1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Alignment

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by David Keegan, Feb 3, 2002.

1. David Keegan

David Keegan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the second time in a year my Sky Digital dish has been blown out of alignment by our recent storms, is it worth trying to re-align it myself by trial and error or am I best to just call an expert again? and reeeaaalllyyy tighten the bolts this time

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could try yourself if you have someone to shout to you, just try one adjustment at a time V/H, don't undo all the bolts, as it might have just blown sidewards............and move it mm's at a time.
    Have you an idea where the indicator bars were, (signal and strength) use this as a guide, there are channels that are weaker than others 302, 303, 304, these seem to go very quickly in a heavy storm, (was told these are at the edge of the dish, don't know if there is any truth in it) so going buy that, if you can get these and you have no problems with them, you should have cracked it...........no harm in trying........

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The horizontal adjustment is more important then the vertical and also most likely to have been moved by high winds unless your dish is very exposed. You could consider buying a meter that you plug into the dish while you are up the ladder adjusting it. It probably won't cost much more than an engineers visit and you may need it over and over again. Or you could just have a go at it and see what happens. Take it very easy though.

4. David Keegan

David Keegan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your help, it seems that the adjustments are really critical so investment in a meter is the best option, again thanks to yourself and bob007 for your input, any other advice would be welcome.

5. JPC

JPC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree its best to invest in a meter.........
    It will save you loads in the long run.......
    Make sure its suitable for digital and has a tone switch for H & V.

Its probably the best investment any one can make with regards to satillite TV....

I have a ten year old Multisatillite System which I have re-aligned a few times and its surprisingly easy to do...... especialy after youve done it once....

If the thick Sky engineers who came to do my digibox installation can do it,........ then Im sure you can!!

Regards JOHN P C

6. David Keegan

David Keegan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your input JPC, looking seriously at this move. David