1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disintegrating 3805 remote

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Repo, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Repo

Repo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Had my 3805 for just over a month now & the remote has started to self destruct :(

It hasn't been abused/dropped/thrown/etc in anyway but it is cracked in 3 places down the left hand side & in 1 place on the right hand side. The cracks are in the top silver half of the remote - the lower grey half is ok.

Has anyone else had or heard of these problems or is this just a one off? I just wanted to find out if there was a history of these problems before contacting the shop I bought them from (Creative Audio who have given excellent service so far).

2. Shahel

Shahel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep mine has it in 4 places and now the silver and grey parts are coming apart and the screen keeps going and coming

3. tpc3416

tpc3416

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have the remote with the black background or blue background? Denon is doing a free exchange to the newer blue one. Supposedly better. By the way, do either of you have problems with your 3805 decoding dts dvd? I can't seem to figure this one out. None of my dts dvd's show up as dts, only digital.

4. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Out of interest guys how did you get this sorted did you return it to the place you bought it from or return direct to denon? I've also got the same problem...

Cheers,

dEVS!

5. krungthep56

krungthep56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

Count me in too: have the Denon remote RC-970 (silver plate, grey base)which came with the AVR 3805 receiver. Unit was bought on Dec 25th, installed and used since Feb 8th (one month).

Rmote has NOT ben dropped or abused, and now has two noticeable vertical cracks on left hand side for the full depth of the upper, silver cover plate.

Any response from Denon on whether this is a typical problem, and is there a fix?

Not impressed.

Regards.

HT

6. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    TPC - you need to select either in the DTS films interactive menus or the DVD players on screen menu for it to send the DTS rather than DD track to the AVR. As long as the channel is set to auto on the amp it will then switch to DTS when an appropriate signal is sent

7. Shahel

Shahel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I guess no point in starting another thread.

Well let me get down to it. I had this prob back at the start of the year, the remote just fell apart. I got it replaced from the store I bought the amp from. I havent use the remote for over 5 months, as I just used my ipaq instead, now Iv started to use it again and the cracks are coming back. There must be more ppl with this problem and has anyone with this prob got any info from denon about it??

8. ScottG

ScottG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem with this remote just falling apart, mine literally ended up with holes in it where big pieces fell off.

I called Denon customer services, they wanted to know the Serial Number of the Amp, Date and place of Purchase, that was it, I got a new remote 48hrs later, no quibble at all. They claimed to know nothing of this problem, but seemed too willing to stick a £100 remote in the post if it really was unheard of !! :clap:

9. bhutal

bhutal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

The remote should be covered under mfg. warranty. I suggest that you check with them for a replacement.

10. Shahel

Shahel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just contacted Denon they said they will not repleace the remote as i did not buy it for Authorised Denon Dealer (I bought it from Krish Audio-Video in London), I have never come accross something like this I feel gutted. :( also the place I bought it from say there not gonna replace it again as they have never heard of this problem and this is my second remote and i broke my ipaq so can this day get any more worse :(

11. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I also had this problem a while back (3months ish) got a replacement, just had a closer look at the remote and its doing the same thing again! No2 replacement coming up!

Denon should really sort this problem out!

12. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I would pursue denon and get a replacement remote control. Clearly this is a manufacturing fault and denon should accept it as such - especially with all the information and back of these forums.

Under the sales of goods act the supplied goods must be fit for purpose. Remote controls that fall apart are clearly not.

Push comes to shove buy a new remote and take denon to the small claims court for your money back. You can do it all online:
    https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp

13. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Unfortunately this advice is not correct. The sale of goods act applies to the transaction between the purchaser and the retailer that they bought from, the manufacturer is not party to the purchase contract and has no liability under the sale of goods act.

However, the retailer is liable under the sale of goods act and you should be able to get them to sort the problem out, and you can take them to court if neccesary.

Bill

14. bbasra

bbasra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Can anyone post any pics of their remote which have broke...... i like to see what happens to it and what it looks like.

15. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Worked for me for panasonic on a plasma repair! Basically the retailer was not interested and had to deal directly with panasonic on a manufacturing fault. Must have had a very generous judge thats all I can say.

You've also got to think of who your warranty is with - the retailer or the manufacturer???

16. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Are you saying that you made a claim against Panasonic under the sale of goods act, took them to court and won your case?

17. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Yup, the details on a thread in the plasma forum - or I can let you have any information you want including case number!

18. GranPremio

GranPremio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sales of Goods Act - your contract under this Act is with the retailer NOT the manufacturer. Any claim under this Act must therefore be against the retail outlet.

As a point of interest, the 12 month warranty is not attached to the Sale of Goods Act. The statement of a 'Reasonable Period of Time' for a £1000 amplifier would (in my experience) last in excess of 12 months.

19. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well I've scanned your posts going back to 2003 and I can't find anything referring to a court case. The nearest that I could find was:

Which is not the same as winning a court case. So I think that Gran Premio is right when he says that your rights are against the retailer. This also agrees with the government web site, http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm
    which says

• Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

• It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

20. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Severnsource / Granpremio,

I HAVE WON this case against panasonic, details available in the plasma forum and I'm sure at the court (Northampton). I'm pretty sure the courts take a dim view on any manfufacturer supplying rubbish goods and not making them right. I am a little belwildered at the attitude on here - the facts speak for themselves. You can take a manufacturer to court and win! Yes I have taken retailers to court and won (a broken bike rack with bikes bouncing down the M1), but the principal exists in law.

Don't be afraid and at the end of the day if the manufacturer wants a court hearing it is transferred to court of your choice and the chances are for a £150 remote control it's not worth there time to actually attend court. One the plus side you know you are in the right.

I speak from experience not the reading of law books or solicitors, the British justice system does actually work in some cases!!!!

21. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Have a look at...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219585

Keep the faith my friend, it can be done...

22. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,781
    FaxFan, I'm not sure you actually won any "case". Sure you got £210 out of Panasonic but you didn't have to get a ruling on whether your claim was valid under the Sales of Goods Act. Your premise that Panasonic may have decided it was too much hassle to argue their side of the case, was probably correct. But that in itself is neither proof you won your case nor proof that the manufacturer was liable or at fault. All you succeeded in doing was to show that Panasonic were prepared to minimise the cost of dealing with your specious claim.

Sure, well done on finding a way to get a manufacturer to cough up money for a repair, but IMO this does not support your assertion you had won a "case".

You did not make your case, but you did make your point. Two separate issues in my book.

My $0.02 FWIW. My tag line supports my assertions. ;)

23. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Apart from the fact that panasonic admitted liability when they filed a response....

24. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,781
    Well, that's a horse of a different colour.

[strategic withdrawal =on] /me [strategic withdrawal=off]

;)

So did the court give a ruling in your favour based upon Panasonic's "admission"? If so did you get a copy of the ruling? And could it be shared? It may just help any manufacturer's "customer services" department to serioulsy take anyone's out-of-warranty or not-through-the dealer repair claim for goods not conforming to the sales of goods act.

Well done. I stand corrected, head bowed, in the corner, D-hat on........ :)

25. GranPremio

GranPremio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No need to stand corrected, the above is misleading. I quote from the SALE of goods Act (Not the Manufacture of Goods Act)

"It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract"

Getting money out of Panasonic may well be a win (well done) but it will not be under judgement of the SoG Act

26. mavice

mavice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    OK...back on thread

Add me to the list (I counted about 10 people just on this thread) of Denon 3805 owners with a remote that has disintegrated

exact same problem - the top cover is stressed by the internal mounting screws resulting in cracking of the case and subsequent failure of the remote as the top cover applies pressure to the screen contacts.

A definite design fault.

I am out of warranty and Denon have told me I cannot buy just a plastic front cover (worth about 50p) and must buy a new remote...I have been quoted £149 :suicide:

ANyone any idea who actually makes these remotes for denon...I can see a buisness opportunity buying 100 from china or wherever for 50p and selling them on to all us victims of this fault for £1 - thats a 100% mark up...Ill be loaded

see my other thread started before I found this one.

Other 3805 cracked remote thread

27. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I think it is based on the Kameleon remotes sold as One for All here. I have a mk1 Kameleon and despite being inferior in execution, it is so much better made. (Metal bodied).

Denon have allegedly returned to a more conventional design for the 3806. Any chance they might work?

[​IMG]

28. mavice

mavice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Interesting

would that mean they are made by Kameleon ?

I want to identify the actual manufacturer of the denon remote

29. Lattegy

Lattegy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0