Discovered slight problem with PV500

FlyingBig said:
Yes good point, i am only using one scart atm so i could maybe try component and play a dvd through my xbox. I will try that now. I really hope it is just my pv500 but that link i posted had 4 pages of folks discussing the EXACT issue i am having so that is why i am suspect. I will post back my findings.

I think I noticed the same bars changing tone, when I have sky on and press information on a program with black bars at the top, there is a very slight change in colour, I have tried it on a few dvds and I cant see anything. Although Im sure I can see something on SKy.

Although the main picture is not changing tone at all. :eek:

greyhorse said:
I think I noticed the same bars changing tone, when I have sky on and press information on a program with black bars at the top, there is a very slight change in colour, I have tried it on a few dvds and I cant see anything. Although Im sure I can see something on SKy.

Although the main picture is not changing tone at all. :eek:

Do your bars change brightness like you put gamma up one notch? That is the effect i have and it happens on the whole image rather than just the widescreen bars. Its subtle but very noticeable to me.

have you got some sort of adaptive contrast thing on? maybe when the panel detects a dark scene, to make the blacks blacker it is lowering the contrast, but when something bright comes up the contrast is forced up.

FlyingBig said:
Do your bars change brightness like you put gamma up one notch? That is the effect i have and it happens on the whole image rather than just the widescreen bars. Its subtle but very noticeable to me.

Its just on the bars at the top, just tried starwars dvd and its fine, go to sky and it does it on 16/9 image. Although the picture doesnt change tone at all.

Its almost like the sky info bar is like a light bulb ???

But the main screen doesnt change even tried it with the lights off.

I would definately get a replacement - it doesn't look like a common problem on the new sets.

:boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring:

I can confirm the effect he's talking about. On channel 5 this morning there was a kids' presenter holding up white cards - every time she held up a card, the rest of the picture dimmed. It looked like an automatic exposure compensation thing.

However, this is with very old and dodgy Scart cables, and absolutely no settings correction, other than to put it into Cinema mode and knock the contrast and brightness down (200 hours is a loooooooong time). It's not a big deal now, and we'll see how it looks with better cables.

greyhorse said:
Its just on the bars at the top, just tried starwars dvd and its fine, go to sky and it does it on 16/9 image. Although the picture doesnt change tone at all.

Its almost like the sky info bar is like a light bulb ???

But the main screen doesnt change even tried it with the lights off.

That is actually what happens on mine, teh sky info bars lights up the whole screen, surely if it is doing it on the widescreen bars it doing it on the whole image? The sky info is just an example as it is bright, anything really bright that comes on the screen seems to brighten the whole image. I urge someone to try watching the Universal studios startup and look for the background changing brightness just as the logo comes round full circle to the front of the screen.

Hairy Herman said:
have you got some sort of adaptive contrast thing on? maybe when the panel detects a dark scene, to make the blacks blacker it is lowering the contrast, but when something bright comes up the contrast is forced up.

Yes i think it may be something along these lines and its away panasonic have found to make the blacks blacker but it has an adverse effect and in my view its unwatchable and i won't be watching any dvds until it is sorted or my replacement is perfect.

Sulis said:
I can confirm the effect he's talking about. On channel 5 this morning there was a kids' presenter holding up white cards - every time she held up a card, the rest of the picture dimmed. It looked like an automatic exposure compensation thing.

However, this is with very old and dodgy Scart cables, and absolutely no settings correction, other than to put it into Cinema mode and knock the contrast and brightness down (200 hours is a loooooooong time). It's not a big deal now, and we'll see how it looks with better cables.

I use a quality scart cable and i have replicated the problem with component cables as well so nothing is going to change with newer cables. So have you tried bringing the sky info bar up on your screen to see if its brightens your screen or watching a dvd with the universal logo startup? Please do as i don't want to go through the bother of packing this set up and getting a replacment to find it has the same problem.

No, I can't reproduce that at all. I've tried with CSI (for some reason they only look for clues in the dark) and many different channels, but bringing up the SKY info box has no effect whatsoever. Sorry - I think you've got a problem with the set.

Sulis said:
No, I can't reproduce that at all. I've tried with CSI (for some reason they only look for clues in the dark) and many different channels, but bringing up the SKY info box has no effect whatsoever. Sorry - I think you've got a problem with the set.

Hope so to be honest with you. I trust you guys are looking hard ;) Anyone tried the Universal presentation at the beginning of dvds?

FlyingBig said:
That is actually what happens on mine, teh sky info bars lights up the whole screen, surely if it is doing it on the widescreen bars it doing it on the whole image? The sky info is just an example as it is bright, anything really bright that comes on the screen seems to brighten the whole image. I urge someone to try watching the Universal studios startup and look for the background changing brightness just as the logo comes round full circle to the front of the screen.

Is the screen just auto correcting the picture??

Is this a fault??

hornydragon said:
Flying big did you see this effect when you demoed the screen?

I never got a demo of the set. I had seen the screen on display and like what i seen and read a couple of good reviews. Can i just say that the effect is very subtle, when i say i lights up the screen i mean it in a subtle way were i was thinking for a while "did the black just change brightness there". It wasn't until i watched a dvd and seen it happen that i was able to rewind and see it happen again and again that i acknowledged it as a problem.
The sky info bar is a way for ppl to replicate the problem but the effect is much worse when it happens while you are chilling out watching a dvd and in all honesty the sky info bar isnt quite bright enough to show the problem at its worse yet ppl should beable to see the problem if they look hard enough.

Flyingbig Have you been to test another screen yet ???

just wondering if you are particularly sensitive to a phenomenon or not.....Gussie has issues with PDP technology, What you may be seeing is the Zero level change, without having Gordon or piers measure the phenomenon it will be pretty hard to sort it.......

greyhorse said:
Flyingbig Have you been to test another screen yet ???

Not yet, i need to find a small independant store that will let me demo it as Currys won't really let me plug a dvd into their pv500 or so i imagine. This isn't the only problem i am experiencing as my Gamecube and Xbox are showing faint vertical bands/lines through component. Now i have found others on forums that have this problem and they have other tv sets so it could be a widespread problem but never the less it is fustrating me no ends as now i can't use my Gamecube or Xbox with the screen unless i use scart and lets not beat about the bush, its not a great picture through scart.

FlyingBig said:
Not yet, i need to find a small independant store that will let me demo it as Currys won't really let me plug a dvd into their pv500 or so i imagine. This isn't the only problem i am experiencing as my Gamecube and Xbox are showing faint vertical bands/lines through component. Now i have found others on forums that have this problem and they have other tv sets so it could be a widespread problem but never the less it is fustrating me no ends as now i can't use my Gamecube or Xbox with the screen unless i use scart and lets not beat about the bush, its not a great picture through scart.

Im sure Currys would let you test your dvd player if they thoought they may get a sale. !!!

It sounds like your screen as othe problems.

"Zero level change" Care to elaborate? You completey threw me with that one :confused:

I don't think i am sensitive to it as i have had around 10 tvs in the last year (many of them returned) and i have never witnessed this phenomenon. Whether it is a fault or whether i will have to live with it time will tell. I hope its the former.

I notice the effect being mentioned here, on nearly every DVD I've watched that is displayed in 2.35:1 the letterbox becomes brighter for a few seconds, linked to what is being displayed during the movie. I thought it was random at first and due to a dodgy DVD player or cables. Setting is Cinema with brightness/contrast etc quite low, DVD via component.

xenon said:
I notice the effect being mentioned here, on nearly every DVD I've watched that is displayed in 2.35:1 the letterbox becomes brighter for a few seconds, linked to what is being displayed during the movie. I thought it was random at first and due to a dodgy DVD player or cables. Setting is Cinema with brightness/contrast etc quite low, DVD via component.

Surely u see the change in brightness on the whole image if there is any blacks on the image when the letterbox changes brightness. If not i am confused, ill try looking at the universal startup with letterbox on to see if it deflects it onto the letterbox rather than the film. I understand its best to zoom in rather than run letterbox so as to prevent screen burn so this really isn't a fix but hey i'll try anyway.

UPDATE: no change, the widescreen bars light up and it transfers to any blacks through out the image but its a good test if you put your sky to letterbox mode and then bring up the sky info bar and see the letterboxes light up.

hornydragon said:
are you doing this in a dark room? cover the remote sensor area on the PDP and see if it still does it!!!

no no no, your on the wrong track! Come back! lol

I have this problem while chilling out watching a dvd with dark scenes so its nowt to do with the sensor light ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom