Disk problems with Philips DVDR75

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AJL, Feb 23, 2005.

1. AJL

AJL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having problems with my DVD recorder. The machine often dosen't seem to read the disks properly. When you put in a disk you have previously recorded on it often fails to show the red band with the slider down the right of the menu screen that denotes the record length of each title. Also, it looses the time information relating to all the titles. Sometimes you put a disk in and you just get a "no disk" message.

This was something that used to happen very occasionally but happens very often now. I thought it was the cheap disks I was using (and they certainly seem to be the most problematic) but decent Philips one's I've just bought seem to do it from time to time now as well.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what may be causing it?

Cheers.

AJL.

2. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Which type of discs are most problematic: +R, +RW, or commercial pressed DVDs?

Do you get "Disc error" during recording?

3. AJL

AJL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Sorry should have been more specific. I only use +RW disks, I have some "Imation" brand ones that always worked OK but now almost always give problems. Philips ones seem to be better but have started to give this problem recently but not to the same extent.

I have had the "disk error" message twice, I think, but each time I left it recording and the end result seemed fine.

Player a 1 year old and is multi region I got from Richer Sounds.

J.

4. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Welcome to the Philips DVD Recorder Owners' Club. Contact Philips and arrange a repair/replacement.

5. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's the queue that's slightly shorter than the Tosh owners club :D

6. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yes, I agree. The 'disc error' messages will become more frequent and eventually you'll have corrupted recordings.

It sounds as though the laser assembly is on its way out if you're having 'No disc 'messages with +RWs.

I would link you to a procedure for getting it repaired, posted on the DVDplusRW.org site, but yet again it has bitten the dust due to web-host crapness. Rather ironic, really...

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Rubbish. Do an internet search for Philips DVD recorders and then do one for Toshiba DVD recorders. You'll notice three things:

1. Philips DVD recorders have substantially more problems

2. Philips DVD recorders problems invariable develop into unit fatal problems

3. Problems associated with Toshiba DVD recorders tend to be setup related or "non-fatal".

...but the bottomline is that a fully working Philips DVD recorder is lacking in features, functions and performance when compared to virtually all other brands of DVD recorders.

8. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    my philips dvdr75 is now 14 months old (multi region from richer sounds)
    I use 20 Sony and Verbatim 4x dvd+rw to record over and over again and so far I have not had any problems. I originally did have some cheaper +RW but they kept giving me errors, so they got chucked. I would equate your Imation media with my cheaper media, try some quality discs and see if your problems go away.

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    ...and my £1300 Philips DVDR1000 lasted 30 months before it packed up. But it didn;t mean it didn't fail eventually...

10. Niburu

Niburu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And swiftly moving back to the original point of the post ....
    It sounds like a faulty laser assembly, which as you have already been informed by other members of this forum, is a common problem on Philips DVDR's. Your media preferences will not make a huge difference as your laser has already decided it doesn't like recording properly anymore.
    Get Philips to pick up the unit, repair it and return it to you and don't let them mess you about!!!