Question Dishwasher- is Miele worth it over a Bosch?

InsertUsernameHere

All,
We're about to move house and need to get a new dishwasher.
I have had my heart set on a SMS67MW00G with its 5 year warranty. Recently on sale for £550 but now back up to £630.
Thanks to the stamp duty saving we have a bit more flexibility so is it worth upgrading to a Miele?

My only recent experience really of white goods is out 10 year old built in ikea/whirlpool dishwasher which is fine and our Samsung washer / driers both of which have survived 6 years but are getting close to needing to be replaced as well.

outoftheknow

This is almost all personal preference and opinion. Those with Miele will “never go back” and those without will say it is t worth the extra over many other decent brands

I’m in the latter group although I did buy my parents a Miele washer dryer many moons ago and it lasted 15 years no bother. Then again I’ve had an LG for almost as long and it is fine.

InsertUsernameHere

Suspected that might be the case... we’ve never really had any bad experiences with any brand. Maybe saving the money and getting the Bosch is the most sensible idea!

larkone

Replaced a Bosch with a Miele - definite improvement in build quality, noise level and it does work well. There was nothing wrong with the Bosch as such, it just didn't meet the same construction quality as the Miele

floppy disk

Standard Member
It's entirely up to you what you get. Miele is better made machine but it cost more, there's nothing wrong with that Bosch dishwasher either. Chances are ( not set in stone but number game ) that Miele will last trouble free for longer, then you pay more for that privilege. I would say stay away from the cheapest , nastiest end of the market but Bosch dishwasher are by and large decent machines, , not as well built as the other choice of DW, but you might save yourself some considerable amount of hard earned cash, so it's your decision. There is no right and wrong - tell me , is family car toyota worth extra over say ford ?? If I had the cash I would go for Miele, if not I wouldn't lose my sleep over that after buying bosch either, that is my preference and by no way means that is the only way. Stay away from under £250 -£ 300 mark and is more of the matter of preference than what is better, as most machines are built to a price so similar price point will give you similar built and quality. Bosch ,being popular mainstream decent mid market appliance producer, means parts are available if anything goes wrong, and if you can't repair it, there are plenty people who worked on those machines are will service them. There is no right or wrong , Miele is better built machine and charges you accordingly for the privilege, but as mentioned earlier there's nothing wrong with your choice of DW either, it's up to you.

InsertUsernameHere

Thanks all, I think at the price point I might go for the Miele, if the bosch was still on offer then the gap opens up a bit but at their RRP the Miele makes more sense if they’re still that bit better

Gavtech

Administrator
There is obviously some degree of variability in Bosch products.

Overall they have a deservedly good product reputation and same for reliability...but it is worth noting that in the current edition of 'Which' , Bosch had 5 Dishwashers that were recommended best buys, and yet surprisingly one that was so bad ( it failed utterly on its basic function of cleaning dishes) that the Consumer Association gave it a 'Don't Buy' rating.

InsertUsernameHere

Yeah I’ve read that review in my travels, “brilliant dishwasher but didn’t clean the dishes“
that’s why I like this forum, gets people’s personal experience and you tend to get a decent spectrum of views

psykix

We have a Miele tumble dryer, and are on our second Miele washing machine, and second Miele Dishwasher.

The tumble dryer is now 13 years old and still going strong - it is used for every wash load. The washing machine and dishwasher both lasted just under 10 years and were uneconomical to repair. Good going, but less than the 20 years Miele say the appliances are tested for.

I complained on both occasions, and Miele customer service were stellar to be fair. They offered us new appliances, for 50% discount. They also upgraded the warranty on the new washing machine to 10 years.

All in all, a pretty good experience, especially as we were a family of 5 for most of that time until the daughter left home, and they were used daily at least.

floppy disk

Standard Member
psykix that is some result - as Miele say not 20 years but equivalent of 20 years of average use, family of 5 using it at lest once daily probably put in some 20 - 25 years of average use as average use is ( if I remember correctly ) half of what you put it through ( average family size in low 2.something ) so there is a difference between machine doing 4 - 5 washes a week or daily at least so your average was more than 10 washes a week...
Still I had both Miele and Siemens ( Bosch in all but name ) and as much as Miele are better, Bosch are fine balance of decent built and affordability, so if someone is happy to spend more, yes Miele is way to go, if money's tight there are worse choices than Bosch ( almost everything else... ) and some of them a LOT worse.

psykix

We certainly used the dishwasher daily. The washing machine probably averaged close, as some days would do multiple loads, and other days maybe nothing. Engineers can see the usage - he said the washing machine had middle of the road usage. He did say at the time the number of washes, but no idea what it was! It even tells them how many washes were done at what temperature, because I seem to remember him saying running every wash at 40 degrees was not so good on the appliance. This was 3 years ago, so memory may be slightly fuzzy!!

When we got the 50% discount, we went quite a bit further up the range on both the washing machine and dishwasher - seemed more of a bargain then :)

brucer2

Standard Member
I would ask the question differently.

Is Bosch worth it over a Beko?

spinaltap

Distinguished Member
I’ve owned both a Bosch and a Miele Dishwasher.

The former literally fell apart after 7 years; the repair agent was less than interested in repairing it. Domestic & General offered 30% towards its replacement.

The latter worked faultlessly for 10 years before the tub failed (water leakage). The Miele repair couldn’t have been more helpful. As it was Miele (not Bosch), Domestic & General offered 100% towards its replacement.

That‘s why I buy Miele, not Bosch.

Flynch191

If I had the money I’d buy Miele, I don’t so I bought a Bosch. I’ve had most cheaper brands.. whether they last longer is luck imo.. what you pay for is better manufactured products, materials, quieter, Other options and extras etc... like anything in life.. you generally get what you pay for up to a limit then it’s name calling from there. Enjoy your Miele. 👍

InsertUsernameHere

Thanks all, one thing putting me off was the 2year warranty on the Miele vs the 5 year on the Bosch but it sounds like Miele will be good to deal with regardless.
Sounds like it’s worth stumping up the extra to be honest

spinaltap

Distinguished Member
My last Miele appliance was sold with a 2 year warranty. Once registered, I was offered the option to extend the warranty to 5 years.

D

Deleted member 27989

I think it entirely depends on the features you’d want out of such a device. I wouldn’t go just by the brand. Higher in the range Bosch/Siemens/Neff can be just as good, or provide different features that Miele doesn’t do (at the time). For example our Siemens integrated dishwasher was so quiet that it was impossible to tell it was on, so it usefully projects onto the floor to give a visual indication. Miele didn’t do that, nor did they have a machine that is as quiet when we looked. To us that is very important to have it quiet and not beep for ages once finished. To others they may not care. That Siemens one is now 15 years old.

And shallow as it may be, but surely as the OP is looking at non integrated models than the visual appearance becomes important? I don’t like having different shade of colour of lights in our kitchen (or any room). Makes it look messy to me. So to me it would also depend on what other appliances are in the room and visible.

InsertUsernameHere

And shallow as it may be, but surely as the OP is looking at non integrated models than the visual appearance becomes important? I don’t like having different shade of colour of lights in our kitchen (or any room). Makes it look messy to me. So to me it would also depend on what other appliances are in the room and visible.
haha yes, hence we're looking at £100-£150 more for a stainless Miele over the white one :(
The models we are looking at do offer the features we would like, that being quiet and also the auto door opening. I had landed on the Bosch after a lot of reading, I think I spent more time investigating the dishwasher than the actual house we are buying! However I had only written the Miele off due to the cost

D

Deleted member 27989

Indeed, and stainless is indeed one of those considerations. When your other appliances are like that it will nicely tie it together.

My wife insisted on that for our fridge freezer, proper stainless front to align it with the other appliances.

“Little things” like that can make a big difference on the overall impression and daily enjoyment in my opinion.

MissBennet

Novice Member
I'd love to hear what you decided on. We bought a Bosch about 25 years ago, and it was "ok" but at the time we weren't thrilled with how it dried, so when we moved about 4 years later, we needed a new dishwasher (all the appliances were quite old/loud/not working great). I made the hard decision to save for a year for a Miele (we had young kids at the time, so it was challenging.) I thought that if I "couldn't take it anymore" we would just buy the Bosch and deal with the wet dishes. We ended up saving and buying the Miele, and while it cost about $250 more than the Bosch at the time, it has lasted us about 20 years, and is still doing great, though is having some minor issues, so are comparing Bosch and Miele again, in anticipation of an upcoming "tax free weekend" - it seems that the higher level Bosch machines are now best at drying, but we have really appreciated the Miele reliability. How did you fare?

InsertUsernameHere

I'd love to hear what you decided on. We bought a Bosch about 25 years ago, and it was "ok" but at the time we weren't thrilled with how it dried, so when we moved about 4 years later, we needed a new dishwasher (all the appliances were quite old/loud/not working great). I made the hard decision to save for a year for a Miele (we had young kids at the time, so it was challenging.) I thought that if I "couldn't take it anymore" we would just buy the Bosch and deal with the wet dishes. We ended up saving and buying the Miele, and while it cost about $250 more than the Bosch at the time, it has lasted us about 20 years, and is still doing great, though is having some minor issues, so are comparing Bosch and Miele again, in anticipation of an upcoming "tax free weekend" - it seems that the higher level Bosch machines are now best at drying, but we have really appreciated the Miele reliability. How did you fare?
We went with the Miele in the end, we had it immediately fail which was apparently unheard of, but Miele got a new one out to us in about 10 days and its been absolutely fine since then.
We definitely appreciate the quality and the quietness as well as the auto door open as the majority of things are dry ready to put away in the morning.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 24th November 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Panasonic 2021 TV update brings full 4K resolution with VRR and HFR