1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discrete Sound

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by StevieB, Jul 13, 2005.

1. StevieB

StevieB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Can anyone help.

I am looking to a system, whereby I can watch/listen to dvd's and music in various rooms, all streamed from a central server.

At the moment, I am considering going for something along the lines of a media pc in each room, or in the bedrooms for example a Rockulabs Photobridge.

Still undecided which to go for, but thats not where my problem lies.

What I would like information on is I would like to be able to have in ceiling/discrete speakers in the bedrooms, and was wondering how I can get the signal from my source (i.e. a media pc) in the room, to these speakers, without the need for a separate amp.

I have considered installing something like the Systemline Modular system, with it's local input source, but this seems to be a lot of work just to get sound to some speakers in a room.

Is there any way of getting sound from the media pc outputs, direct to the speakers?

Can anyone help?

2. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    steve

unless the speakers are powered, then some form of amp will be required.

KEF are bringing out a near looking sub sat system that sits in the void of the ceiling and looks like spot lights two are little speakers and the other two are ports for the subbox that sits in the void of the ceiling.

I've alway thought that some of the cheap 2.1 pc speakers out there will be fine for a room, but cables are always an issue.

some sound cards can give up to three or four zones. i'd imaging that the easiest way would be to run cables behind the coving, and use some ceiling speakers. Otherwise it's a pc in each room or a wifi media server like the roku or similar.

alot of tv senders can be used to radio wave the sound to a tv/hifi as an alternative.

Cat5 does a reasonable job as cheap speaker cable and has enough wires for four stereo pairs. Easy enough to hide under carpets.

Hope this helps.