1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disk Fragmentation - how do you cope?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Duggy, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Duggy

Duggy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    After four months of moderate use, things were getting a bit slow and jittery on my MCE PC, so I decided to check out the fragmentation level on the hard disk. I was horrified to discover that 85% of files were fragmented :eek:

I've been an IT consultant for many years and I've seen very many desktop PCs. I don't recall ever seeing fragmentation levels above about 10% on any of these, and so I've always scoffed at people who religiously defragment their disks every (day/week/month) as wasting their time. I may have to reconsider this attitude as far as MCE goes.

In fact, my disk was SO fragmented that despite having 25% free disk space, the defragmentation routine couldn't find enough contiguous space to reassemble the large files in Recorded TV and halted :suicide: I had to copy the Recorded TV off onto another disk, defragment, and then copy it back again.

So what strategies do other people have for controlling fragmentation. How often do you do it and do you have any way of automating the process?

TIA

Duggy.

2. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strange. Perhaps it's the way the MCE records media streams? You can set automated housekeeping if I remember correctly in windows.Set disk defrafg to run automatically every week. But as you say I've never seen it that bad.

The only time I have seen major defragmenting is when deleting and writing los of large video files when transferring from my video camera into raw format on disk. But knowhere near that bad. Sounds more like a disk corruption to me.

Have you run a full scandisk etc?

3. Duggy

Duggy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    JayList,

Thanks for the hints, I'll give them a try...

4. snow-munki

snow-munki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    try using something like vopt XP or disk keeper, much better than the default XP defrag.

and these can be scheduled to run at certain times of the day.

5. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    If you have a load of pictures and windows takes a while to open the folder containing them that's usually a sign that you need to defragemnt your disk...
    well that's how I tell....

6. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or use Picasa and spend no time opening it! :D