Dish Size and Quality

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by kebablover, Sep 25, 2011.

1. kebablover

kebablover
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone offer advice please? I am looking to install some form of sat TV in a villa in Menorca Spain. A few of the properties have a dish as small as 1.1M and seem to receive a half decent signal. This surprised me. Here is my dilemma. I want to transport the dish on a commercial flight. In an ideal world, I would go for a high gain, solid 2M. However, I cant justify the huge leap in cost to something in the region of £400. Plus, the extra charge for baggage would be extortionate. This equipment isnt going to get a lot of use. I have found two options but would welcome any member input.

There is a 1.3 dish advertised for around £100 Please see 1.2m STEEL SATELLITE DISH 1.3m x 1.2m & AZ-EL Mount | eBay

Maplin are offering a 1.85M dish in sections for £99.00 I understand that sectional dishes are not as good as solid but the extra size and the fact that its is more transportable on a plane make it an attractive option. 185cm Satellite Dish Free Delivery : Satellite Dishes : Maplin

Thanks in anticipation.

2. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,575
    What satellites do you want to receive from, that need such large dishes?

3. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    It depends what channels they are - the Sky channels are far easier in most of Europe- the Freesat channels are in part funded by the BBC (us really) & these are restricted on the tight UK Astra 2D beam so need the much bigger dishes- that's 2.4m over on the white coast but further south & north a 1.2m or smaller is OK as the signal varies -so a 1.2m there might do it- you need to ask locally if a [decent] 1.2m will do 2D there into the evenings (it goes harder in the evening).

The cheap Maplin's dishes badged Fortec star & come in 1.8m & 2.4m petalised can do the job [if a bigger dish is needed there] & if setup very [very] carefully... but they are too weak to stand the winds there unless you can really shelter one surrounded by walls so it just sees above them & ideally strengthen them. They are very light and many have been taken over to Spain on the plane. Far better to drop on a decent used dish over there - Channel Master or Prodelin ideally at whatever size local knowledge dictates.

4. kebablover

kebablover
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. Food for thought. A skybox rather than free sat looks the way forward. I am coming to the conclusion that buying out in Menorca is the way forward. Trying to get a large single piece dish to the airport is a problem in itself!!

5. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,575
    Why?:confused:

6. youngsime

youngsime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Was in menorca a few weeks ago ( cala n porter) and was in a bar and they were showing abu dahbi sports and the dish size didn't look much bigger than 1.2m to me!
    Were in menorca is your villa?