Dish Picture Quality / Sky HD

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Chateaux, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Chateaux

Chateaux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Spent a little while on the search for this but found nothing, apologies if it's been covered before...

I have Sky+ and the picture quality isn't so hot on my HD TV. I'm pretty sure it's down to the dish and either it's general quality or the positioning of it. A friend added an external digital aerial to get a better picture, not sure if that will help me.

My question is in changing to HD which I want to do now, can I expect to receive a 1080i picture JUST because I get a new box and use a HDMI or component cable?

I'm just worried I'll pay out for the new subscription, and I'll see no real difference than the picture getting slightly better from scart to HDMI...

Thoughts my good people?

2. Ragnarok

Ragnarok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    A HDMI cable with letting a SKY HD box upscale the picture for your HDTV may make an improvement especialy if your TV has a poor scaler like many cheep and samsung tv's do. If your TV is a good one with a good scaler( panasonic/sony) there will be a marginal diffrence and you probably won't notice it.

High defintion channel makes a big diffrence quality wise, but most channels are still SD and will be for quite a while and HD channels don't always broadcast HD but upscaled SD( but usualy the Channel will still look better than it's SD counterpart).

It's a bit of a myth that the dish affects picture quality. With any digital signal while the common myth you ether get a picture or you don't is mostly true, if the signal is right on the borderline where the error correction cannot completely reconstruct the signal it will become glitchy. the signal should be fine except in extreme heavy rain on a good installation.

As far as the box goes and you are unhappy with the picture comming from that, If your picture and sound are not breaking up and the signal levels look good, then the only way to improve the picture quality is to yell at the broadcaster and tell them to encode the signal at a higher bitrate and use better quality feeds for events. Many broadcasters tend to sacrifice quality for quantaty.

3. Chateaux

Chateaux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah that's interesting then Ragnarok. Thanks. I was convinced it was something to do with the dish, but maybe not then.

In that case having a better cable is basically my only way of slightly improving the quality. It's a shame the Sky+ box doesn't have anything other than Scart output.

I wonder if I can use the HD box for just watching normal SD channels and not bother with the £10 subscription for the HD channels. As there aren't really that many I'd bother with right now.

4. fredsie

fredsie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Well you certainly can do this, and remember you would also be able to watch the "free" HD channels - BBC, Channel 4, and any further ones that come along (ITV in the spring?) in high definiton. But I'm not sure Sky are keen to fit an HD box if you're not going to pay the sub. Some have subscribed to HD to start with, then cancelled after the 12 months. Others have bought the box on Ebay and installed it themselves.