1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish on a Pole!! So simple

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by hornydragon, Aug 4, 2002.

1. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Well that was a long thread
    I have to get things sorted at my parents house, as I have an ex ITV-D Nokia and the arial is 20 years old. But then the new next door neighbours had a sky Dish mounted on the aerial pole!!! How wonderful I completely missed that seeing them all on a wall mount. So my plan is to have a new 100 element wide band aerial on a new pole on the chimney and mount a 40cm dish on the base of the pole where it willl be hidden from veiw by the chimney, add a dual LNb or Quad for the right money and run the Sat to my room and the lounge, and the aerial to a distribution box in the loft then to my room the Lounge and my parents room, wait for some good second hand sat digi boxes, and wehey. Digital all round the house. FTV of Course, SKy aint gettin a penny out of me.
    2 Problems Cost and MAF (Mother Acceptance Factor) but with recent storms knackering the analogue picture to a very snowy ghosty one MAF is better. But do I try my self or get a Pro?
    Your Input is needed. PS If I can get a camera I will Post a pic of the neighbours install, which for those of you with WSI (Wife Sat Issues) may help.;) :confused: :eek: :rolleyes: :( :blush: :) :D As you can see mixed emotions at this point, this could be the ultimate install on one pole if I could get a DAB antennae and an FM Omni Loop as well.

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Don't get an FM Omni aerial they aren't that great. You'll get much better reception if you get a 'normal' FM aerial and point it the right way.

I'm currently in the process of sorting out my own aerial system at home, adding a DAB aerial to the system, which will run direct to our Arcam A10 DAB tuner.

When you get your bits look around for a decent satellite and aerial distributor. We use on in Herts called SCC, I think they deal with retail as trade customers, they have very good technical support.

Make sure you use good aerial cable, some CT/FT100/125 is advisable to retain good signal transmission and low interferance.
    It's probably worth buying a 100m drum of it, that's what I did and that's not enough for my house.

Where do you live?

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Kinver Nr Stourbridge in West Midlands, not far from Steve Green.
    Do SCC have a web site, I will need an Distributor that can do digi and analogue from the same aerial at the same time. Is the cable you quoted 75 Ohm Coax, Could I use the same cable for terristrial and Sat Digi as well as Terristrial Analogue? new aerial is definate, dish is 50-50 but the Pole mount idea seems so simple, Why have I not seen it before? It would fit just in the shadow of the chimney so could only be seen from one side, asssuming the neighbours points at the right sat, Dish looks so small the signal must be good.
    I hope so anyhow.

PS Retro I am doing Electronics at Cardiff Uni having just done an HND at UWIC. We could trade notes.

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Try www.sccdistribution.co.uk there is a phone number on there, as you need a trade account for the products bit.

They sell several aerials that will be suitbale for both analoge and digital terrestrial siganls. It is advisable to run a single cable for each dish/aerial from outside to the distribution point, and run a dedicated lead for each digital satellite feed, to maintain the best quality. You can get an aerial amplifier/splitter diplexer that will also take a satellite input, but unless it is a fairly expensive one (ie one for a housing block) it will not take more.

The cable is 75ohm, as all aerial cable should be.

I've seen very few pole mounted dishes, probably because it takes more time to mount them there rather than on the wall, and sky installers 'don't have the time'. Just make sure you use a sturdy mount to stop the dish from swaying and losing signal.

5. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the main reson is that sky installers won't do it. They are not alowed to go on a roof . In the sky contract somware were it talks about instalation i think it mentions somthing about not mounting on a chimnee (is that how you spell it) . This is another very good reson to go to a indi installer .

I would have thought it the ideal solution especialy if you have a lot of high trees .You do see a few pole instalations around here but they tend to be atached to the wall and go well above the roof line . Most of these i have seen tend to be the big motorised dishes though

Good luck;)

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Well the idea continues, top marks to brymar for getting back to me in 24 hours with prices, main problem is my mum hates the sight of a sat dish half way up a wall with black coax snaking roun the building, but our new neighbours have one on the base of the aerial pole, so discrete she didn't relise what it was and thought it not to bad. Progress after 5 years.....
    So depending on self install price and local installer price it may be a goer. So all of you that have WAF troubles get a compass for £1.99 from millets and check if the base of the aerial pole is LOS to 28.2 deg east. If it is you could be on to a wiinner, our house is perfect as the chimney cover the back of the dish and the apex of the roof the the road side, so to see the dish you would need to be half way down the garden.

7. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    As a few have mentioned 75 ohm co-ax,if it's of any interest i recieved a flyer from CPC last week and they were doing a drum for around £14 *IIRC*.If this is of any use to anyone i'll confirm the cost and show the part number.