1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disheartened Vibe owner

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Stonedragon, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You know I was happy with my set up, KEF speakers and my Vibe subwoofer. But after reading the posts in this forum I feel naked and inadequate. Why have you guys upset my peace? Now I want a SVS. I cant even justify needing one. My listening room is only 16X10 and to be honest what I've got scares the neighbours downstairs. But yet I want more. Honestly, if I was to get an SVS, would it really fufill all my BASS needs once and for all - I need to feel that I belong!! I want bass nirivana!!
    Another thing, how do you guys get the readout for all those graphy things I've seen so that at the very least I can say to myself and my missus, look the lines are in the wrong place; I need one of those SVS subs to make things right :)
    If i flog my vibe, I would have a budget of around a grand - so which one could I get for that money (including the shipping?)
    Hope to hear from someone soon :)

2. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    which vibe have you got by the way?

3. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With a grand to spend on an SVS you'll be looking at the following:

20-39 PC+ £700ish after all expenses
    PC-Ultra £850ish
    PB2+ £900ish

Which of these you would need would have to be a matter of discussion between you and one of the helpful chaps from SVS.
    Personally I'd go for the PB2+ if you have the room - its large, or if not then the PC-Ultra.

4. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Okay, I have a Vibe Zeta, which sits nicely in the corner, out of sight (WAF) so I'm looking for something that is not going to be to obtrusive. But from what you guys say, it sounds like the SVS is a real behemoth, but on the plus side this should terminate any ugrade-itis. Right? So the sub I choose has to have 3. factors: 1) It should be heard, and preferably not seen 2) Should end any urge to upgrade 3) Give me a big cheesy grin every time I switch it on. BTW I have the KEF Q5 and Q6 upfront and Q1 doing the rear duties. Thanks for your help so far.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I think that any SVS will give you two out of three but with the best will in the world you would have to be extremely short sighted not to see it. Quality bass is all about moving air and the pure way of achieving this is with a large driver moving loads of air in a large cabinet.

All subs and the other speakers should be set up with the aid of an SPL meter but the sub settings can be refined by taking readings at different frequencies and plotting the results on a graph onto an Excel spreadsheet that can be found on the "snapbug" website.

If you want, one of us can just make up a graph for you to show your wife :D

Seriously though an SVS is streets ahead of your Vibe

6. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You said you were happy till you saw everyone on about the SVS, It sounds like a case of they have got one, now i want one. I used to be like that, wanted what the latest thing everyone else wanted. But you know i was never really happy. It was always "this is dissapointing in this area. Not as good as that was really in the end, wish i stuck with that other bit of kit etc..." Unless you can honestly say your ZETA sounds that bad that you need to change it. Otherwise you will just get stuck in the zone of looking for any faults in the sound and never really enjoying the kit and movies you have.

7. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    When you get an svs you will be very happy, thats a promise!

8. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    My svs 20-39 pc+ is one of the best av products ive ever brought and i have owned quite a few other well known sub brands.Also ive heard the vibe subs cant remember which models but all i can say is buy the svs you will be blown away :D
    Cheers Gonzo.

9. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    CityonFire you've got a point. I cant say the Zeta dissapoints (it dosent if I'm really honest) but since everybody keeps on going on about the SVS I'm curious, and there is an element of "I want one because everybody got one".

I suppose what I need to do is to listen to an SVS then do a comparison with my Zeta AND be HONEST to myself. If the SVS wont offer any more due to my listening constraints (neighbours, room space - theres only so loud you can go in a flat no matter what kit you've got) then I will have to satisfy myself with what I've got.

This leads me to my next question. Is there anybody reading this post in the London area with an SVS that I could listen to? C'mon guys, I've got an itch that I've just got to scratch.

BTW, CityonFire how do you rate your Zeta in comparison to what you've heard or had before?

10. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i rate it very highly. Mainly REL's ive heard it against. I admit they are probaly a more musical sub but dont seem to have the slam unless you get one of the big £4000 big boys. But any sub at that kind of price you would expect that. Also for the money i could not get better as i got my first ZETA for £270 new. Good deal i thought. I got it through one of the vibe reps from where i worked before they went over to distributing through Henley Designs. The theory is VIBE will sell me one well under what they cost to make and hope that what you do is push vibe subs more sales wise in your shop. REL became a pain to deal with in the end never saw a rep for about four years. Was always chasing them for the latest info all the time. B&W have some very good subs at the higher end. Never liked KEF subs as they tended to have a bloated boomy sound for my tastes. They try and get to much from their subs and should have used bigger drive units to cope with the level of bass they were trying to get with the smaller drive units. Same with the mission stuff i heard. They looked big but sounded very small.

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It's interesting that forum members who work in AV retail have as many differing opinions as do the members of the public. That's what makes listening to any proposed purchase yourself so important.