Discovering the source of my vinyl static

Paulx10111

Established Member
Reaction score
I was suffering terribly with static since reviving my interest with vinyl, I had originally housed my collection in metal cabinets from Ikea and read that metal isnt best suited for vinyl storage, so forked out for wooden ones. An improvement but still my vinyl crackled & popped. I bought a record cleaning machine and a zerostat started cleaning the disks before playing, again an improvement but still there were crackle & pop, upgraded the cartridge,leather mat tried absolutely everything to get rid of the noise, The whole time I had been using a record weight rubber bottom made of some kind of metal, anyway my partner put on a record (uncleaned) and didn't use the weight and im blowed that there was no crackle or pops at all, and for the last week or so I have not used the weight and i have heard hardly any noise at all.

If in future you have problems with crackle and pops - invest in a Sugar cube SG1.
Yes expensive but unbelievable!

The whole time I had been using a record weight rubber
I’m in electronics, and more than a few times I’ve had to deal with ESD issues (ElectroStatic Discharge)...first thing you do...look at the system and remove any un-necessary insulators....in your case, that big lump of rubber :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom