1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discreet amps in av receivers?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by 1Jazzy, May 28, 2005.

1. 1Jazzy

1Jazzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I am confused :)

a few years ago I got into relatively hi-end home cinema gear when me and a close friend bought a lot of Tag kit, with a processor and separate amps for each channel etc. Unfortunately I don't have any of this now, and I am looking to build soon a relatively low budget system. I haven't followed the av receiver market since, so I'd like to ask what is the lowest level of receiver or the lowest price point where I can have a discreet amp for each channel, in an av receiver. I am looking for 7-channel. Also, in which products can I find toroidal transformers? I am not necessarily looking for both (discreet amps and toroidal transformers) but it would be nice to have both in the box.

I am not brand-fanatic, so any suggestions welcome. Again I am looking for the starting point in price. I've read that e.g the Denon A1XV has got discreet amps all round, whereas some receivers have got 2 integrated amps driving 5 channels etc.

My complete system will probably have 5 x 8 Ohm speakers and 2 x 4 Ohm, so I believe the discreet amps will also help the configuration there.

Any recommendations welcome.

Many thanx!

2. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I am not aware of any integrated solutions that have true discrete amplification, e.g seperate power supplies and capacitance for every channel. All the designs as far as I am aware (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) use a shared power supply. This is not to say that they are no good, if the power supply is up to the job then there should'nt be any problems :) My own Parasound 5 channel power amp uses a single power supply (a very large one ;) ) and has awsome current delivery. Having a shared power supply isn't as "audiophile" as say a Tag or Bryston amp which are built on a monobloc design with independent modules for each channel but you only tend to get true monobloc design on the true high end :thumbsup:

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    1Jazzy, am I right to assume that discreet means the amplification stage is made from individual components (power transistors) rather than integrated circuits (ICs)?
    Most if not all branded multi-channel amps/receivers are discreet, ICs are most likely only found in some all-in-one systems or really cheap stuff.

AFAIK you will find toroidal transformers only in the more expensive units, i.e. branded flag-ship models (and even there not all have them). I believe also some NAD and Arcam products have them on-board.