then decided to try dropping the battery out of the motherboard to reset the CMOS. I don't know what it cured but upon reboot XP installed fine, and I haven't had any problems with it since?!?

Really don't know if this will work for you, but I can't see it would do any harm.

Giz.

7. gpender

gpender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I thought reseting the CMOS would help but it did'nt seem to....that said I just moved the jumpers...I did'nt pop out the battery so maybe I did'nt clear the memory completely...I'll try again

8. Grumble

Grumble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You may need to set the boot device order, because the system sees the partial setup of windows on the hard drive, and tries to boot from there.

Set the CDROM to be the first boot device.
    When the install reaches the stage of the first reboot, you will have to dive back into the bios and reorder the 1st boot device back to the hard drive.

9. gpender

gpender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Grumble, read the thread....I go to boot from the cd (not possible if you have'nt set the boot order in the bios to start with the cd) and then I get a messaging saying it's checking my hardware configuration, then nothing but a blank black screen

I'm not being given the chance to boot from the cd and thus no chance to install/reinstall/repair etc.....I can get into the bios o.k but nothing that I do there makes the difference.

I tried Gizmos idea of removing the battery, but though the bios resets, (date has gone back to default) it still seems to remember the drive from last time and thus no option to boot from cd....

The only time I succesfully managed to get the comp to boot from the cd is when i first put in the hard drives, i.e once each time....

I'm starting to think that maybe it's the motherboard.....that said, lot's of people have reported a similar problem which would suggest it's not a hardware fault...........close to giving up....really want to watch films by the weekend! :mad:

10. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    Oh dear..... have you tried eliminating / swapping out bits of hardware...
    For example start off with a minimum hardware set-up, mobo, memory, graphics, cd drive, hard drive.... then try swapping out each bit for another if available... try and eliminate the fault.. could be faulty memory, graphics card, ide channel/cable, hard drive... if none of it works then it probably is the mobo or cpu...

11. Nicky

Nicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hard problem...I'd now be tempted to try a different motherboard. Otherwise you can spend forever playing with settings only to find a week later that the mobo sipmly never worked. I spent a weekend once changing network settings on a Wifi network only to find, in the end, the router was just faulty.

Nick

12. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    When Imade my box last summer.. the problem I has was a mother board short on the case.....

Have yuou tried a bare bones configuration with the mboard etc outside the case?

13. gpender

gpender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    no I have'nt......but I've been into town and bought a new m/b......hopefully it's that and not the ram.......at this stage it really is guessing game.

If I don't post again it worked and I'm watching films ;) if it does'nt I'll be back on here crying my eyes out...

14. gpender

gpender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Still not quite counting my chickens but the motherboard would seem to have been to be the problem. Windows is currently installing but I'm further along the install then I have been so far............