Discreet living room cinema

DLxP

Distinguished Member
All looking awesome mate.

Not sure I’d recommend an anamorphic lens though bud, for the cost difference I’d be looking at a better projector. You shouldn’t need the extra brightness for HDR now you’ve got the lumagen though (which is a complete game changer).
Cheers mate. Tbh, I'll probably not bother with the lens. I think I started considering one again (owned one years ago) when I saw Jim Peterson used one in his set up for the extra brightness. But it's a bit much for the living room ceiling! And they can be quite fussy.

Totally agree on the game changer point. I gave Tron Legacy a demo last night and the colours were stunning. It's definitely film night tonight... I haven't actually watched a film yet since setting up the new JBLs, it's just been box sets!

Where is your rack please?

It's on the other side of the bookcase, in an alcove hidden behind our stairs.

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
The nice thing about a Lumagen is it nails HDR, colourimetry and grey scale and everything in between you no longer care about PJs internal capability and it’s software updatable and depreciation is less than a PJ, plus why would you sell ? Just upgrade the PJ

Ringnut

Distinguished Member
The nice thing about a Lumagen is it nails HDR, colourimetry and grey scale and everything in between you no longer care about PJs internal capability and it’s software updatable and depreciation is less than a PJ, plus why would you sell ? Just upgrade the PJ

To buy a better one. :)

DLxP

Distinguished Member
Finally finished painting the grilles for the S4Ais - what a pain that was! I'm happy with the result though.

1633283402970.png

I removed the scrim from the metal grilles (the white felt backing) as I didn't want it to get clogged with paint. This means that, in the right light, one can just make out the speakers behind the grille. I was thinking I could just dye the scrim then replace it, but when I mentioned this to my partner she said "I think it looks cool as it is"! I hadn't expected that. I do too, so I'll leave it off. It's more AT that way too :)

I'm also tentatively thinking about using my JBL Arenas as wides, one in the position shown below, the other on the opposite side of the room, to the left of the wall rug. They're not doing anything at the moment since I removed them from my system, and wides would put them to use. It would be very easy to wire up for wides and to build boxes for them, to blend in with the decor. They're only about 11cm deep too, so unobtrusive.

1633283962543.png

The HTP-1 has a 'wide synth' mode that matrixes signals to wides with any upmixer, so they'd receive a signal with most content. And when the HTP-1 gets DTS:X Pro, they'd get used by that too.

However, wides would need to be slightly higher up the wall than the side surrounds, so I'm not entirely sure they would be a good idea - especially with a matrixed signal. I guess I could run some wires to try it out quickly, before committing to anything....

DLxP

Distinguished Member
While I'm on the subject of the S4Ais - I've now had a fair bit of time with them and can confidently say they're the best surrounds I've heard, by some margin. And I mean, it's not even close.

They're pretty amazing really. I watched Avengers Endgame the other night and there's a scene where it's raining (where Hawkeye's fighting the Yakuza) and the surround image was possibly the most convincingly realistic I've ever heard. I turned around at one point and looked straight at the speakers on my right and it sounded exactly like it was raining in the space between them. I've also tried them out with the my go-to test for surround panning: the start of Oblivion, where he lands in the stadium. I find that sounds fairly impressive with almost any surrounds, but with these the size of the image behind my sofa was so huge, with so much depth, I genuinely laughed out loud! :D

barnitto

Looks great. Serious qudos on the DIY skills as well!

DLxP

Distinguished Member
Thank you :)

the_dude2

Hi Doug, as threatened! Apart from loving your efforts in installing the JBL's so discretely I would love to know more about what you think of the Lumagen. As you know I also have a 9400, and the same screen. After being a bit unimpressed with the new models I'm not in any rush to upgrade, and I'd also been experimenting with MadVR a bit recently and am quite impressed. It's only via my gaming laptop, so not getting the full benefits from it (a lot of the trade quality options are selected), but it has given me a good idea of what a video processor can do.

I'm just not sure if I should just make life easier and get a Lumagen instead of forking out shed loads for a decent graphics card and have all the hassle with running an HTPC (it would also function as my working from home PC as well so potentially added complications), and fork out shed loads more and get a Lumagen! Or, as it is kind of only a 9400, make do and not spend any money at all!
So how are you finding it, could you live without it, or do all the improvements, subtle or otherwise, add up to be a pretty good upgrade?

DLxP

Distinguished Member
Hi Doug, as threatened! Apart from loving your efforts in installing the JBL's so discretely I would love to know more about what you think of the Lumagen. As you know I also have a 9400, and the same screen. After being a bit unimpressed with the new models I'm not in any rush to upgrade, and I'd also been experimenting with MadVR a bit recently and am quite impressed. It's only via my gaming laptop, so not getting the full benefits from it (a lot of the trade quality options are selected), but it has given me a good idea of what a video processor can do.

I'm just not sure if I should just make life easier and get a Lumagen instead of forking out shed loads for a decent graphics card and have all the hassle with running an HTPC (it would also function as my working from home PC as well so potentially added complications), and fork out shed loads more and get a Lumagen! Or, as it is kind of only a 9400, make do and not spend any money at all!
So how are you finding it, could you live without it, or do all the improvements, subtle or otherwise, add up to be a pretty good upgrade?

So the slight difficulty I have at the mo with giving definitive conclusions is that, when the Lumagen was installed, I had a new calibration done. So it's difficult to isolate the difference the Lumagen is making on its own. I'm sure there must be a pass-through mode to check this, but I haven't looked into that yet...

However, I am without question getting images now that are markedly better than those I was getting before - colours are more vibrant, everything's sharper and the image has more depth. HDR looks amazing.

If you've been tinkering with MadVR you should have an idea of some of this and what DTM can add to HDR. I tried the MadVR route and only bothered to use it once! It was just too much faff. The Lumagen is zero faff.

The major thing the Lumagen offers over HTPC-based MadVR - leaving aside arguments about which is the better quality video processor - is that it works with a variety of sources. That's very important for me, because most of my viewing is streaming services via my Shield. So now, for, say, Netflix, I know its colours are spot on; it's scaled perfectly; HDR is awesome; I can shift letterboxed video to the bottom of my screen at the touch of a button; and I can adjust sharpness on the fly using a sharpness function that genuinely works. This is all with a 16:9 screen of course - if I had a scope screen, the Lumagen's aspect ratio features would come into play.

The other thing about the Lumagen is it's very much an investment in your system for the long term. It will survive changes in sources, projectors, processors and speakers. It's a big outlay, but one you only make once then forget about (unless you get tempted by the 5348 of course, but then that would last many years, so the same logic would apply).

On the nub of your question - 'is it worth it with the TW9400' - I would say a big fat yes. The 9400 has one big thing going for it: it's bright. Add DTM to that, and the result is some pretty special HDR imagery. There is one downside to using it with the 9400 though: once you see the improved picture the Lumagen provides, you might feel yourself getting tempted to see what it could really do, on a better projector. Not me though.🙈

Last edited:

d598

I am so glad you asked this as I have been watching closely to see what benefits there could be!
On the nub of your question - 'is it worth it with the TW9400' - I would say a big fat yes. The 9400 has one big thing going for it: it's bright. Add DTM to that, and the result is some pretty special HDR imagery. There is one downside to using it with the 9400 though: once you see the improved picture the Lumagen provides, you might feel yourself getting tempted to see what it could really do, on a better projector. Not me though.🙈
Thank for sharing your findings and this is definitely food for thought. Did you get this via Gordon?

DLxP

Distinguished Member
No worries - happy to share! It was a private sale, but I of course got Gordon over to do the calibration.

I'll try to post more findings as I get to know it better. I certainly found the decision to buy one quite difficult; I sat on the fence about it for years. One difficulty is there aren't many (any?) before and after photos posted online. I can see why, as photos/videos don't convey the difference and can be misleading. But their absence does make it difficult when one's contemplating whether or not to spend thousands of pounds.

d598

DLxP

Distinguished Member
A bit tangential, but I've decided to repurpose my JBL Arenas for office use, thanks to a bit of encouragement from @the_dude2 and inspiration from @MacReady

9m3w-u4PfXJh1d63c8Q6_W0Wnx27GBCKDRWNXvo8f8sm0cU_BvAz-2zLyKbyB0q2_IBtezOAGT2SuQAFov3Fy50RBDiPrs_aF8uN6tIjD1P1qlsNSDgRfWT4f-lnRxO29SU0fXQjDYmISF5ILatJ_YIl14bxH5YQowKh2KFaicAqEN2hW_a9grQeNHiuJhak9fVu5BDD9jSNvgW9FAP7Ai5AC9Rk9d0HgmLyzX7lHHqkt8E0zBBEv5lShB3Rg8dcNvVYgjkHtGhB3Zz9LpTAACCfJ4-JkJ2VnZr8R0uUWGwm8pFBCSLqGqUcnd53DBKtz_nMx70lnpWgkOIBHsYKC0AR7_k-kHOmN_aH96S8nO2u03o676HFgKBY9jzQs4GrIm4s4hmThVNg3c2rdTh1nEp-G0RHBSYhBaAbFTvmijEG-q07hzgSpCRh_Hil-L6KccTSb4ZtTUdDvBp2twB7bLJG6RfZKtxh6PfgP0zJcDvLcGJbrCFgnurIKtb76zellcsaGlVGc5QN__E2wJRdDawvKC2HdcxuZ5lvQAhIru7hmngBIKY6xy5MV2rUuCI6rus-FDIq1C_qstQ0wLz56iE-q_cHndBnbRyRnbxApK56FBrKDQelhBhu0G4pte3j521wuzm6fCzg3FnkogBZgEkY5DV5XKmvDM9DiUa6PKD_R6iVmP4DS8Bnbd5VXpU4Y6HuXlCvlpB5HxL1MCBuU1VE=w2560-h1131-no

I was toying with using the Revel S16s I've listed for sale, but ultimately I think the JBLs will be perfect for the task. Now all I need to do is choose a suitable desktop amp...

DLxP

Distinguished Member
Minor update: I finally got round to adapting my screen masking today. Installing the JBL 3677s meant I needed to raise the screen 10cm higher, and as such needed to make the masking shorter. I've been running without masking since then, until today.

Not sure why I took so long to bother doing it; it's so much better watching scope movies with the masking.

20211113_233003.jpg

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Minor update: I finally got round to adapting my screen masking today. Installing the JBL 3677s meant I needed to raise the screen 10cm higher, and as such needed to make the masking shorter. I've been running without masking since then, until today.

Not sure why I took so long to bother doing it; it's so much better watching scope movies with the masking.

View attachment 1602423
whats ur masking system? masking is a game changer. I only used it in my old setup for a few weeks but it was amazing... thats why im so eager to join the MVEL22 team.

DLxP

Distinguished Member
whats ur masking system? masking is a game changer. I only used it in my old setup for a few weeks but it was amazing... thats why im so eager to join the MVEL22 team.
It's made up of three boards that attach via magnets. I explained the process here. It takes less than 10 seconds to fit/remove and, as you say, is a game changer.

Wull

It's made up of three boards that attach via magnets. I explained the process here. It takes less than 10 seconds to fit/remove and, as you say, is a game changer.

Amazing looking room DLxP. Love it!

Your 'here' link doesn't work......

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

That link is dead mate. IF you can do a tutorial post fo rmaking them, would be amazing. I'm thinking I might make myself 2x panels of these for the top of my screen.

DLxP

Distinguished Member
That link is dead mate. IF you can do a tutorial post fo rmaking them, would be amazing. I'm thinking I might make myself 2x panels of these for the top of my screen.
Yep, see the post above yours.

DLxP

Distinguished Member
Any questions just ask - it was pretty straightforward

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Yep, see the post above yours.

Thanks mate. Detailed post. Beautiful stuff, will give it a proper read (and print off to give to my dad to make them :D).

Smurfin

Distinguished Member

View attachment 1602423
That looks like a fantastic room 😊

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Lenco launches 400 series turntable and speaker combo
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 26th January 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Huawei begins P50 Pocket and P50 Pro smartphone global rollout
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audioengine launches compact S6 powered subwoofer