Discreet living room cinema

LittleNipper

Thanks mate! I couldn't get away with all black in the living room, but if it was a dedicated room I'd go as dark as possible.

The surrounds were pricey - £1200 a pair - but that's less than half RRP so not too bad relatively. They are hands down the best surrounds I've ever heard, so money well spent!
So, £600 a pop doesn't sound too bad. I was looking at the JBL SCS-8's and they are coming out at £390 each. Perhaps I need to hunt more on the price !

DLxP

Distinguished Member
Yea, I was pleased with £1200 a pair. They were a fair bit more than that in total, as I paid to have all four shipped from the US. But still, they were £1800 each before being discontinued, so I got a pair for less than half that.

As I say though, very much worth it, as I can't see myself changing them. The only speakers I own now that I'd ever want to change are my ceiling speakers, and that will only be when I get a dedicated room and need higher SPL from the ceiling. In fact, I would probably swap them for SCS-8s - I think they'd make killer ceiling speakers.

diverdog

Clever, well thought out and nicely executed. I'm a big fan of Revel and Floyd Toole's work at Harman. I had the privilege of hearing him speak several times back in the day and read everything I could find on his research. Are you still pleased with the HTP1? It's at the head of my list for the system processor. Emotiva is also my power amp of choice. I love products that punch well above their price class.

DLxP

Distinguished Member
Clever, well thought out and nicely executed. I'm a big fan of Revel and Floyd Toole's work at Harman. I had the privilege of hearing him speak several times back in the day and read everything I could find on his research. Are you still pleased with the HTP1? It's at the head of my list for the system processor. Emotiva is also my power amp of choice. I love products that punch well above their price class.
Thank you!

Re the HTP-1: yes, I'm still very pleased with it. IMO nothing can touch it anywhere near the price. It sounds incredible and, as a package, I think it's very comparable with far more expensive processors. The only thing it lacks at the moment, but which is promised as a firmware update, is DTS:X Pro.

DLxP

Distinguished Member
Despite owning a Shield for ages I've only just for the first time tried it out streaming games. Currently streaming Gears of War from my RTX3070-based PC. Seems to work quite well so far :thumbsup:

20211220_234516.jpg

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Despite owning a Shield for ages I've only just for the first time tried it out streaming games. Currently streaming Gears of War from my RTX3070-based PC. Seems to work quite well so far :thumbsup:

View attachment 1622905
Ethernet or wifi mate?

im contemplating running a ethernet cable from my downstairs PC to my upstairs in order to game at the desk.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I thought about that actually, and wondered whether I could run a Noctua or similar fan either off the 12v trigger (a bad idea, apparently) or some other way.

In the end, pulling it out the box was the easiest approach. I'm actually quite happy with that too, as it's a pretty projector. I just need to finish filling in/painting the holes I made in the ceiling.

View attachment 1616607

Also, I ended up repurposing the MDF for my daughter's school project, so it all worked out in the end!

My personal opinion is not worth stuffing expensive electronics into cabinets and boxes.

I've had 3x failed PJs, 2x failed OLEDs and 2x failed AVRs. 4 of those were likely down to heat issues. Its all fine and pretty until something sotps working.

I put my HTPC in my cabinet. fitted snuggling. This HTPC has been ROCK SOLID dependable, no problem , hacked drivers.. goes along fine whatever i throw at it. Then I put it in the cabinet... 1 day later blue screen of death. Straight away took it out again, flawless performance.

DLxP

Distinguished Member
I've been getting a bit twitchy lately on the 'upgrade' front, mainly through boredom. So a couple of changes on the way.

First up, I'm replacing all my amps with 11 channels of Nord NC252MP. I'm of the view amps make no real difference within their operating range, so I'm not expecting an audible improvement. However, I like the idea of identical amps across all channels, with identical gain. I also like the idea of cooler running amps that take up less space. So Hypex-based amps seemed the way forward. I considered getting higher powered Hypex modules but it'd be utterly pointless, as the 252s are more than enough given the efficiency of my base layer speakers.

I've also bought an NX6000D and think I'll have a go at building subs. I'm very, very happy with my 1Vs, but I just fancy building something tbh. I've currently got a wanted ad for one of more BMS 18N862s, which I'm 90% certain is the driver I'd like to go for. Still researching though...

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I've been getting a bit twitchy lately on the 'upgrade' front, mainly through boredom. So a couple of changes on the way.

First up, I'm replacing all my amps with 11 channels of Nord NC252MP. I'm of the view amps make no real difference within their operating range, so I'm not expecting an audible improvement. However, I like the idea of identical amps across all channels, with identical gain. I also like the idea of cooler running amps that take up less space. So Hypex-based amps seemed the way forward. I considered getting higher powered Hypex modules but it'd be utterly pointless, as the 252s are more than enough given the efficiency of my base layer speakers.

I've also bought an NX6000D and think I'll have a go at building subs. I'm very, very happy with my 1Vs, but I just fancy building something tbh. I've currently got a wanted ad for one of more BMS 18N862s, which I'm 90% certain is the driver I'd like to go for. Still researching though...
Their form factor is beautiful. I toyed with the idea of Nords very strongly. I see them as an 'end game' piece. How much is the NORD going to run you?

I figure that its a pretty awesome upgrade. Even if its not audible, it sure is sweet knowing you have in your setup something which is potentially going to last you for the next decade.

I'd personally reccomend if you have the NX6000D and you're going to be doing any DIY, build a hoverBOSS. I almost guarantee you will not regret it and it will give you a dimension to films you've likely never experienced before and will give you the tactility of 10x the money re: subwoofers, no probably 100x.

mossym

Distinguished Member
Build the subs. I have 2 diy using your chosen driver, and they are sublime.contemplating a third of the same, it's a super driver

DLxP

Distinguished Member
I figure that its a pretty awesome upgrade. Even if its not audible, it sure is sweet knowing you have in your setup something which is potentially going to last you for the next decade.
This is exactly how I see it. I've been planning on going back to Hypex amps ever since I sold my JBL SDAs, which I only sold as I needed XLR-based amps. I've resisted it because I didn't/don't think it'll be an audible improvement. However, as you say - should be end game.

How much is the NORD going to run you?
£3k ish. Pricey, but actually awesome value for relatively SOTA amplification, lovely form factor and enough power with my mains to hit reference at 10m!
build a hoverBOSS.
Pretty tempting to do at some point but not yet. I've had transducers before (not quite the same thing, i know) and do quite like that kind of TR when dialled in, but hoverBOSS isn't WAF enough. My thinking is I'll do that or similar whenever I get a dedicated room (<2yrs).

Build the subs. I have 2 diy using your chosen driver, and they are sublime.contemplating a third of the same, it's a super driver
Yea, pretty confident it's the one. Everyone that owns one loves it, and the low distortion is really persuasive.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
This is exactly how I see it. I've been planning on going back to Hypex amps ever since I sold my JBL SDAs, which I only sold as I needed XLR-based amps. I've resisted it because I didn't/don't think it'll be an audible improvement. However, as you say - should be end game.

£3k ish. Pricey, but actually awesome value for relatively SOTA amplification, lovely form factor and enough power with my mains to hit reference at 10m!

Pretty tempting to do at some point but not yet. I've had transducers before (not quite the same thing, i know) and do quite like that kind of TR when dialled in, but hoverBOSS isn't WAF enough. My thinking is I'll do that or similar whenever I get a dedicated room (<2yrs).

Yea, pretty confident it's the one. Everyone that owns one loves it, and the low distortion is really persuasive.

I can say its nothing like a subwoofer and pretty easy to make look nice (just stain wood nice colour etc.

Its literally like a subwoofer under you. Sooooo natural its incredible.

DLxP

Distinguished Member
Tempting!

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Tempting!
Its definitely stopped me wanting to change my mono 15s to 16s. if you tune it and crossover high it can provide you VERY meaningful output too lol.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Its definitely stopped me wanting to change my mono 15s to 16s. if you tune it and crossover high it can provide you VERY meaningful output too lol.
Without trying to derail this thread, what’s the minimum depth drivers you can realistically get for a hoverboss? Could consider changing my quake to drivers if I can get them shallow enough.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Without trying to derail this thread, what’s the minimum depth drivers you can realistically get for a hoverboss? Could consider changing my quake to drivers if I can get them shallow enough.
I got the shallowest drivers I could find mate with are the fosgates. Mine are very very shallow, would be surprised if they didn’t work with anyone’s seating tbh.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

You're pretty smart with engineering and DIY mate so I 100% think u could engineer something pretty easily.

mb3195

Distinguished Member

You're pretty smart with engineering and DIY mate so I 100% think u could engineer something pretty easily.
Thanks mate, might have to wait as would require a bit of modification (mainly raising the height of my seats), plus a fair bit of manual/heavy lifting as due an elbow op on Friday. Suppose I could do it before during my 3 day self isolation period 🤔

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Thanks mate, might have to wait as would require a bit of modification (mainly raising the height of my seats), plus a fair bit of manual/heavy lifting as due an elbow op on Friday. Suppose I could do it before during my 3 day self isolation period 🤔
It didn’t take long to set up at all. I sat on all the equipment for ages mate and it only took us 3 hours to put together as we got the holes all done by a carpenter beforehand.

I’d you don’t like it, I’d happy buy one of the spare go shares off you as I’ve been told by the family I need to build a second one for the arm chair in the corner 🤣

You will like it a lot and that specific driver surprisingly sounds very nice even if you do a high crossover (which you won’t as literally no need )

mb3195

Distinguished Member
It didn’t take long to set up at all. I sat on all the equipment for ages mate and it only took us 3 hours to put together as we got the holes all done by a carpenter beforehand.

I’d you don’t like it, I’d happy buy one of the spare go shares off you as I’ve been told by the family I need to build a second one for the arm chair in the corner 🤣

You will like it a lot and that specific driver surprisingly sounds very nice even if you do a high crossover (which you won’t as literally no need )
I wouldn’t imagine it will be too different to what I’ve already got. The quake on a platform is doing the same thing, albeit possible a bit more mechanical feeling. It also can’t go above a certain hai level without you starting to hear it, whereas you’d have no such limitations with a hoverboss.

The main issue for me is unbolting they platform from the seats and then putting it back together again, it was a nightmare last time and something I’m not really happy about doing again!

I need to have a think about how I’d raise the seat height without it feeling like I’m sitting in a high chair.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I wouldn’t imagine it will be too different to what I’ve already got. The quake on a platform is doing the same thing, albeit possible a bit more mechanical feeling. It also can’t go above a certain hai level without you starting to hear it, whereas you’d have no such limitations with a hoverboss.

The main issue for me is unbolting they platform from the seats and then putting it back together again, it was a nightmare last time and something I’m not really happy about doing again!

I need to have a think about how I’d raise the seat height without it feeling like I’m sitting in a high chair.

In my opinion it’s really really natural as it is a literal woofer under your seat. It’s hArd to explain how nuanced and natural it is .. but it is a faff dialling it in.. but then again you will be much better at that than me

Another option is crowsons if you fancied a change ?

DLxP

Distinguished Member
Not derailing at all mate - it's all interesting to me!

DLxP

Distinguished Member
New toy turned up this morning. It's actually prettier in the flesh than in pics - it has a really nice matte finish.

1643026873657.png

Next step is to source the BMS 18N862. I'll probably start with one at first, then will add a second once that's built. I just need to decide whether to go with the 8 ohm or 4 ohm versions. @markymiles - would appreciate your take on that if that's OK. I think you went with the 8 ohm version didn't you?

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Not derailing at all mate - it's all interesting to me!
I'm really tempted by the hoverboss solution, I've also got a couple of days to kill this week, so might just go for it, the thought of taking my chairs off the platform again though fill me with dread!!

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I'm really tempted by the hoverboss solution, I've also got a couple of days to kill this week, so might just go for it, the thought of taking my chairs off the platform again though fill me with dread!!
Yup the parts sat in my house for 4 months due to similar issues then one day just thought yolo. Was incredibly quick.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Movies Podcast | Maverick IMAX Review, 4K Disc News and More
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Triangle announces new wireless Borea Active bookshelf speakers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts