Discs Errors

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MATTHEW, Oct 2, 2003.

1. MATTHEW

MATTHEW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to be getting more and more disc errors on my Philips dvdr 880.
    You record something,watch it,then erase it,record another program but there is still some of the previous recording left on the disc even though the menu says it's an empty disc.It's happened on about 3 discs which I have since thrown away.

Anyone got any ideas Is the recorder at fault or the disc?I'm using Philips own discs:confused:

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi Mathew

Unfortunately you are not alone. The Philips machines have many bugs and this is just one of them.

The machine is faulty and needs sending back.

Go here http://www.dvdplusrw.org/cgi/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=SF;f=4 to read lots of similar complaints, you are not alone, also see the thread titled "+r/rw or -r/rw" in this forum. If you can get your money back or exchange to another model you might want to consider going for something else.

Regards

Philip

3. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,147
    How long have you had your 880dvdr?I sent mine back to belguim twice,on the second time a 75dvdr can back as a replacement:clap: If you haven't had it 12 months send it back to where you brought it.As phillipL says check out
    http://www.dvdplusrw.org/cgi/forum/....cgi?act=SF;f=4
    you will be in for a surprice.I must say had the philips 75dvdr for 6 months now and not had one problem with it.:clap:

4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Contact Philips-or go to their site-they have yet another firmware update to sort this problem out.You can download and burn it yourself or they will post it to you.Fix it-then sell it.Get a Panasonic

5. MATTHEW

MATTHEW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input guys,it is just about 12 months old,and to be honest I've lost confidence not only in the machine but also in the brand,after all 12 months is no time at all.I'm thinking of the Sony RDGR-GX7 as a possible replacement.

Any thoughts?
    Tosh 32zd26p, Sony stvra555es, Arcam cd62, Pioneer 747a, Sky digital, AE Evo 3b spkrs(inc evo compact for 6.1 duties)

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Top machine - quite expensive but you can get some good deals on it. If you don't need iLink then consider the cheaper GX3. The benefit of the Sony is you'll still be able to use your + disks although for all the editting (etc) features you'll need to use - disks.

7. MATTHEW

MATTHEW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that m8.
    I was hoping you might read my thread coz you seem to be a bit of an AV GURU.( NO SARCASM...NO BULL****)

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Oh please don't say that - you'll upset Primitive.

Anyway if you want the specs of the Sony machines you can find the GX7 here:
    http://www.avland.co.uk/sony/rdrgx7/index.htm

...and the GX3 here:
    http://www.avland.co.uk/sony/rdrgx3/index.htm

They both have RGB in and other features that you would regard as standard. The only difference is the more expensive GX7 has iLink (for use with Digital Camcorders) and is a heavy build machine (which arguably makes it the best DVD recorder for DVD-Video playback). Sony shops are fairly well spread around the country - why not pop in one and have a play. They all have the recorders on display.

9. primitive

primitive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak when you give helpful replies like the one above without bias you earn respect. Try to treat all questions with the same respect and give fair and honest advice and you will be the AV Guru.

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Primitive - you have no idea how much a comment like that winds me up. The vast majority of my comments on this forum are technical advice - EVERY e-mail I get through the site is technical in nature and I always try to help. I have spent hours at times trying to assist people and alot of people ***know*** this because I have helped them.

Which implies I do not always do so. I do not dispute I am 'Sharp' with people who look for arguments - and Primitive you did come looking for an argument. The comments I make are from direct experience working in the industry and seeing and using the machines I talk about. Whether or not you like what you read is NOT my problem.

11. MATTHEW

MATTHEW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now now boys,play nicely!!! Surely we are all after AV Nirvana

I've just been on another forum concerning +R AND +RW formats (specifically Phillips)and I've come away thinking my machine(dvdr880) is a piece of doggy poo,considering the amount of complaints/repairs etc.
    So,being in the enviable position of " money no object(just don't tell the wife)I'm gonna audition the Sony.

Now you two boys play nice.

,,,,,,,,,,,,and thanks for the advice!