Disk Errors on Humax Fox T2 HDR

to max a humax

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi

My Humax Fox T2 HDR is showing as 100% full but when I count up the percentages used in the folders, it comes to 75%. All new recordings are failing because the disk is seen as full.

When I ran the Disk diagnostic, it returned errors in Current_Pending_Sector and Offline_Uncorrectable. These errors come up with every disk diagnostic.

Does anyone know what those errors mean? Has anyone had it and recovered - perhaps using the fix-disk utility?

I don't want to buy a hard drive just yet so would like to fix the drive. If a new disk is the answer then I'll be after some recommended drives.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

When I ran the Disk diagnostic, it returned errors in Current_Pending_Sector and Offline_Uncorrectable. These errors come up with every disk diagnostic.
Those errors suggest there is a flaw on the surface of one of the disc platters, which is getting worse. In fact it sounds like it's now beyond the drive's ability to correct for.

I'd replace that drive ASAP.

EDIT: I'm not too well up on Humax gear, but AFAIK they always use Seagate "Pipeline" a/v drives in their boxes. You should be OK with anything up to 1TB, if you want to go larger than that you'd have to ask in the forums TJT1 mentioned for advice.

Last edited:
Do you have the T2 custom firmware(CF) installed? The best place to ask is at hummy.tv. Most of the various CF authors maintainers are there.

Just to jump on this thread; I have custom firmware installed on mine and I've run the disc repair utility twice now and it's come up again this week with the same message/blank recording folder. I'd prefer to just replace it outright as it's about 7 years old, but it seems that the newer models have all kinds of problems so I'd be jumping out of one problem and creating another.

These days with streaming I can catch up with most programs that I can't watch live, but I'd still like a PVR as a fall back...not sure what to do as it's pointless to keep running the disc repair every month or so (even if the recordings do become available again afterwards).

Have you done what I suggested in post #3 re hummy.tv?

Not sure if you're replying to me, but I've been using the custom firmware to run the disc repair, but it's happening frequently now so I think the disc is on it's last legs.

Yes I was.:D
Presumably you read it? Just a thought.

Yes I was.:D
Presumably you read it? Just a thought.
Yes I've been Hummy TV (that's where I got my custom firmware), but if my disc is on it's last legs there isn't much point to keep messing about with the disc repair in the custom firmware. Probably not worth putting a new HD in it either since something else may fail on it.

I'm wondering what the best replacement is for the Fox T2 these days? There are still the odd occasions when it's good to be able to record something rather than have to search around to watch it on iPlayer, or whatever.

OK. Fair enough.
Put it on eBay when you have a replacement. You will likely get a goodish price for it. Probably from someone who frequents here or Hummy and who is prepared to investigate/replace:D.

Yes I've been Hummy TV (that's where I got my custom firmware), but if my disc is on it's last legs there isn't much point to keep messing about with the disc repair in the custom firmware. Probably not worth putting a new HD in it either since something else may fail on it.

I'm wondering what the best replacement is for the Fox T2 these days? There are still the odd occasions when it's good to be able to record something rather than have to search around to watch it on iPlayer, or whatever.

The hard disk is the most likely component to fail, being the only component with moving parts. My HDR-1000S (one of the first batch) is on it's second 2TB HDD. First one lasted over 3 yrs used around 16hrs/day. Copy your existing records by ftp to a PC for safe keeping.

The hard disk is the most likely component to fail, being the only component with moving parts. My HDR-1000S (one of the first batch) is on it's second 2TB HDD. First one lasted over 3 yrs used around 16hrs/day.
That makes sense, though I've seen reports of bulging capacitors on the power supply PCB, so it would make sense for me to check that before buying a new HDD.

I have to say that I'm surprised that after all the time I've had this PVR, Humax doesn't seem to have brought out a model that is as well thought of and a genuine improvement.

At this rate I think banging in a 1Tb drive would be a simple task and a cheap way to keep a working PVR in my rack for the occasions when I can't watch live or stream.

