1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discrete IR codes for AV channels on a Tosh 42WH18B

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by oreoboy13, Mar 28, 2002.

1. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any help would be great.

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Is this for a Pronto?

If so then you don't need discrete codes.
    It's so easy you'd kick yourself.

Just use macros to toggle to a terrestrial channel and then back to the AV input x the number of clicks required to get to AV2, 3 & 4.

Simple when you know how !

3. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks so much, how much of a idiot do i feel

4. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont suppose you have a discrete power code

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    No, but I would like one.

Also, i'm looking for discrete codes for aspect ratios.

I've even tried a macro workaround for this but it's not as straight forward as the AV input toggle. You basically need a starting point to work off which is a bit variable with aspect ratios.

Other macros I made was to automatically toggle 100Hz scan/Natural Scan and zero Volume/Amp on.

As we have similar TVs then I would be glad to exchange codes/files tips etc.

E-mail me if you want.

6. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ermm maybe they have changed it, but i just live the volume turned down, and it stays that way?

Which amp have you got?

I probably wont be doing any macros for Ratio or 100Hz as i just leave it on 100Hz 16:9 all the time.

But i will give what i can when i am finished.

7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    You mean you never use the TV volume?
    Do have the amp on ALL the time?

my amp is a Sony DB930, as it says in my signature.

You leave 16:9 on all the time ??

But what about 4:3 and letterboxed non-amorphic material ('Cinema' mode)

Don't forget to use 'Aliases' for ALL your commands. If you haven't already, you may regret it later,

8. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah my amp is on all the time, i dont £1800 for an amp and then only use it for dvds :) and so the TV's volume is never used.

I have on-digital and 90% broadcast in 16:9. I dont have any 4:3 dvds.

The non-anamorphic discs i have are left with the boarders, i prefer it that way. As the director intended.

I havnt programmed the pronto for coming up to 4 months, can you remind me why.

9. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Ok, your choice and your electricity bill !

Why don't you use non-anamorphic material in 'Cinema' mode.
    I know it's a softer pic, but a good quality DVD can sometimes look OK and still the way the 'Director intended'. The picture is just blown up, but the proportions should still be correct, without the borders, or at least smaller ones if it's in 2.35:1.

You haven't programmed your Pronto for four months?
    I don't know why, but you're missing out if you're not using it.

10. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont think running my amp is going to make that much difference compared with a 42" RPTV and 22" comp monitor tumble dryer, power shower, washing machine, micro wave.........etc etc.

Hows does cinema mode not change the ratio of the picture?

Anamorphic films arent true representations either (if my menory serves correctly)

I spent ages programming it for my old stuff then sold it all, only just got round to getting all my new equipment. I didnt want to start programming until everything was here, like X-box and component leads for X-box and Ps2

11. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    :confused:

I think you need to brush up on WS/anamorphic

Cinema mode expands the picture in two directions, it merely 'blows it up' and maintains the same aspect ratio of the picture. Try it out on your TV. I use it for all non-anamorphic material.

Both anamorphic and non anamorphic are true represenations of WS in terms of aspect ratios.

12. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the movie was filmed in 1.85 it can be anamorphically modified to fill a wide screen TV but not perfectly. Do the maths:

1.85 : 1

is very , very nearly the same aspect ratio as 16:9

However a 2.35:1 film can never fill a 16:9 TV and keep it correct ratio.

It basic maths.

As for the last comment;

"Cinema mode expands the picture in two directions, it merely 'blows it up' and maintains the same aspect ratio of the picture."

If it kept the same aspect ratio but zoomed in then surely some of the image would lost off the side?

13. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the unoffical FAQ about my DVD player it says the discrete code for On is 123 and off is 124. This completely confuses me, if it was in hex, i wouldnt mind. I dont suppose you could tell me where i was going wrong?

and if you have the time could you tell me about the alias thing.

BTW i phoned Tosh and they said the only power code they could give me is 156, when i ask for discrete codes he said "WHAT?"?"

i asked to talk to the technical department and they said i wasnt allowed to so i will send them a fax and let you know how i get on.

14. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    A 2.35:1 film can still be anamorphic. it's just that you'll have small horizontal borders. The fact that it doesn't fill the screen has NOTHING to do with the anamorphic process.

Forget about 'filling the screen', that is not an issue and don't think that you are being cheated because you are still getting borders. The fact is that you are watching it as the Director intended in the correct aspect ratio.

You have a good sized TV so the borders shouldn't bother you at all.

There are so many different aspect ratios that it is impossible for a 16:9 TV to be able to cater for them all without showing borders (horizontal or vertical)

it's 'square pegs into round holes'.

I ave WS anamorphic DVDs in the following ratios...

1.85:1
    1.77:1
    1.78:1
    2.30:1
    2.20:1
    2.35:1
    2.40:1
    2.75:1

Apart from the first three, the all have horizontal borders of varying sizes but they are ALL anamorphic and I watch them in the correct aspect ratio as intended.

Cinema mode zooms the whole of the 4:3 frame, borders and all, NOT just the viewable picture. So, no nothing is cropped unless the ratio of the viewable picture is less than 1.77:1 (16:9)

Try it out on a non-anamorphic LB DVD and see for yourself.

As regards the Tosh codes, I don't know, maybe they are used for other univ remotes like the one 4 alls.

15. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "A 2.35:1 film can still be anamorphic. it's just that you'll have small horizontal borders. The fact that it doesn't fill the screen has NOTHING to do with the anamorphic process. "

I agree

"Forget about 'filling the screen', that is not an issue and don't think that you are being cheated because you are still getting borders. The fact is that you are watching it as the Director intended in the correct aspect ratio."

I dont mind borders, that is why i originally stated that i leave it in wide mode and dont use zoom.

"There are so many different aspect ratios that it is impossible for a 16:9 TV to be able to cater for them all without showing borders (horizontal or vertical) "

As i have stated earlier i dont mind borders.

"Cinema mode zooms the whole of the 4:3 frame, borders and all, NOT just the viewable picture. So, no nothing is cropped unless the ratio of the viewable picture is less than 1.77:1 (16:9)"

This is where i am confused all i am saying is that if the image is at the edges of the screen irrelevant of its aspect ratio surely if it is streched, while keeping its original ratio you will lose some of the image.

Dont think i am intentionally being atagonistic i am merely sating what i understand, if i am wrong well then good, becuase it means i learn something. :)