Disk Compatability with Samsung Players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tonyselon, Nov 22, 2004.

1. tonyselon

tonyselon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've decided to finally plunge into the DVD/HDD world and I've read a few posts on the subject so I think I'm a bit clued up apart from one thing. I'm inclined at the moment to go for Panasanic E85 as I will be primarily timeshifting recordings made from Sky & Freeview. I understand RGB input is required for best picture results but not sure if my two existing Samsung DVD players can handle the Panny format ( RAM & -R/RW). The Samsung model numbers are 709 & M104B, 5 and 4 yrs old respectively. If I burn a disc in -R format will it play in the Samsungs? I've tried to find info but had no luck. I wont be giving discs to friends or family so I'm only concerned that they'll play on my players.

Incidentally why are the bigger capacity HDD/DVD Recorders so much more expensive than smaller ones when PC HDD drives of same capacity are so cheap??

Thanks for your help

Tony P

2. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Almost all players will play -R disks, Ram however is another story and is only a viable option if you are viewing it on the E85 or other ram capable DVD player (such as most of the Panasonic DVD player range).

3. Mikey45

Mikey45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Incidentally why are the bigger capacity HDD/DVD Recorders so much more expensive than smaller ones when PC HDD drives of same capacity are so cheap??"

I think that whilst these are just consumer appliances they have not yet reached true commodity status yet so premium features (largest hard disks, etc.) will continue to attract premium prices. But it shouldn't take much longer if you look at whats happened in the PC DVD re-writer market - the fact that you can now buy a good quality drive for £50 suggests that the real bargains will start coming by next summer (the market will keep prices inflated throughout the xmas buying period!).
    Mike

4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may find problems on the 709 playing -R.Its an old and picky player.
    -RW is NOT a format used on Panasonic,so if you want to play rewritables in other players go for a Pioneer-or anyhting other than Panasonic