1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

discrete or matrix ???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pssyche7, Dec 30, 2000.

1. pssyche7

pssyche7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone explain the difference between discrete 6 - 1 and matrix 6 - 1.
    I know the basics but really need to know if there is a major difference when watching a film, lets say if you watched a dts es dvd on the yamaha dsp ax1 , matrix 6-1, then watched the same film on the same system but lets say on the new denon amp which is discrete 6-1, will i notice a great difference ?

------------------
    Thankyou

2. Stuart M. Robinson

Stuart M. Robinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pssyche7,

"Can someone explain the difference between discrete 6 - 1 and matrix 6 - 1."

Strictly speaking there's no such thing as a "matrix 6.1" system since the nomenclature indicates a discrete delivery format. But as Yamaha have annoyed everyone by coining that stupid name I'll let that pass. :)

In a THX Surround EX system, the Surround Back channel is extracted by summing SR and SL, similar to the way in which a centre channel is extracted by a Pro Logic matrix (the EX processing is actually an extension of the Dolby 3 Stereo system). You can expect circa 37dB of channel separation, which is ample.

In a DTS Discrete 6.1 system, the Surround Back channel is independent of all others (with a caveat) so theoretically, has infinite separation. However, a DTS Discrete 6.1 soundtrack also carries a matrix encoded Surround Back channel in SR and SL, in exactly the same way as a Dolby Digital Surround EX soundtrack, to enable some backward compatibility. However, in a discrete-capable system, the matrix information has to be removed from SR and SL, so the discrete channel is fed back into them, 180º out-of-phase, which cancels the additional information. This does mean the occasional error and a system that isn't, in the strict sense of the word, discrete.

"I know the basics but really need to know if there is a major difference when watching a film, lets say if you watched a dts es dvd on the yamaha dsp ax1 , matrix 6-1, then watched the same film on the same system but lets say on the new denon amp which is discrete 6-1, will i notice a great difference?"

As rear channels should be somewhat diffuse, no, you won't notice a great difference. Hard pans may be slightly more accurate, but the differences aren't anywhere near as striking as comparing a Pro Logic system to Dolby Digital (for example), they're far more subtle.

Stuart M. Robinson
    SMR Group – http://www.smr-group.co.uk/

3. pssyche7

pssyche7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for the proffesional reply, at last someone knows !!!!