Discussing the impact of Brexit

Has, and is Brexit continuing to make life and many things harder, and people poorer in the UK?

• Yes.

Votes: 397 83.6%
  • No.

Votes: 78 16.4%

• Total voters
I think this news may have focused minds on things at hand

Reported on most of the newspaper and media outlets, not surprising as this is quite significant. Strangely I can't find any mention of it on the BBC website.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thank goodness Boris hasn't given in to Layla Moran and the other loonies looking for an extension or we'd be on the hook for huge payments as well.

The EU's next budget is just trying to delay the inevitable - the southern EU countries are bust.

Thank goodness Boris hasn't given in to Layla Moran and the other loonies looking for an extension or we'd be on the hook for huge payments as well.

The EU's next budget is just trying to delay the inevitable - the southern EU countries are bust.

Whats the point. Do these people get paid just to waste time. Government already said not extending and have enough majority to just ignore this nutter.

They should focus on things they can change, not keep "flogging a dead horse".

Last edited:
Whats the point. Do these people get paid just to waste time. Government already said not extending and have enough majority to just ignore this nutter.

They should focus on things they can change, not keep "flogging a dead horse".

If members in her constituency vote her in, the majority there must be happy for her to waste parliamentary time, rather than using it to address other pending issues. Not sure what her majority was.
Leave her to it 😏

It worked so well for her predecessor after all :rotfl:
Nicola Blackwood?
(now Baroness Blackwood of North Oxford, the youngest life peer when she was elevated last year :rolleyes:)

Nicola Blackwood?
(now Baroness Blackwood of North Oxford, the youngest life peer when she was elevated last year :rolleyes:)

I think we all knew he meant that goon who considered herself PM material and wanted to cancel Brexit (a large percentage of her own supporters considered this a bridge too far) but was booted out by her costituents. It was the Portillo moment of the evening for me. Pure gold.

As for Moran, in one interview she tells us her party needs to change direction but then she wants a vote in Parliament about extending the transition period. She still doesn't get it. Unfortunately, there are many who don't and like to use Covid 19 as a straw to clutch at. Shameful.

I think we all knew he meant that goon who considered herself PM material and wanted to cancel Brexit (a large percentage of her own supporters considered this a bridge too far) but was booted out by her costituents. It was the Portillo moment of the evening for me. Pure gold.

Do you mean Blackwood or not? as she was Moran's predecessor :confused:

I was thinking Jo Swinson in my original comment. Forgot that they haven’t actually had their new leadership election.

You get my gist though :)

In my defence she does seem to be acting like she’s already leader :D

Well Moran increased her majority from about 800ish (when she defeated Blackwood) to 8000ish last election, which means her constituents were not that put off by her party's direction. Dave she's your MP right?

Get with it, if a particular party wins there can be no dissent for 4/5 years . It’s a decision made by the majority and they are always correct

Well Moran increased her majority from about 800ish (when she defeated Blackwood) to 8000ish last election, which means her constituents were not that put off by her party's direction. Dave she's your MP right?
Correct. She still manages to do good local work so god only knows what hours she puts in.

The Liberal Democrats also benefit much more than other parties from incumbency, see this study: Incumbency advantage of UK members of Parliament 1959 -2010 - Nottingham ePrints

Moran's vote went up a bit more (9.5% versus the 4-8% seen in the study), but I'd be careful about reading too much into it - lots of factors that go into it, especially in the last few years :)

Reported on most of the newspaper and media outlets, not surprising as this is quite significant. Strangely I can't find any mention of it on the BBC website.

Cheers,

Nigel

Is this the same budget increase proposal that the FT reported on last October?

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

As did the Express;

Germany faces DOUBLING EU contributions to £29BN as cost of Brexit hits Brussels

Although they seem to have published it again 4 days ago;

Germany's EU nightmare as contributions SOAR 42 percent without UK - Brussels on brink

He's still peddling this rubbish.

But when the reality kicks in on it, it'll be a busy day for him taking all those phone calls :laugh:

How durghhh you!! Next you'll be questioning how bloody great our world beating contact tracing app is doing.

How durghhh you!! Next you'll be questioning how bloody great our world beating contact tracing app is doing.

Been there done that. Still waiting :laugh:

It is ridiculous that he can stand up in front of Parliament and either outright lie to everyone, or still be clueless/lazy enough on the subject that he doesn't even know what his own documents say.

We left the EU, doesn't mean we left our integrity behind as well.

But when the reality kicks in on it, it'll be a busy day for him taking all those phone calls :laugh:

It actually really comes down to what the UK-EU implementation committee decide is required to implement the protocol.

Michael Gove had an interesting view that if the EU insists on too much red tape for NI to trade with GB, it could lead to a rejection of the Irish protocol at one of the future votes: Gove rejects European Union’s assertion on Northern Ireland protocol

There are all sorts of views on whether Brexit is likely to lead to a united Ireland, however, after covid Ireland nor the EU are in no shape to provide the level of financial support to NI that GB does.

So we land at this place where each side are pushing extremes rather than finding a sensible balance.

The reality of Brexit, no longer able to be brushed aside as project fear

The pound is now an emerging-market currency in all but name, according to analysts at Bank of America, who say that Brexit has turned it into a mirror of the “small and shrinking” UK economy.

The pound is now an emerging-market currency in all but name, according to analysts at Bank of America, who say that Brexit has turned it into a mirror of the “small and shrinking” UK economy.

Posturing as they look to take us to the cleaners over a deal. Can't blame them, it's exactly what we'd try and do.

And there will be no special relationship for this one, certainly not with Trump. No doubt the US sees us as weakened these days.

Thank you for a neutral perspective rich. I did wonder why so much credence was being given to a US banker over this analysis.

Posturing as they look to take us to the cleaners over a deal. Can't blame them, it's exactly what we'd try and do.

And there will be no special relationship for this one, certainly not with Trump. No doubt the US sees us as weakened these days.

I'd imagine the feelers have already been put out to Biden's team

The FT have never been in favour of Brexit. They have opposed it in every way possible. So don't expect a balanced view on Brexit or the consequences. Sterling as an emerging market currency? Better than a declining market currency.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom