1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discrete 5.1 to SPDIF ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by helipilot, Feb 28, 2004.

1. helipilot

helipilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I have an HTPC which I use to watch WM9 HD DVD material e.g. Terminator 2 Extreme, as well as the usual duties. As you know WM9 uses its own surround sound system which cannot be passed via SPDIF to my AV Processor. To watch WM9 material in surround I have to connect the outputs of my M-Audio Revo directly to my power amp. The obvious solution would be fit a 5.1 bypass to my AV processor. If I leave the audio card connected to my power amp I have to ensure that the power amp and sub are switched off when I start or shutdown the PC to avoid a pop through my speakers.

I was wondering if there is another way of doing it ?

Does anyone make a black box that takes 5.1 in via phono sockets and outputs coax spdif to feed to my AV processor ?

The above solution would also allow DVD-audio via SPDIF.

Any other suggestions ?

2. babaroga

babaroga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well, to be quite honest, don't use WMP9. I think that with a liitle play with PowerStrip & TeatherTek you'll get much better results. In all other software DVD players you can set to stream the sound on SPDIF.

regards
    Darko

3. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Unfortunately not.

Nvidia are apparently working on an NForce style soundcard I think but until then the only way is to use an Nforce2 motherboard from what I've heard.

4. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    helipilot, ye know not of what ye ask. You're essentially requiring a Dolby Digital encoder. You can get these in software as plugins for various audio-editing applications but hardware ones are great rackmount boxes at £££'s.

Now then, the software ones don't work in realtime, AFAIK, but if any will on fast PC's then there's your easy answer, again some considerable £££'s outlay. But one solution to getting your non-standard 5.1 output into an amp (albeit at a probably much reduced bitrate to the original WMP9 version).

HTH,

Mike.

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really? I never knew TheaterTek could play 720p WMVHD titles :p

Surely your processor can accept 5.1/6.1/7.1 "direct" input(s)? DVD-A/SACD compatable etc.?

If it can, I'd just go that route & use your processor as a preamp volume control.

:smoke:

6. babaroga

babaroga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    oooops, I stand corrected. I didn't realise that he was talking about WMVHD titles.

BTW, that T2 extreme. Isn't that the one that calles back the publisher and obtains the play key or something like that ?

7. helipilot

helipilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    thanks for the info so far.

I have a Tag AV32r AV processor which does not have the bypass fitted otherwise that would be the solution.

To get the bypass fitted involves considerable cost and having to send the unit away. I cannot really justify the cost for a couple of titles.

I have heard that some motherboards can send 5.1 via spdif from wm9 titles. I may look at this solution for wm9 and still use the m-audio revo for normal dvd's

There is a new newsgroup alt.binaries.hdtv which appears to be becoming popular as a way to source HDTV material. Currently Euro1080 does not bring much hope for HDTV movies in the UK.