1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disc's quality noticable.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by NickBull, Mar 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With the screen being blown up to 6 feet plus various discs exhibit a vast spectrum of transfer quality. I watch some films that look soft and others that look stunning. Age of disc or the budget and hype surrounding them don't seem to be releveant.

For Example, Phantom Menace in my opinion is soft, however with the extensive use of CGI this could be a side effect. How did it look at the cinema?

Last night I watched an old disc, Sphere, and the detail and quality of the picture was stunning, sharp as a tack, every line on Dustin Hoffmans face was perfect. Sharon Stone looked he age the picture was so revealing.

I've posted findings along these lines before and the more I watch, the more convinced I am that some transfers are prety shoddy. How is the process carried out? Does something have to focus the film print to allow it to be 'captured' and then transfered onto DVD. Do manufacturers not care if a little focus is lacking, after all it's barely noticable on a conventional interlacing TV I'd say.

Cheers

Nick

2. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick,

I've noticed similar things at the local cinema so it may not be the transfer/encoding process that is to blame, the movie may just have been shot that way. There are, of course, utter travesties out there. Anyone who has the original R2 release of The Usual Suspects is probably using it to scrape ice off their windscreen in the morning. An absolute shambles that should have been rammed up the disc distributors *r*e.

3. Cam

Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I returned mine to HMV as I thought I had got a miss pressing, they exchanged it and the replacement was just as bad.It is one of the worst transfers of a modern film to DVD.

Cam

4. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the main impressed , but occasionally it really annoys me.
    Budget and hype play no part, infact films with less extras tend to be better transferes, maybe because they can encode the disc with more data and a hight bit-rate maybe?

I personnaly would love to see discs with minimal extras and maximum picture quality. The extras must cost and I hardly ever watch them, all I want is a really good picture for the film. Not intersted in having any ilusions shattered by smarmy interviews with the cast and director etc.

Superbit discs are a good idea, but they need to be priced the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.