Dish set up for 19.2 and 28.2

Streamer73

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m looking into installing a dish that will allow me to receive French TV (TNTSAT) at 19.2e along with 28.2 for Sky. Unfortunately we’re currently on a communal system hence the need for my own dish (the communal system can’t support Sky Q either).

Is it possible to have a suitably sized dish (south of England so hopefully 60cm) with individual LNBs feeding directly into separate receivers (TNT box and Sky) or do I need a Diseqc switch too? Could the Sky LNB be upgraded to one suitable for Sky Q at a later date?

Any help/advice appreciated!

First you need to obtain clearance/approval from the freeholder (via the building managemeny company typically) to install your own dish to the building.

Another antenna (dish) on the building may also need Planning Permission to be obtained. Satellite,TV and radio antenna - Planning Portal - Wales for England and Wales - Scotland and NI may be slightly different.

It's possible for most communal systems to be upgraded to provide additional satellites and work for $ky Q. But that will mean added expense/costs that will be reflected in the Service Charges.

You can sometimes add an lnb at the communal dish and a diseqc switch on your dedicated cable, so your property has 28e & 19e without any extra dish. You still need to organise it and access to the dish & sort sky q access if you want that.

Thanks Rodders - we own the house and several others already have their own dishes installed due to previous issues with the communal system. It’s an odd setup and half of it has been upgraded to support Sky Q but we’ve been told it’s not possible for the remainder (which includes us) to be changed over:(

The management company have no idea what is installed where so rather than go through a load of grief with them I’d rather just get the dish done and dusted!

You can sometimes add an lnb at the communal dish and a diseqc switch on you dedicated cable, so your property has 28e & 19e without any extra dish. You still to organise it and access to the dish.

I did think of that but It’s going to far simpler to have my own dish - it’s a street of houses rather than a block of flats and was built in two phases - our phase has a separate multiswitch (in manhole!) which is getting in the way....

Would I need a diseqc switch serve if I’m taking individual feeds from two LNBs direct into each receiver?

Pic of my Sky zone 1 dish with 28.2, 19.2 and 13E LNBs.
If you go for two Sky LNBs, you have to arrange them so that they are touching, which is why I used the Inverto LNBs. (all three fed into a single diseqc on cable 1 and a direct connection to the 28.2 LNB on cable 2)
If the outputs from your two LNBs are going to separate boxes, then no Diseqc switch is
DSC01135.JPG
needed.

Pic of my Sky zone 1 dish with 28.2, 19.2 and 13E LNBs.
If you go for two Sky LNBs, you have to arrange them so that they are touching, which is why I used the Inverto LNBs. (fed into a single diseqc on cable 1 and a direct connection to the 28.2 LNB on cable 2)
If the outputs from your two LNBs are going to separate boxes, then no Diseqc switch is View attachment 1173387 needed.

Awesome, thanks all for the info.

@TJT1 - where are you located to be able to use a zone 1 dish?

Bexhill

The purists will tell you that the Inverto LNBs are designed for a circular (as seen from the LNB) dish, so might not be perfect for the elliptical Sky dish, but the setup works with all three sats having a good sig strength. (Can't remember the figures though)

I

Would I need a diseqc switch serve if I’m taking individual feeds from two LNBs direct into each receiver?

Yes .. not expensive and get a 4 to 1 just in case if you were to go down this route.

NB a $ky Q lnb (2-way Q-only or 6-way hybrid ideally?) will be essential if $ky Q is required; no matter what other sat/lnb option is chosen.

Freehold or Leasehold may be important still for any need for permission. As might the Planning depending on number of antennas already on your building/ its height. It's very unusual to have houses with communal antenna systems installed and the Council Planners might even have removed permitted development rights for them? You can often check such stuff online or read the conveyancing documents from when you bought for such restrictions (including Covenents).

You may well get away with installing without permission, as neighbours have so far, but...
It's often possible to mount things out of public view or on 'temporary' ground mounts to circumvent some restrictions.

Understood but AFAIK we don’t have any restrictions (will check obviously!)

Still confused as to why I need a diseqc switch if I’m feeding two separate boxes directly?

You don't. But I think that Pedro was suggesting that you 'future proof' it.
but if you do use DiSEqC, you have the added 'complication' of setting it up.
If you consider going to Q at a later date, then it would be better to fit a Q hybrid for 28E (£17.93 Amazon) as suggested by Rodders. You will only have to set the dish system up once and can switch to Q just by changing the box. The Q hybrid works with Q or legacy Sky/Freesat etc or both.

Understood but AFAIK we don’t have any restrictions (will check obviously!)

Still confused as to why I need a diseqc switch if I’m feeding two separate boxes directly?

The need for a diseqc switch was mainly if you put a 2nd lnb on the communal dish (for 19e) & reused the existing cable or cables from the communal system (presumably it's a multiswitch but it may be another configuration).
It's just one novel solution/ option to a situation such as yours which is obviously quite common. There are several solutions - other solutions may or may not require a diseqc switch.

Sky Q and hybrid LNBs only come in the form to suit sky type elliptical dishes, just saying.

I read it that he wants a 28E LNB feeding one receiver and 1 19E LNB feeding another. So no diseqc switch required.

Yes, but he's in a property that it may or may not cause a problem if he installs a dish so it's just an option that gets round the need for a dish.
Actually if there are 2 feeds to the property from the communal system then that adds another couple of options using just an lnb on 19e bouncing off a communal dish eg - 1 feed to 28e one to 19e & no diseqc switch or 2 outputs with diseqc switches.

I've installed on lots of properties with restrictive covenants or tenancy agreemeets etc regarding installing your own dish - all depends on the particular location / councils/ management/ neighbours etc. but if all else fails .. you can still use the above as a fall back.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom