discrete 5.1 vs sonos

alexturton

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello

I need home cinema advice on a potential new setup.

I have a 5.1 setup using onkyo 608 + Boston accoutics 5.1 speakers. It was a budget system (c£600) c6 years ago.

Recently (despite all efforts to calibrate my setup) I've found the speech/dialogue somewhat lacking / muddy and hard to hear and the volume is all over the place; it wasn't always like this so I conclude perhaps something in my centre speaker has gone or perhaps the amp. So I want something new and at the same time I'm considering downsizing simplifying my living room to remove all the wires (a la Sonos)

I already have 2 Sonos play:1's in the same room as my 5.1. The play:1's are in the optimal position as rear speakers.

My question I need help with:

Will the Sonos Playbase + 2x Play:1's setup as a 5.1 be better or worse than a budget discrete 5.1 setup?

I'm concerned about overall sound quality and dialogue clarity / volume. I generally use my setup for TV (sky HD dolby), Blurray via dolby on xbox one, and xbox one games.

Thanks all for your time / help / opinion.

Alex

Onkyo/Boston system - have you tried disabling the Centre channel in the AVR and let the AVR mix the Centre dialogue into the Front LR speakers?

Room - any major changes to your room/room décor? Your Room acoustics often have a major effect on what you hear.

SONOS 5.1 vs. AVR+5.1 Speakers - the SONOS is very limited in terms of format support and doesn't provide you with many options to optimise the system.

Joe

PS Hearing - is everyone else struggling with dialogue too?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom