Discussing the impact of Brexit

Has, and is Brexit continuing to make life and many things harder, and people poorer in the UK?

• Yes.

Votes: 397 83.6%
  • No.

Votes: 78 16.4%

• Total voters
Why on earth can't members simply say,

"Yes, travel won't be as easy, but that's the whole point of removing freedom of movement."

Instead we're now having a willie waving contest of who has traveled the most, and @Sonic67 is presenting himself as the only human being in the last twenty years (since 9/11) not to have fallen foul of the USA's notoriously slow and laborious airport immigration system.

It's embarrassing.

Apart from those who wanted a government answerable to them
You think the UK government currently answers to you, or the average voter? Seriously?

the low paid
Highly unlikely there will be a long term benefit to anyone on low pay. Even if there were "Brexit dividends" we hardly have a government in charge whose economic policies would be beneficial to those at the bottom.

those who saw UK businesses move to the EU with EU grants
We were the EU.

and anyone not on the EU gravy train
Farage?

Why on earth can't members simply say,

"Yes, travel won't be as easy, but that's the whole point of removing freedom of movement."

Instead we're now having a willie waving contest of who has traveled the most, and @Sonic67 is presenting himself as the only human being in the last twenty years (since 9/11) not to have fallen foul of the USA's notoriously slow and laborious airport immigration system.

It's embarrassing.
Yes, but I think you'll find that an awful lot of people consider "removing freedom of movement" to mean "removing freedom of movement to people who aren't me". Hence the shock when the reality train rolls into the station.

Yes, travel won't be as easy, but that's the whole point a side effect of removing freedom of movement. :)

You think the UK government currently answers to you, or the average voter? Seriously?
Again, you don't? Seriously? You didn't notice how a lot of MPs who thought they knew better than the electorate just got booted out?
Highly unlikely there will be a long term benefit to anyone on low pay. Even if there were "Brexit dividends" we hardly have a government in charge whose economic policies would be beneficial to those at the bottom.
Again do you need links to how the head of remain admitted less migration would mean a rise in wages? Or on supply and demand? Or on the rise in wages that has happened when migration fall?
We were the EU.
A Franco-German alliance where we were paying billions in but with little influence.
Who spent his life trying to put himself out of a job.

Yes, but I think you'll find that an awful lot of people consider "removing freedom of movement" to mean "removing freedom of movement to people who aren't me". Hence the shock when the reality train rolls into the station.

You're not suggesting there might be the whiff of British Exceptionalism about Brexit are you? :)

Some Leavers don’t seem to understand that when you leave a club, you no longer have access to its facilities; and screaming DON’T YOU KNOW HOW IMPORTANT I AM? doesn’t really work, especially if you’re just not *that* important.

As pointed out above, the non EU destinations are already like that.

An advantage of EU membership was faster access into member countries. Now the EU countries are just the same as non EU countries, ie, very slow.

what a Load of bollox. - have you actually ever flown anywhere or are you just an Alf-garnet keyboard warrior??

I fly all over the world - and schippol airport is a crap airport to come into. How about the fact that Heathrow flights tend to land in the furthest runway which takes around 30-40 minutes - any blaming Brexit on that?
You always have to queue up at schipol, it’s the way you are funnelled down - then you choose your immigration. Sometimes non eu lines are quicker to go down. It is retarded to assume that immigration queues are solely down to us leaving the eu - but go ahead make it another on your pet lists of hate mantra that you say to yourself every morning.

what a Load of bollox. - have you actually ever flown anywhere or are you just an Alf-garnet keyboard warrior??

I fly all over the world - and schippol airport is a crap airport to come into. How about the fact that Heathrow flights tend to land in the furthest runway which takes around 30-40 minutes - any blaming Brexit on that?
You always have to queue up at schipol, it’s the way you are funnelled down - then you choose your immigration. Sometimes non eu lines are quicker to go down. It is retarded to assume that immigration queues are solely down to us leaving the eu - but go ahead make it another on your pet lists of hate mantra that you say to yourself every morning.

I didn't make the connection between the queue and Brexit. The Independent and that Leave voter on Twitter did. I didn't draw any connection that wasn't already reported so making this about me is a little asinine.

I won't be joining Sonic's willy waving country leader-board game so you'll have to take my word that I've travelled extensively.

I didn't make the connection between the queue and Brexit. The Independent and that Leave voter on Twitter did. I didn't draw any connection that wasn't already reported so making this about me is a little asinine.
Would it be fair to assume you posted it with the intent that it would wind certain people up?, if so I don't think you can just disown it like that.

You infer. Like all your posts they are slightly baited trolling. It’s your anti leaver (let’s bash the 52 again and again and again and again) whilst trying to give your remoaner superiority.

You can’t help yourself - avf is probalbly the only outlet for your remoaner rhetoric.

Here’s some news for you WE HAVE LEFT THE EU AND ARE IN A TRANSITIONARY PERIOD.
Instead you hark back, and cannot accept the as a country we democratically decided to leave the EU.
Instead you continually mock those who decided to leave.

maybe you need to go to see your doctor as you are in denial and your medicine is not working

Would it be fair to assume you posted it with the intent that it would wind certain people up?, if so I don't think you can just disown it like that.

I posted an impact of Brexit in the impact of Brexit thread. It was cited from a major national newspaper. How that's received is really not my responsibility, although as I said, I enjoyed the Schadenfreude.

Why not wait to judge me until you see how I respond to all the positive impacts of Brexit which I'm sure will be posted any time now.

Again, you don't? Seriously? You didn't notice how a lot of MPs who thought they knew better than the electorate just got booted out?
Yep, they were well painted as enemies of the people, and it worked. Voters did the bidding of Murdoch et al.

Again do you need links to how the head of remain admitted less migration would mean a rise in wages? Or on supply and demand? Or on the rise in wages that has happened when migration fall?
Let's see how that goes. I'll be very surprised if there's a real positive effect; especially if/when big business owners start to complain about rising costs.

A Franco-German alliance where we were paying billions in but with little influence.
You have a very negative view of work done by UK MEPs; though I suspect that pretty much any EU country will claim they don't have enough influence within the bloc. Also, don't you think we might just have had a bit more influence if we'd voted in more MEPs that wanted to advocate for the UK, rather than the likes of UKIP; who turned up to the party purely to p*ss into the punchbowl and make *rses of themselves?

Who spent his life trying to put himself out of a job.
What, you mean by rarely turning up, and doing nothing productive when he did. Fair point I guess. Fortunately his personal pride wasn't beyond taking his expenses and salary (while complaining about people on the gravy train).

maybe you need to go to see your doctor as you are in denial and your medicine is not working

There's a joke there about Brexit and access to medicines, but I'll take the higher ground.

Yea... that's a bit of an odd reaction from a mod. Are people only supposed to post things that won't wind others up? It was, as S&C has noted; a bit of news, and most definitely a consequence of the UK's decision to leave the EU. If that annoys some people then perhaps they shouldn't have voted to reduce their own freedoms, no?

On the contrary, with his history I thought it a fair question to ask.

Don't let him get to you. The furthest he's every been is most likely wor gate and back.

didn’t realise the thread was called bash leave Brexit

As I've said many times. It's the Impact of Brexit thread. Good and Bad. I've posted some negative ones (not even really bad ones TBF) ( and I'm gonna post a positive one in a sec for balance).

Feel free to post positive impacts. I promise to take them with the same calm mature response I've witnessed to my posts.

Yep, they were well painted as enemies of the people, and it worked. Voters did the bidding of Murdoch et al.
Aah, so remainers doing well out of the EU gravy train are being "painted as being enemies of the people." Yet you thought you could point out someone who might do well out of leaving? You don't see your own double standards?
Let's see how that goes. I'll be very surprised if there's a real positive effect; especially if/when big business owners start to complain about rising costs.
I wouldn't be surprised. The EU benefits big business by supplying them with a cheap migrant workforce.
You have a very negative view of work done by UK MEPs; though I suspect that pretty much any EU country will claim they don't have enough influence within the bloc. Also, don't you think we might just have had a bit more influence if we'd voted in more MEPs that wanted to advocate for the UK, rather than the likes of UKIP; who turned up to the party purely to p*ss into the punchbowl and make *rses of themselves?
No. I want to leave the EU not be in it. Please show me how we could have stopped "ever closer union" and just gone back to a common market.
What, you mean by rarely turning up, and doing nothing productive when he did. Fair point I guess. Fortunately his personal pride wasn't beyond taking his expenses and salary (while complaining about people on the gravy train).
He told the EU a lot of home truths. Unfortunately the EU doesn't like that.

Anyway, back on topic and here's a new impact of Brexit

Schiphol Airport in the Netherlands isn't waiting until the end of the transition period and directs all British travellers to the Non EU immigration queue on arrival.

So this is what air travel will look like in 12 months.

Brexiteer complains he has to wait in queue at EU airport

We then have this delicious bit of Schadenfreude.

How can they get away with that?
Because single nationality Brits are no longer EU citizens.

As pointed out above, the non EU destinations are already like that.

An advantage of EU membership was faster access into member countries. Now the EU countries are just the same as non EU countries, ie, very slow.

Seems a very small return for £10Bn a year..

For that sort of money I would expect red carpets, marching bands and free champagne.. :smoke:

If the EU were not expecting us to be economic rivals why are they so determined to see a level paying field once we leave?

Now we've left they ARE our rivals. They are now another large trading block like the US and China against which we must now compete.

The point was that while a member of the EU, it was possible for both us and other member states to thrive without the zero sum nonsense some propose.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom