Discussing the impact of Brexit

Has, and is Brexit continuing to make life and many things harder, and people poorer in the UK?

• Yes.

Votes: 397 83.6%
  • No.

Votes: 78 16.4%

• Total voters
As pointed out above, the non EU destinations are already like that.

So what? If I have to queue in Amsterdam or I have to queue in mexico?

Do UK travelers only go to the EU? Not daring to venture out in the world incase of a queue?

Get a grip of yourself.

Then I'd suggest they pull their finger out, or there will be a lot of new hot destinations for UK travelers next year.

How will they be any better? Are you thinking the USA et al will be rolling out the red carpet for UK travelers :laugh:

What was a lovely show of cooperation between 'rivals' last year was seeing that I could go through US immigration at Toronto Airport when I did a stop-over, so the following day I could fly direct from Toronto to Atlanta and not have to go through immigration.

The UK should look at doing something similar with the EU.

As pointed out above, the non EU destinations are already like that.

An advantage of EU membership was faster access into member countries. Now the EU countries are just the same as non EU countries, ie, very slow.
You need to travel more. Biggest delay I think I've ever known was "minutes."

Hardline brexiters ultimately got something better.
Absolutely; and here's the rub - not you or me. Or frankly, probably anyone on this forum, or the overwhelming majority of the UK population.

There will be opportunities to make money as a result of turmoil in financial markets, reductions in food standards and removals of regulation; but that will be limited to a small number who are in a financial position to benefit from the misery of others. No great surprise that Mogg's sister once wrote an article on how to make a profit from water shortages.

You need to travel more. Biggest delay I think I've ever known was "minutes."

Seriously? I queued for 2 hours in Miami the other year. That's probably the longest. Orlando and Phili are also horrific. Oh, and Cuba - incredibly inept.

How will they be any better? Are you thinking the USA et al will be rolling out the red carpet for UK travelers :laugh:
Whenever I've been it's never been much of an issue. :laugh:

So after the project fear of the promised outbreak of WWIII, the recession, the downfall of Western civilisation, unemployment, rise of super gonorrhea and all the other things promised, the impact of Brexit was some people don't get free entry to the Louvre and having to queue for a passport check?
*polite cough* it was a Brexiteer who was complaining about the passport check.

What was a lovely show of cooperation between 'rivals' last year was seeing that I could go through US immigration at Toronto Airport when I did a stop-over, so the following day I could fly direct from Toronto to Atlanta and not have to go through immigration.

The UK should look at doing something similar with the EU.
I don't expect preferential treatment from anyone. I'm not sure why you think this.

Seriously? I queued for 2 hours in Miami the other year. That's probably the longest. Orlando and Phili are also horrific. Oh, and Cuba - incredibly inept.

The USA is the worst by far. Lots of other countries I've been through in minutes others not so quickly.

Its all part of travelling.

Anyway, back on topic and here's a new impact of Brexit

Schiphol Airport in the Netherlands isn't waiting until the end of the transition period and directs all British travellers to the Non EU immigration queue on arrival.

So this is what air travel will look like in 12 months.

Brexiteer complains he has to wait in queue at EU airport

We then have this delicious bit of Schadenfreude.

Hmmm I flew back last Tuesday and didn't have any of that. There are ongoing works happening and many of the border checks areas keep on getting closed and move around. I had to walk to a different pier than where my KLM flight landed for example. And two weeks earlier the self-service and EU lanes on that pier were out and had to go through the same area as everyone else.

One can always just use the self-service gates when they are operating, works for many countries around the globe, both inside and outside the EU.

But hey don't let facts get in the way of your continued project fear campaign.

Absolutely; and here's the rub - not you or me. Or frankly, probably anyone on this forum, or the overwhelming majority of the UK population.
Apart from those who wanted a government answerable to them, the low paid, those who saw UK businesses move to the EU with EU grants, and anyone not on the EU gravy train. That's the problem, paying in billions for few benefits.
There will be opportunities to make money as a result of turmoil in financial markets, reductions in food standards and removals of regulation; but that will be limited to a small number who are in a financial position to benefit from the misery of others. No great surprise that Mogg's sister once wrote an article on how to make a profit from water shortages.
No great surprise as to who was telling us how wonderful the EU is.

42256260_2194358900847724_4103015956182204416_n.jpg

I've been 20 times or so since 9/11 and apart from Vegas, which is fantastic, it's been anything from bearable to bloody awful.
Never been an issue for me. You must be easily bothered.

I don't expect preferential treatment from anyone. I'm not sure why you think this.

Loads of countries have 'preferential treatment' when travelling between friendly, neighboring countries.

Russia is a nightmare for British and Americans to visit, far less so for more 'friendly' nations.

The US is easier for citizens of some countries to visit compared to others.

The US/Canada have lots of preferential travel agreements in place.

Loads and loads of local examples - not least of which is the EU.

There's no reason the UK couldn't have some kind of preferential arrangement with the EU moving forwards, but sadly that would leave some people frothing at the mouth.

You can do that for 11 months but after that every EU airport will look that that for UK travellers. That's just a sneak peak of the reality of post Brexit EU travel.
So why wouldn't you use the self-service gates? You are just looking for problems that don't have to be there.

Remainers did their best to stop any form of leaving. It lead to the electoral backlash at the GE and Boris getting a huge majority. Hardline brexiters ultimately got something better.

Terese May got a deal but it was rejected 3 times and some of those who rejected it were the hardline brexiteers.

So to imply that it was down to all the remainers is incorrect.

So why wouldn't you use the self-service gates? You are just looking for problems that don't have to be there.

In my experience, where self-service gates have been fully rolled out, they've just replaced manned booths, so you end up queuing for ages to get to the self-service gates!

The best place to use them is where they're being trialed, as people are scared of them.

In my experience, where self-service gates have been fully rolled out, they've just replaced manned booths, so you end up queuing for ages to get to the self-service gates!

The best place to use them is where they're being trialed, as people are scared of them.
Yup, that is possible. Always good to apply a bit of human intelligence and look where the queue is the shortest :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom