Disgusted with Welcome Break Services company

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
It's not that disgraceful, the British Legion are being allowed to sell poppies but Welcome Break are prioritising Children in Need.

maxwell

Distinguished Member
It's not that disgraceful, the British Legion are being allowed to sell poppies but Welcome Break are prioritising Children in Need.
Yes they have graciously given them all of 2 days to collect

Iain42

I will now prioritise other service stations over Welcome Break.

Simian Sibling

Next thing you know they will be forcing people on TV to wear poppies......

Iain42

The thing that should have made you wonder about the headline were a couple of words at the end of the URL link
"Daily Express"
Could have been much worse, could have ended Mirror or Star....

Simian Sibling

mooperman

Distinguished Member
Another story that needs the surface scratching before we all go charging out with our pitchforks. Why bother with the facts when I'm more than up for a good burnin'....:rolleyes:

SteakAndCake

Distinguished Member
A total non story. Private company exercising their right to promote their favourite charity. Offended people exercising their right to pee in bottles.

Doug the D

Distinguished Member
Big headline: -

WELCOME BREAK HATE ALL DEAD SOLDIERS

Mmm, this is an interesting story, let's read the whole article, and see if it's another non-story, with the polar-opposite of the headline happening a the end:

Ah, yes:
"We believe customers will understand that it's important for us to prioritise our official charity of choice and whilst we have the utmost respect for the Poppy Appeal, and will display collection boxes at every available opportunity, we don't want to overload our customers with charitable requests."

Last night the Royal British Legion moved to defuse the row.

A statement said: "The Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal is pleased, once again, to be working with Welcome Break at its many locations across the UK during this year's appeal.

"The Legion is grateful for the support that Welcome Break is providing to the Poppy Appeal, including permission to collect on site, and the Legion also understands that their chosen charity Children in Need will at times receive priority."

So then, yet another headline that 'grab's the reader with it's complete nonsense, followed up by an article which ends with the writer showing the complete opposite of the headline...Journalism at it's peak...

SteakAndCake

Distinguished Member
Hating on paedophiles or banging the soldier worship drum are always two reliable headline generators for the tabloid scum.

Doug the D

Distinguished Member
Hating on paedophiles or banging the soldier worship drum are always two reliable headline generators for the tabloid scum.
And in the majority of cases, the facts don't support the headlines, as I've shown with this one. FWIW, I'm an ex-soldier, and I do think remembering is very important.
I do also hate paedophilia. I don't need the press to tell me to though!

kBm

Distinguished Member
Teenage poppy seller left with burns to face after thug attacks him with 'flamethrower'
Teenage poppy seller left with burns to face after thug attacks him with 'flamethrower' - Mirror Online

We dont want to sell a story 'straight' now do we...

The 15-year-old, who was wearing his camouflaged uniform, was waiting at a bus stop next to Manchester Art Gallery, opposite George Street in Manchester, when a man approached him with an aerosol can and a lighter.
Dont get me wrong, being attack like this is deplorable, but it has nothing to do with selling poppies. (We dont know yet if his uniform is a factor).

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
It saddens me that threads are started like this. Surely we don't need to give a helping hand to the gutter press?