Disgusting (MAD) ..... yeap oil prices again

Monty Burns

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Taken from this link

• Oil prices plummeted to a one-year low in European trading, with the price of US crude oil falling below $83 a barrel.

And the price has been falling for some weeks...... so why am I STILL paying £1.10 for the 95 ron stuff??? :mad: I reckon by the end of today, assuming it stays at this, we should be back on 70-80pence..... yeah right, welcome to dream land!

(rehtorical (sp?:D) question)

It's called CAPITALISM in other words profit before people

It's called CAPITALISM in other words profit before people

Its not just that...tax has a bit to do with it as well....I had a couple of weeks in the Canaries earlier this year when petrol was about £1.20/litre here,and found it was 80p/litre there,after being hauled out 200 miles into the Atlantic.

Yep, if oil prices stay this low then there is no reason whatsoever for us to be paying > £1 per litre of unleaded, should be 95p or so (taking into account the drop in the £-$ exchange rate)

I'm disgusted about it too...was going to start my own thread but figured someone would be along soon enough! It is time for blockades, positive action and a damn good public uprising. The petrol giants are having an easy ride of it because of all the other headlines!

:rotfl: You sure your taking the right pills?

I'm definitely taking the wrong ones!

Gordon Brown has demanded petrol price cuts today.

[/url]

That comment just made me laugh. Gordon Brown wants petrol prices to come down but doesn't want to change the amount of tax he charges on each litre of fuel.

The man has a bare faced cheek, why doesn't he also reduce the level of tax on fuel.

Gordon Brown has demanded petrol price cuts today.

Tesco has cut prices 3p per litre, expect the others to follow

Tesco PLC - TESCO CUTS FUEL PRICE BY 3P PER LITRE

Yet all our local Tescos are on the exact same price as they were before the announcement. Nice bit of publicity.

By the way if we sold our petrol for 95p today we would be losing 8 pence per litre.

In a rising market the refiners pass on the cost immediately, in a falling market they take their time. Utterly corrupt and wrong but successive governments have allowed them to do this and refuse to investigate.

But please please please everyone, stop blaming retailers I'm actually fed up of it. Since 1990 10,000 petrol stations have gone bust, since 1970 20,000 have disappeared. There are now around 9,000 stations compared with 30,000 in the 1930s. Yet each station now serves a much larger footprint. If petrol was such a lucrative thing to sell why do you think all the independents are going bust?

Please focus your anger on the oil companies, not innocent retailers.

Yet all our local Tescos are on the exact same price as they were before the announcement. Nice bit of publicity.

By the way if we sold our petrol for 95p today we would be losing 8 pence per litre.

In a rising market the refiners pass on the cost immediately, in a falling market they take their time. Utterly corrupt and wrong but successive governments have allowed them to do this and refuse to investigate.

But please please please everyone, stop blaming retailers I'm actually fed up of it. Since 1990 10,000 petrol stations have gone bust, since 1970 20,000 have disappeared. There are now around 9,000 stations compared with 30,000 in the 1930s. Yet each station now serves a much larger footprint. If petrol was such a lucrative thing to sell why do you think all the independents are going bust?

Please focus your anger on the oil companies, not innocent retailers.

Very true. Most petrol stations have been sold to developers who put a block of flats in its place. If selling petrol was very profitable owners wouldn't be selling up to developers. Its allot harder to find a petrol station in London than it used to be. I would say 2/3rds of the stations I used to use in town are now gone.

Given that the oil companies hold the governments by the short-and-curlies there's no wonder that they don't get pressed very hard...

Very true. Most petrol stations have been sold to developers who put a block of flats in its place. If selling petrol was very profitable owners wouldn't be selling up to developers. Its allot harder to find a petrol station in London than it used to be. I would say 2/3rds of the stations I used to use in town are now gone.

I can think of at least seven in my locality that have gone in the last 10 years, originally to housing but the most recent ones are just derelict empty lots.

I can think of at least seven in my locality that have gone in the last 10 years, originally to housing but the most recent ones are just derelict empty lots.

They will probably stay vacant for while due to the state of the current housing market. IMO its sad to see them go as they do serve a purpose. If I am low on fuel and in town I really have to plan my route, I never had to do this say 10 years ago. Supermarkets have their own petrol stations but they dont always have the best fuel. I can see the supermarkets taking over this market. We already getting some supermarkets merging sites with current petrol stations like BP and Marks and Spencers.

I would assume it takes time for crude oil in the Middle East to be turned into petrol in British forecourts.

The man has a bare faced cheek, why doesn't he also reduce the level of tax on fuel.

Sure. Then he can put more tax on cigarettes and alcohol. :) It's a win-win situation. :rolleyes: Make the nation happier with cheaper fuel, then make them healthier by dissuading them from buying cigarettes and alcohol.

Sure. Then he can put more tax on cigarettes and alcohol. :) It's a win-win situation. :rolleyes: Make the nation happier with cheaper fuel, then make them healthier by dissuading them from buying cigarettes and alcohol.

I dont drink and smoke a little so it wouldn't bother me. Maybe if they stopped giving money away to lazy bums, wasting tax payers money on people who dont deserve it and over paying for services we it could have cheaper fuel. ;)

Funny how we talk about the tax on petrol should be less than it is but there have been debates on AVForums before about scrapping the road fund license and putting the cost on petrol :suicide:

They will probably stay vacant for while due to the state of the current housing market. IMO its sad to see them go as they do serve a purpose. If I am low on fuel and in town I really have to plan my route, I never had to do this say 10 years ago. Supermarkets have their own petrol stations but they dont always have the best fuel. I can see the supermarkets taking over this market. We already getting some supermarkets merging sites with current petrol stations like BP and Marks and Spencers.

its very expensive to decommission an old petrol station we did one about 12 years ago and it was a nightmare, the tanks and pipes have to be treated like a new born baby and filled with an inert foam and cant be cut on site, even digging them out costs a small fortune. In the same way they go OTT on asbestos.

cheaper to leave em unless the lands in a very high price area

Filled up with unleaded petrol at Tesco this morning at £1.05/ litre and then as I drove past 3 hours later they were changing the sign to read £1.02/litre. . Balls :rolleyes:

I would assume it takes time for crude oil in the Middle East to be turned into petrol in British forecourts.

For many people fuel is a necessity, I could not conduct my daily business without it. As for cigarettes and alcohol, they are simply a matter of personal choice and I could not give a monkeys if the government slapped on further tax's.

its very expensive to decommission an old petrol station we did one about 12 years ago and it was a nightmare, the tanks and pipes have to be treated like a new born baby and filled with an inert foam and cant be cut on site, even digging them out costs a small fortune. In the same way they go OTT on asbestos.

cheaper to leave em unless the lands in a very high price area

Interesting, I hadn't even considered that, thanks :)

Because he's just spent £37bn of tax on bank shares?

with northern rock and the other deals its coming close to 1 trillion pounds

expect many many many tax increases all over, 20% to council tax just to cover the billion thats been lost to icesave

hmmm, in no way do i support the stupid high prices... but - whilst this is true..

Oil prices plummeted to a one-year low in European trading, with the price of US crude oil falling below $83 a barrel.

How much lower is the pound vs the dollar... and seeing as we buy in dollars that will make a difference surely?

And what about last year and the year before etc... This spend has only just happened. We get raped in the UK for everything. :(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom