Discs from outside the UK.

stasis

Hi, I have seen that the best bargains seem to be from Amazon's European websites.
I was tempted to buy the LOTR 4K boxset from Spain but was put off because I was unsure if it would have a English language soundtrack; and this film set has subtitles during the scenes where they are in Elvish dialogue so wasn't sure what language it would appear in.
Is it the case that it is only the Disc packaging language and menus that is foreign and the movie is in English?
I got the LOTR 4K from UK but I am interested how suitable the European sites are for UK English language.
regards Stasis.

ssbib

Distinguished Member
Hi, I have seen that the best bargains seem to be from Amazon's European websites.
I was tempted to buy the LOTR 4K boxset from Spain but was put off because I was unsure if it would have a English language soundtrack; and this film set has subtitles during the scenes where they are in Elvish dialogue so wasn't sure what language it would appear in.
Is it the case that it is only the Disc packaging language and menus that is foreign and the movie is in English?
I got the LOTR 4K from UK but I am interested how suitable the European sites are for UK English language.
regards Stasis.
Plenty of people on a FB group have bought that set. It definitely has English soundtracks and I think it has English subs where needed. I believe it’ll ask your region when it starts up so selecting UK should force the English subs.

stasis

Thanks, I take it that movies posted on the 4K price drop thread will all be suitable for UK viewing?

I've bought close to 200 4K discs from Italy, Germany, Spain and France and all have been suitable for UK viewing.

The only difference I've seen is with the boxes having foreign text on them.

ssbib

Distinguished Member
Thanks, I take it that movies posted on the 4K price drop thread will all be suitable for UK viewing?
Should be. In all my time collecting I’ve only ever come across 1 disc that didn’t have a default audio track and that was evident if I had done a little more research.

stasis

Thanks guys, good to know it is worthwhile looking out for a bargain wherever it comes from.
regards stasis.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
99.99% of the discs released by Hollywood based Studios will be English friendly. There are few exceptions like Legend of Tarzan France from WB which has French Atmos and English DD.

I heard Hobbit DE disc has menus in German but does contain English Atmos / subtitles similar to Sucker Punch Extended Cut.

GeorgeL78

I've bought a fair few and only 1 disc had any issue for English language and that was the Italian Green Book steelbook. Played fine in English but whenever the characters spoke in Italian the subtitles did not show so ended up missing a few lines! Will likely buy a cheap secondhand UK one to replace the disc into the steelbook at some point...

lgans316

Distinguished Member
I've bought a fair few and only 1 disc had any issue for English language and that was the Italian Green Book steelbook. Played fine in English but whenever the characters spoke in Italian the subtitles did not show so ended up missing a few lines! Will likely buy a cheap secondhand UK one to replace the disc into the steelbook at some point...

Because it was authored and distributed by a local company like 4Kult / Leone Group etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom