disk mirroring

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mwltuk, Aug 7, 2004.

1. mwltuk

mwltuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, anyone got suggestions for disk mirroring. I have XP Pro and two 80 Gb IDE drives. I want the second drive to be a copy of the first for resiliance purposes. A simple software solution would be best.

Thanks

2. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I use Norton Ghost,clone mode will do what you require or you can backup the disc to an image file.
    Rob

3. Loftus

Loftus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have WinXp you may want to consider the built-in software raid functionality (MS call them "dynamic disks"). Here's some reading....

Windows software raid

4. Ingo Bingo

Ingo Bingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    True enough a mirror will work well, a striped volume will give you a quicker read, write response, but a mirror will back up your data more securely, make sure both disks have a bootable partition other wise its difficult to retrieve data if the first disk goes down.

Alternatively use an older drive with a small partition as the c drive & mirror your data on the other two.