Disgusted with CEX

Refused

Prominent Member
Reaction score
What a horrible store.
I was told they had 3 Wii's in stock, and nearly died of joy! Then they told me they wanted £350 for one.
I pity anyone who pays nearly TWICE the retail price for the console.
They were also selling USED and UNBOXED Ds Lites for over retail price of a brand new one.

Yeah they did this with the Xbox360 too - I already had one but I went in asking them why they were charging so much, and he said "If people are stupid enough to pay this much for it, we're smart enough to sell it for this much" - very harsh but unfortunatly very true.

Im being a bit stupid here but what is CEX?

:confused:

It depends how they got these units, last year they were paying £500 for a 360, so if they bought these units from customers thay are paying £290, they have to have a mark up for themselves.

http://www.cex.co.uk/search.php?ispostback=1&cat=796&section=1&pl=5

If on the other hand, they got from a supplier I agree it is isnt right, put no different to TRU forcing people who had waited hours in the freezing cold for a Wii to buy bundles they dont want.

Yep I tottered into their London store yesterday on the lookout for a nunchuck (no joy) and I must admit it has been a good few years since I use to frequent this store (on a weekly basis :) ) but it is all looking very tired and expensive in there now. Still I could of traded my just picked up Wii console slung on my back at the time for a quick £75 profit or £100 store credit.

I used to go in CEX quite often, but it just seems shabby and rundown now.
You'd think with the massive profit they make they could at least sweep the floor once in a while.

From what I read on the CEX forum they said they would not pay over RRP for any Wii. I think you got a bit extra if you exchanged for CEX credit rather than cash.

Nickp.

Still I could of traded my just picked up Wii console slung on my back at the time for a quick £75 profit or £100 store credit.

My point exactly, this is how CEX will be getting most of there Wii's. They cant then sell at £180 :suicide:

the one in southampton was selling 360 hard drives for £120 last christmas, stupid

they used to be good when they sold their games when they arrived rather than their actual release date (i guess they got caught, cos they dont do it anymore), all when down hill when they started buying/selling mobiles

they also play really bad dance music, really makes you think twice about buying if there's a queue

they also play really bad dance music, really makes you think twice about buying if there's a queue
Would of been happy with some dance music yesterday, they seemed to be playing Thrash metal when I was in there, bloody loud too :rolleyes:

Would of been happy with some dance music yesterday, they seemed to be playing Thrash metal when I was in there, bloody loud too :rolleyes:

Nothing like a bit of the old thrash!
I generally hate loud music in shops though, it distracts me from spending money.

Nothing like a bit of the old thrash!
I generally hate loud music in shops though, it distracts me from spending money.

Yes I had the urge to climb the counter and dive into the shoppers below for a bit of crowd surfing :D

What a horrible store.
I was told they had 3 Wii's in stock, and nearly died of joy! Then they told me they wanted £350 for one.
They were also selling USED and UNBOXED Ds Lites for over retail price of a brand new one.

It's always been a horrible store and has always sold used goods for more than you can buy them for new. I've no idea why they're still in business.

It's always been a horrible store and has always sold used goods for more than you can buy them for new. I've no idea why they're still in business.

That because many people don't buy stuff outright from them using cash/cards. A lot of people rely on trading in other stuff against what they want to buy and there aren't many places that offer that. CEX doesn't really have any major competition.

Has anyone had good experience from sending stuff in to them for sale?

They're giving £101 for DS lites, that's a £1 more than I spent new :p

I thought both Game and Gamestation offered trade ins. And they're both better stores!
Of course, the internet is better and cheaper than any of them! You can sell your goods for more than they'd offer you in store, and buy things you want for less!

What a horrible store.

Whilst I don't condone their behaviour to be fair a lot of stuff especially hard to get a hold of items like newly released consoles they buy in for a much higher price then suggested retail so they have to sell for a higher price. That's just the way the market is for hard to get a hold of items. It's no different from those individuals selling such items on Ebay for high prices.

CEX in Bristol want £2000 for a Jap PS3 with Ridge Racer 7. They've got the demo running in store. What a joke.

CEX in Bristol want £2000 for a Jap PS3 with Ridge Racer 7. They've got the demo running in store. What a joke.

Report them to Sony Europe, and then sit back and watch their whole franchise close down, lik-sang style.

:rotfl: :eek:

I think everyone has a love hate relationship with cex. Everyone has found a gem in there, an old game dirt cheap or the latest PS2 game at £5 less than every other shop. But then theres the dark side of CEX which appears everytime a new console is released.
Last year when the PSP was in short supply I bought 2 from virgin, walked into CEX and made £30 profit on each one. I did laugh as 2 weeks later every game shop around had stock and CEC were trying to sell PSP's at £220, they had 21 in the shop window alone!!
I think CEX just buy up as much stock as they can as they dont pay any VAT on the resale of second hand goods. I know they just constatntly buy up new consoles. I didnt think they dealt in import stuff after being slapped about by nintendo a few years back but £2k for a PS3 sounds a bit steep. You can get it for £1k from a regualr UK import shop. Good old CEX!

Has anyone had good experience from sending stuff in to them for sale?

They're giving £101 for DS lites, that's a £1 more than I spent new :p

I wanted to get rid of my usa ps2 awhile ago and they emailed me saying that you need to take it to a store to do so...i know ages ago they did part-ex online but last time i contacted them they didnt though they might changed there mind again since :confused:

They are robbers with them charging prices like they do now i remember them years ago with like of charging overpriced on latest imports but £2000 for a Ps3 and ridge racer :eek: thats the likes of people you wouldnt mind as much Sony trying to tell them what to do imo:rolleyes:

Last time I went in with 6 year old in tow, they had some serious hardcore fudge off death metal playing...:eek: Language!! :nono: Luckily he was too busy selecting his pokemon gamecube birthday present, (which was not bought from them in the end)... Funnily enough we were two of only three customers at 3:30pm on a Friday afternoon.

Over priced, dirty and unfriendly. Not a good combination for long term business survival!

Wolves had a PS3 on demo too - didn't look at the price!

I dare anyone to enquire about the £2k PS3. Get right up to the point of handing over your credit card and then declining in someway.

Say "not PS3, PS2! I can't hear myself think over this racket!"

Well, it seemed a funny idea in my head!

I am sorry!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom