Disk boot failure

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by parrish, Feb 11, 2009.

1. parrish

parrish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi everyone,

My PC is custom built based on an ASUS A8N SLI motherboard and AMD FX55 (SKT 939, San Diego core) & 3GB RAM.

All was fine until yesterday - I noticed that the date and time were incorrect when XP booted. I restarted and went into the BIOS and corrected the date and time and saved the changes. No problems then.

This morning I booted the PC and was greeted by a message about a corrupt CMOS. I pressed F1 to continue. The machine failed to boot and stated DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

I rebooted and checked the BIOS - date and time had been reset to something like Jan 2003. I thought it might be a battery problem, so I replaced the battery, reset the date/time, saved the changes and rebooted. The DISK BOOT FAILURE message returned.

I checked the boot priority and changed it to CD ROM, Hard Disk and then Removable (i.e. floppy) then saved the changes. A reboot later and again DISK BOOT FAILURE appears!

I've found that if I press F8 to go into the boot menu on power-up I can select to boot from the primary SATA Hard drive and XP boots no problems (I took the opportunity to back-up all my documents/files). I can only get into XP if I use the boot menu.

I've no idea why this has happened - it has been fine since I bought it in 2005 and the only problems have occured in the last couple of weeks (burnt out PSU that I replaced and now the loss of date/time) and the computer was working fine when I switched it off last night. I've seen no signs of disk failure or any warning signals from the OS.

Can anyone shed some light on the situation?

Thanks in anticipation of your help,
    Dave

2. chris_f

chris_f

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Sounds like the PSU failure may have buggered up your MB, try going to the ASUS support site and see if there is a BIOS upgrade, if not you'll have to look at a replacement

3. FireKracker

FireKracker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Initially I would of said that the CMOS battery would be at fault, but seeing that you've replaced it and the error intermediately flares up, I'd tend to go along with Christian F, in that either your burnt out PSU has caused damage somewhere or it could be an early sign of your HDD is on its way out, perhaps checking the HDD with some 3rd party / manufacture utility may help?