EDIt: I found used 'working' ones on eBay for £40 plus postage, so I really wouldn't bother trying to sell mine on as a non working example; I've sold a lot of AV stuff on here over the years and it's always the bargain basement stuff that causes me the most hassle, so it'll get donated to charity after I format the HDD if I don't replace the HDD.

That makes sense, though I've seen reports of bulging capacitors on the power supply PCB, so it would make sense for me to check that before buying a new HDD.

I have to say that I'm surprised that after all the time I've had this PVR, Humax doesn't seem to have brought out a model that is as well thought of and a genuine improvement.

At this rate I think banging in a 1Tb drive would be a simple task and a cheap way to keep a working PVR in my rack for the occasions when I can't watch live or stream.

EDIt: I found used 'working' ones on eBay for £40 plus postage, so I really wouldn't bother trying to sell mine on as a non working example; I've sold a lot of AV stuff on here over the years and it's always the bargain basement stuff that causes me the most hassle, so it'll get donated to charity after I format the HDD if I don't replace the HDD.

The bulging capacitor issue is afaik restricted to the Foxsat-HD. You can buy cheap re pair kits for these.

The bulging capacitor issue is afaik restricted to the Foxsat-HD. You can buy cheap re pair kits for these.
The DTR-T10x0 family also suffer from "cheap ass" capacitor syndrome.

Just to come back to this thread: I couldn't find a suitable replacement for my HDR Fox T2 that looked like it would work as well as this one has. I took it apart and checked for bulging capacitors and they looked fine, so I ordered a 1Tb Seagate video drive and put that in last weekend.

The PVR has been working perfectly since and of course I have extra storage. Not that I ever got close to full except when I once accidentally set a series link to South Park and it filled up the drive while I was on holiday :D.

I hope I get another 7 years out of it now and that Humax eventually come up with something better to replace it with when it does die.

I have kept the old drive, but I guess I would need to run the disc repair utility (again :rolleyes:) to then be able to move a few favourite concerts onto the new drive if I put the old drive in a caddy? Not sure I can be bothered to swap the drive back over to do this. Unless I can use a PC to do a disc repair once I've put it in a caddy, but I guess the formatting might not be a standard Windows type?

Format is NOT Windows.
The T2 does not suffer from the bulging capacitors. It is most likely a few faulty sectors on the old HDD.
If the drive still sort of works, you could put it into a USB caddy connected to the T2 and copy the wanted programmes back to the new disk, but it will take a long time over USB. There are other, more complex methods.
Bit late now, but it might have been possible to rescue your old HDD using the T2 custom firmware.

You are right about a replacement PVR, you won't find one.

Just to come back to this thread: I couldn't find a suitable replacement for my HDR Fox T2 that looked like it would work as well as this one has. I took it apart and checked for bulging capacitors and they looked fine, so I ordered a 1Tb Seagate video drive and put that in last weekend.

The PVR has been working perfectly since and of course I have extra storage. Not that I ever got close to full except when I once accidentally set a series link to South Park and it filled up the drive while I was on holiday :D.

I hope I get another 7 years out of it now and that Humax eventually come up with something better to replace it with when it does die.

I have kept the old drive, but I guess I would need to run the disc repair utility (again :rolleyes:) to then be able to move a few favourite concerts onto the new drive if I put the old drive in a caddy? Not sure I can be bothered to swap the drive back over to do this. Unless I can use a PC to do a disc repair once I've put it in a caddy, but I guess the formatting might not be a standard Windows type?

Disk is formatted Linux EXT 3. You can boot a PC into Linux using USB or Optical drive. You may have to change the bios settings to boot from a usb stick. It won't affect your Windows set up.

The disk check you ran is a standard linux utility.

Download Ubuntu Desktop | Download | Ubuntu

Thanks Graham. I'll wait until I feel like putting the old drive back in and just run the disc repair from the custom firmware. My laptop is on it's last legs, so I don't want to stat trying work with Linux.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom