Dish suggestions for 19.2E & 13E in East Anglia?

kevkbuk

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I wish to install a dish for 19.2E and 13E. I have considered a motor but access to the west is restricted by trees and these are the sats I am really interested in.

So I am currently thinking a fixed dish with two LNBs and diseqc switch would suite me. I am in East Anglia could I get away with a 65cm dish?

I believe it would be fine to receive each sat on their own but how about when using two LNBs on a bracket?

Does solid or mesh make a difference and what about brand apart from general build quality?

Is the LNB used more important than the dish itself?

I am somewhat tempted by the Ross 65cm kit in B&Q currently at £25. I can live with the features of the receiver for now and would upgrade it later if it was required. Or is the dish itself rubbish?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

Kev

Hi Kev.
All you need is a 60-70cm dish with a 6 degree monobloc LNB, and there's no need to be too choosy about either.
The LNB includes the DiSeqC switch so it will work with any generic satellite receiver.
If the kit you've seen is meant for Freesat it would have only a single LNB.
This is the sort of thing you want:
IceCrypt 60cm Mesh Satellite Dish Pack + Monoblock (6°) LNB
and here are a few choices for the receiver:
Satellite Receivers Deals - Portable Digital Receiver Box Prices, Reviews

a sky zone 2 dish should also fit the bill

Thanks guys.

I forgot to mention I have a seperate setup for Freesat with a quad LNB so would like the option to use one of those outlets for this receiver also in future. Hence I believe I cannot use monoblocks as diseqc switches cannot be cascaded?

You're right about the monobloc not cascading with a separate quad LNB.
I have separate dishes, one for the quad on 28E, one for separate LNBs for 13 and 19 on a bracket.
That's a circular 60cm dish, further north than you, and brackets are pretty standard.
Monoblocs aren't really intended for Sky type dishes.
There isn't really such a thing as a specifically Sky type LNB.
I hadn't realised who it is that's asking - I thought you knew all about these things!;)

There isn't really such a thing as a specifically Sky type LNB.
I hadn't realised who it is that's asking - I thought you knew all about these things!;)

I do, I'm just fact checking! ;)

I thought the LNBs for Sky mini dishes had specific fitments... eg square and not round with preset (or limited) skew adjustment to make life easier for their 'engineers'.

I do, I'm just fact checking! ;)

I thought the LNBs for Sky mini dishes had specific fitments... eg square and not round with preset (or limited) skew adjustment to make life easier for their 'engineers'.

sky dish lnbs have internal oval feed horns to match the oval sky dishes & an in built skew* so that the dish & lnb are installed horizontally to basically look neater & also make them not work as well if used off 28e [*not anything to do with the set skew adjustments for different regions]

using sky lnbs off 28e is a bit more work taking the above into account & how you use them to get the most out of them & minimise loss/ or adding noise.

Good decision. 60cm with two seperate LNBs on 13 and 19 is fine here, and will be at least as good where you are, due south. If you're not going to want further satellites in future the monobloc would be OK instead. Alternatively you could get 28 on the bracket as well.

Just though I'd update this. After a brief consideration of a motorised setup I've decided to stay with two fixed dishes. I've got a cheapy Ross SD kit from B&Q plus an extra LNB, diseqc switch & bracket ready to install on Saturday.

The Ross kit was surprising and for £25 the dish and mount seem solid enough. The receiver is extremely basic but that'll soon be replaced with something with a lot more features. Then they'll be lots to watch on 13, 19.2 & 28.2. :D

The Ross kit was surprising and for £25

................the dish and mount seem solid enough.

They are not really [solid enough that is]- they are thin & will bend in strong wind - usually resulting in a lump on the face over the [AZ/EL] bracket bolts & rim to rim outage.. many actually distorted in the smaller boxes, the brackets are thin & the rust protection on both is just a thin coat of paint .. the build quality & design of a humble Raven sky z1 or z2 dish & it's wall bracket is infinitetly superior & the Z2 Sky dish far better for multi LNB than a regular 60cm...

But - for the price for all that ... they are fine for what you want on those very strong satellites ... the signals will go down a bit over time [or a lot] & the noise level will go up after a few batterings from some decent winds if the dish isn't already out of shape from the tight boxes ....

...but they should still be OK on those strong satellites for years to come.

...but they should still be OK on those strong satellites for years to come.

Thanks for that downer Pedro :D

As you say though hopefully it'll last a few years and do what I want for that time. It appears more solid than some dishes I've used on 19.2 in the past so here's hoping...

If I catch the bug chances are it'll be replaced by a motorised setup in time anyways!

Thanks for that downer Pedro :D

As you say though hopefully it'll last a few years and do what I want for that time. It appears more solid than some dishes I've used on 19.2 in the past so here's hoping...

If I catch the bug chances are it'll be replaced by a motorised setup in time anyways!

Sorry - not meant to be anything other than a reflection of what we encountered some time ago as we got asked to fit a few for customers that had bought previous ones - we ended up with a few that just got used as ad dishes - and they all bent.. [so perhaps not the best ad:D].

Basically... you just end up gravitating to installing decent stuff in this game ...

I am impressed with the design & build of the sky dishes [of a decent brand like Raven or Channel Master] - they have had more money spent on their development than perhaps any other dish.. [they will actually take 125mph & survive!] I'd love to see what a 70 or 75 could do of the same design. [or a 2.4m]

Ah, you're going off with the enthusiasts!
What about the content on 13 and 19 - are you a fluent linguist?

What about the content on 13 and 19 - are you a fluent linguist?

Nah I took German at school so understand the basics but that's it. Either it won't matter for sport and music etc or there will be english soundtracks on films (hopefully...).

The only sport I've seen is people sliding down hills with snow on them, the only music has been oom-pah bands and unknown rock, and I've never seen a film with English soundtrack, but with a bit more effort you'll probably find more. :)

The only sport I've seen is people sliding down hills with snow on them, the only music has been oom-pah bands and unknown rock, and I've never seen a film with English soundtrack, but with a bit more effort you'll probably find more. :)

Do you mean FTA only? That must restrict things...

Do you watch Arte, do they not show english content anymore?

You can get sport FTA at times too see here: www.liveonsat.com, there is more than people sliding down hills on there, but I guess it depends what your into.

Yes, I was assuming the Ross wouldn't do anything else, and cards are expensive anyway.
Yes again about Arte - their HD is the one channel that I do watch sometimes, though there's not much music.
Any English is dubbed over so things like the Avengers aka "with umbrella, charm, and bowler hat" are funny that way.
ZDF do their own football, and there might be people racing their cars too.

You'll have lots of support from our enthusiasts with one of those.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom