1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

discs don't play on dvd player, but work on computer

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dtww, Aug 19, 2005.

1. dtww

dtww

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there anything special I need to do to make my DVD disc playable on DVD players? All my discs play on computer but for some reasons, some will play on dvd players, and some don't. I can't figure out why. They are all from the same iso. The only thing i can think of at the moment is that the most recent batch of discs were done in "multiple" (the program prompt you to insert the next disc to burn), rather than burning each copy one at a time. thanks for any help, I tried looking but don't find the answer here.

David

2. dtww

dtww

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read a post in usenet that writing the dvd disc in "maximum" speed caused problems fo rplaying back on DVD players. My most recent discs were burn in "maximum", but the earlier ones were "8x". Is this where the problem is? Thanks
    David

3. hammy

hammy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What programme are you using to burn your discs?

When i first started burning discs i used to have similar problems to yourself, most discs would not play in certain of my friends dvd players but played ok on my PC and ps2 and even my own panasonic dvd player, i changed discs even using TYs and still the problem existed, and after trying other software it turned out to be the burning software that i was using that was crap (£60 not well spent :mad: ).

Hammy

4. Zebadiah Twine

Zebadiah Twine
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got a DVD player that will play absolutely anything that you throw at it, except discs burned with a certain version of Nero. Not much help admittedly but it does show that there can be random, hard to fathom problems.

5. MikeNolan

MikeNolan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What version of Nero is causing the problem?

6. dtww

dtww

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hammy you might be well right there - I have been using three pcs and on two of them the same version of nero and on the third one a "lite version" that came with the DVD writer. those burnt using the lite version all work ok, but then on the the other two pcs, some discs work, some don't. I got two discs in the set, first disc seems to be always ok no matter what, but the second one is flaky. at the mo I can't isolate the problem to the file (I did a bit of editing and then burn a new iso) or the writer, but from what you said it may well be the writer software. I'll test it.

7. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Are the non-playable discs finalised?
    It's a guess, but Nero 'Lite' does it automatically (or the setting was Finalise After Burn), but your full versions have had that option unchecked.
    If they are unfinalised they'll only play on the machine that wrote them (but could be compatible across PC DVD drives),

8. dtww

dtww

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if believe in all cases I used "finalise" but then I don't recall having to explicitly tick the box when I use the non-lite version - now I discover it's version 6.0, the lite version is 6.3.x

having said what I said earlier about two disc images, I seem to be contradicting myself when I said disc 1 image works ok whatever version of nero I used, yet disc 2 image fails when I use the full nero. having said that, I don't remember ticking "finalise" when burning disc 1 image using full nero, and so far all disc 1 are ok. So not conclusive at the moment as far as my mind can bear it..... in any case, I have replaced nero 6.0 with nero lite 6.3 on one of the pcs and have started burning disc 2. I will know tomorrow when I tried different version of disc 2 on a dvd player. I thought getting the raw video to iso is already painful enough. :D

9. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I haven't used Nero to burn DVDs, but when it's used for audio CDs the Finalise setting is automatically On but can be turnd off.

Try putting one of the non-playable discs back in the PC that burned it and see if you can add to the disc. If so, it's not finalised. In this case there should be an option to finalise it somewhere.

10. dtww

dtww

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, last night I burnt (and finalised) a dvd (dvd2 in the set) using Nero 6.3 lite. It didn't play on the dvd player. the only difference between this dvd copy and the dvd copy I made (and this is playable) on my second pc is the iso image (nero version the same, 6.3). but I also burnt dvd1 disc and this disc work on the dvd player. this makes me think that it's the iso image. What I am going to try now is to do a disc-disc copy from a playable dvd. I soon will get myself very confused... :rolleyes:

Could someone suggest a more reliable burning software? preferably a freeware? Thanks

11. philbam

philbam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    Try using DVDDecrypter.Acts as a copy programme and burning programme, and is also free,probably the best on the market at the moment!!

12. dtww

dtww

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the help! I created two images, using dvd decryptor and nero, and then used nero to burn. though I haven't ruled everything out, I am quite sure my problem was the original image. I also had to change the disc volume name. and maybe somewhere along the line some problem arose that make the disc not playable on dvd player. anyway, I hope I am ok from now on! :) thanks again to all those who suggested solutions, I learnt a great deal! :hiya:

13. redheat

redheat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have this problem with some discs given to me, I have found that reburning them at a lower speed always does the trick. first upgrade your version of Nero to 6.6.16 it is free from nero.com (check also that you have the latest firmware for your DVD burner). Then copy the contents of the Video_TS directory to a temp directory on your harddrive. Then open nero, go to burn DVD and at the final screen set the burn speed to a lower then maximum ( I always use x6). My Pioneer 109 can burn RITEK G05's x8 at x12 but never use it!