1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discovered slight problem with PV500

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by FlyingBig, Jun 14, 2005.

1. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Took me all of a day but this is the only serious one i have found and even then its not a show stopper but concerns me anyway. Now this maybe an issue with Panasonic sets and not just the pv500 as i remember reading about it before. Basically its easy to spot using sky digital and anyone can try it now and see the problem for themself. If you are watching a programme with a dark scene try bringing up the channel switch display by pressing up on your sky remote and as the sky display pops up will notice the dark part of the pictures brighten up and will darken when the channel display disappears after 5 seconds or so. Now i use this as an example but i have noticed this happening while watching any programme without bringing up the channel disaplay and even noticed it during a boxing match as part of the background tends to be dark and i noticed on quite a few ocassions these parts of the screen brighten up. Not sure exactly what is causing but if anyone can shed some light on it i would greatly appreciate it, i am hoping it has been discussed before and maybe can be fixed by changing a setting within the service menu.

Jonathan.

2. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    This sort of thing happens to CRTs as well, no big problem.

3. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For the record i have owned 8 CRTs and never seen this happen before. This is my first panasomic so that tells ya alot.

4. thornton

thornton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have no idea whether this will work but I have been fiddling a lot with the picture settings. It seems to ship with everything on "Dynamic" which does cause things to change depend on the picture content.

For various reasons (including it being rather less bright which I thought would be good in the early stages) I have switched this to "Cinema" for all input, and got rather less content-dependent interference!

I have a different minor glitch. When used with the Panny S97 DVD I get a line displacement down by one pixel at the far right of the screen when using HDMI set to 720p with DVD running in letterbox mode (i.e. a 2.35:1 film). It is not present using 1080i, nor with component at 720p or 1080i. Also the deeply nested mechanism for switching AV inputs, esp between comp, HDMI and PC is deeply irritating!

5. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thronton i have tried cinema mode and my problem still exists, in fact i watched the first 15 mins and saw the brightness on the dark parts of the screen change on 10 sepearate ocassions. I can tell you now that this is going to bother me. I am hoping that it is some system i can turn off within the service menu so i am going to give panasonic a phone and ask them what the crack is. I will report back.

6. Bleeders

Bleeders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Grabbing at straws here mate, since I had a similar trouble with my 7200 - do you have an Auto Contrast mode that can be switched off at all?

7. pgc

pgc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed that when you change channel the immediate picture is slightly dull for 1 - 2 seconds and then returns to normal. Cannot remember whether this is normal TV, freeview, Sky or all of them. I'll check it out when I get home.

I assumed that the sky or freeview info banner took some kind of preference and the picture resorted to "normal brightness" when the banner disappeared. Or am I talking rubbish?

8. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    no i don't, it doesn't matter what settings you use it still results on teh dark parts of the screen flicking between dark and slightly brighter. This is actually becoming a serious issue i am not watching a dvd or sky until this issue is resolved. The reason i think this is a serious problem is because i found this thread,

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=473893&page=1&pp=30

So far nothing has been resolved so as it stands now if you are considering any panasonic screen i would think twice VERY hard. I fear i have just wasted over 2 grand :( :mad:

9. Bleeders

Bleeders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Has it been doing this since you got the panel out of the box?

10. mlilliman

mlilliman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Can you check if the Colour Management setting is switched on? I noticed a similar issue but not with dark scenes, and disabling this feature seemed to give more consistent colour levels.

Have to admit that I've been delighted with the picture performance of the pv500.

11. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Definately picking at straws here. I would be very happy with the purchase m8!

I've noticed a similiar effect on my CRT.

12. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just phoned Panasonic and they are saying its a fault and to return it but i beg to differ. If you follow the link i posted there are MANY people with this problem which i tried to explain to her but just wasn't getting through. I really couldn't be arsed returning the set for a new one as it is just too much hassle because i am 99 percent sure that the replacement will have the same problem. I am going to go down to my local with my dvd and test a scene on their pv500 to see if i get the same results and if i do then i am going to phone panasonic back and they won't beable to say it is a problem when my set and get to the bottom of this issue. This really does suck in all senses of the word!

13. Rapid 17

Rapid 17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Have any other pv500 owners got the same problem as FlyingBig ? I had my heart set on a pv500 but this has put me off somewhat. Geoff.

14. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,523
    Not on my PV500 42" :thumbsup:

15. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    If you don't send it back to Panasonic how are they expected to resolve the problem for you. The more people that report issues like this and return items to the manufacturer the better the chance of them getting to the bottom of the issues involved and providing fixes if necessary.

16. foz

foz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ive been looking for this problem on my pv500 and honestly cannot see it and im preety fussy.

17. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Try this Foz,

If you can find a dvd that has the universal startup (Jurassic Park, Gladiator) and look out for a change in brightness on the black background. Turning off the lights will help and you will almost certainly notice the black background (look at top right) change in brightness as the universal logo comes to a standstill. If that is failing then watch a dark programme on sky and look for a change of brightness just as the channel display pops on the screen.
    The reason i need to know is so i can go back to panasonic and tell them that my set isn't faulty and rather than order a replacement i want an engineer out to look at this problem and get it fixed.

Cheers in advance

18. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,523
    I have tried mine on component and SCART and can't see any defects.

19. Kefre

Kefre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how significant is this problem? I ordered one from John Lewis only two days ago. I can still cancel it, thanks

20. foz

foz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i cant find any universal dvds but tried it on a dark scene on andromeda on sky and honestly cant see it.i kept bringing up sky panel and pressing back up and was a night time scene.could u post some pictures mabey

21. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not on mine :thumbsup:

22. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,523
    I don't think it will to be honest - no one seems to be having the same problem.
    I take it you have tried diferent SCART leads/inputs etc.

Hope you get it sorted soon, my PV500 doesn't like to see a realtive that is poorly :)

23. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes good point, i am only using one scart atm so i could maybe try component and play a dvd through my xbox. I will try that now. I really hope it is just my pv500 but that link i posted had 4 pages of folks discussing the EXACT issue i am having so that is why i am suspect. I will post back my findings.

24. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,523
    But that is with a PHD7 which is a older model., defferent electronics etc.

25. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Not trying to be funny but if you go back to Panasonic and tell them that your set isn't faulty they're hardly going to send out an engineer, at least not for free.

26. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

I think I noticed the same bars changing tone, when I have sky on and press information on a program with black bars at the top, there is a very slight change in colour, I have tried it on a few dvds and I cant see anything. Although Im sure I can see something on SKy.

Although the main picture is not changing tone at all. :eek:

27. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No, same problem.

28. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do your bars change brightness like you put gamma up one notch? That is the effect i have and it happens on the whole image rather than just the widescreen bars. Its subtle but very noticeable to me.

29. Hairy Herman

Hairy Herman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you got some sort of adaptive contrast thing on? maybe when the panel detects a dark scene, to make the blacks blacker it is lowering the contrast, but when something bright comes up the contrast is forced up.

30. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Its just on the bars at the top, just tried starwars dvd and its fine, go to sky and it does it on 16/9 image. Although the picture doesnt change tone at all.

Its almost like the sky info bar is like a light bulb ???

But the main screen doesnt change even tried it with the lights off.