Discounted Monitor Audio - where?

Irf

Standard Member
ANyone know where I can get my Monitor Audio Radius speakers from a less than list price? I've tried the following, but they all price up exactly the same!

Peter Tyson
Sevenoaks
Hifi Bitz

Some of you will notice that I have been lookng to get these since last year, but I delayed the decision until I got the new plasma telly.

Cheers for any pointers to good dealers....

Irf.
 

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
they rarely knock down the price of the Radius, they are such good speakers for the money already........try waiting till Easter, i'm sure Sevenoaks will be doing a sale then, you might find you'll get a pack deal (ie buy a 5.1 setup and they'll do 10% off or whatever)
 

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
Can I take it that you like the Radius speakers?

Do you not think they are value for money?

If not, maybe you should consider cheaper speakers.

Knyght Byte has it exactly right, they are already worth the money. Maybe you should save up a bit more or look at alternatives. This strikes me as a customer wanting to own the VW Golf R32 but only being able to afford the bog standard 1.6.
 

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
Crustyloafer said:
Can I take it that you like the Radius speakers?

Do you not think they are value for money?

If not, maybe you should consider cheaper speakers.

Knyght Byte has it exactly right, they are already worth the money. Maybe you should save up a bit more or look at alternatives. This strikes me as a customer wanting to own the VW Golf R32 but only being able to afford the bog standard 1.6.


mebbe the retailers should do it like the supermarkets do with alcohol that they got a once off job lot of......list a ridiculously high price like £160, then in the shop itself put up a ticket saying HALF PRICE!!! ONLY £80 A CUBE!!.....

heh

(seriously, i drink a fair bit, not as an alcoholic, but someone who appreciates nice stuff, and its funny watching my local supermarket have these bottles of wine they say are worth £8 but they will do them at half price......funnily enuff i've never ever seen these bottles before, and after a little digging on the makers website you find out that this supermarket has the wholesale right to that particular bottle.....lol....so there is no general retail price....they can make up what they like then half it and you still think you got a good deal......altho i must admit quite often they arnt bad wines for the price you pay, but i would NEVER pay what they reckon is the full price....lol)
 

NookZ

Active Member
Irf said:
ANyone know where I can get my Monitor Audio Radius speakers from a less than list price? I've tried the following, but they all price up exactly the same!

Peter Tyson
Sevenoaks
Hifi Bitz

Some of you will notice that I have been lookng to get these since last year, but I delayed the decision until I got the new plasma telly.

Cheers for any pointers to good dealers....

Irf.

I've got a full radius setup and just went into my local indepdent dealer (Ipswich, Eastern Audio, 01473 217217) and thrashed out a good price.

I reckon you're better off doing a deal face to face rather than trying to get a cheap published price.

HTH

NZ.
 

VILLAn66

Active Member
I bought my 5.1 Radius set up in the January sales from 7oaks.
I got 10% off and they threw in the rear stands (worth £120)for free.

I reckon, like others have said, if you go in and haggle with them you would get something similar.

Russ.
 

Irf

Standard Member
Happy to have a go at haggling. Not sure what I have as a lever though, if all retailers sell at the same price!

Irf.
 

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
you may find it simpler to get the speaker cable chucked on cheap/free rather than lower the price of the package.....
 

DominicA

Active Member
Most places will give you a deal on the beach as they are discontinued.

If you do go this route and need stands, I have 2 sets in black that you can have cheap.

Dom
 

Irf

Standard Member
DominicA said:
Most places will give you a deal on the beach as they are discontinued.

If you do go this route and need stands, I have 2 sets in black that you can have cheap.

Dom

Cheers Dom.

I'm actually looking for the black lacquered speakers. I haven't yet decided on whether the rears will be wall mounted or on stands. However they will be the R45s, so your stands (if for the R90s) will be a bit too big I think....?

Vickers Hifi gave me a discounted price over the phone, which was nice - now I just need to visit 7oaks.

Irf.
 

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
iirc R45's need to be wall mounted in a certain way as the tweeter is rear firing......if you dont use the MA wall fixing you might not get the best possible sound, not sure if the fixing is included in the price tho....

not sure how using normal floorstands would work, i suggest you demo it first with stands :)
 

NookZ

Active Member
Knyght_byte said:
iirc R45's need to be wall mounted in a certain way as the tweeter is rear firing......if you dont use the MA wall fixing you might not get the best possible sound, not sure if the fixing is included in the price tho....

not sure how using normal floorstands would work, i suggest you demo it first with stands :)

I run a set of R45s as rear speakers and have them on the R90 MA stands. They work perfectly, although I do have them close to the wall.

HTH,

NZ.
 

Irf

Standard Member
Yes, you are right - when I demo'd them at 7oaks Croydon the guy helping us did mention that 45s would even be OK as front L/R provided they were wall mounted or on stands immediately next to a wall.

I practice I would prefer to minimise floor clutter, so will probebly opt o wall mount. According to the MA web site, all their R series from 45 up to 250 come with wall brackets.

Having measured up my room, fireplace position, etc. last night, I now think I might go for:
  • 2 x R225s as front L/R
  • 1 x R250 as centre
  • 2 x R45 as rear L/R

Comments welcome...

Irf.
 

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
sounds like a good plan if it fits all the tick boxes you have :)

i would recommend you try subs other than MA tho.....they are ok, but not fantastic, REL's altho overpriced are better value in my opinion, but im sure others here will happily champion some other subs as well.....
 

Irf

Standard Member
Crustyloafer said:
Can I take it that you like the Radius speakers?

Do you not think they are value for money?

If not, maybe you should consider cheaper speakers.

Knyght Byte has it exactly right, they are already worth the money. Maybe you should save up a bit more or look at alternatives. This strikes me as a customer wanting to own the VW Golf R32 but only being able to afford the bog standard 1.6.

Yes, I like the Radius look and sound. I don't know if they are good value for money (that's subjective depending upon how flush the opinion holder is) - but they look, sound and feel like quality equipment.

So because I would like to get good quality for a less-than-list price, you seem to be suggesting I should buy something else? What's wrong with looking for a bargain?

Irf.
 

Irf

Standard Member
Knyght_byte said:
sounds like a good plan if it fits all the tick boxes you have :)

i would recommend you try subs other than MA tho.....they are ok, but not fantastic, REL's altho overpriced are better value in my opinion, but im sure others here will happily champion some other subs as well.....

Cheers mate,

I was hoping to keep my Velodyne CHT10 sub for now, and see how things sounds after a couple of months......

Irf.
 

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
well by all accounts the Velo's are good subs, so see how it integrates.......tbh in a sub/sat system the sub does need to be good as its providing a lot of the sound......2nd most important speaker after the centre.....

if for some reason you think its lacking, try a variety of other subs in a demo room, see what you think, then try a couple at home on loan........altho i know there are plenty of alternatives, i can recommend a Strata 5 as being a nice powerful tight sub for a medium-large room (say around 18x13ft like mine).....it gives you a nice powerful crunch, good slam, and lots of lovely musical bass......however at £700 its not necessarily cheap, i personally dont know how they compare, but other people on here seem to prefer SVS subs for the price.....or if budget is low a BK to get maximum bang per buck.......
 

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
Irf said:
What's wrong with looking for a bargain?

There's nowt wrong with looking for a bargain, but as a few others have suggested you may be more likely to get a deal if you actually go into a dealer and explain what you're after. I'm a big believer in offering some sort of a deal on a package if the customer has made the effort to leave their house to come and visit me. Just picking up the phone and phoning round all the dealers asking for their best price is not likely to yield particularly good results or warm dealers to you
 

Falp

Active Member
Irf said:
ANyone know where I can get my Monitor Audio Radius speakers from a less than list price? I've tried the following, but they all price up exactly the same!

Peter Tyson
Sevenoaks
Hifi Bitz

Some of you will notice that I have been lookng to get these since last year, but I delayed the decision until I got the new plasma telly.

Cheers for any pointers to good dealers....

Irf.
There are usually available on Ebay...
 

Falp

Active Member
Knyght_byte said:
sounds like a good plan if it fits all the tick boxes you have :)

i would recommend you try subs other than MA tho.....they are ok, but not fantastic, REL's altho overpriced are better value in my opinion, but im sure others here will happily champion some other subs as well.....
BK are a very good alternative to REL... at half the price! :thumbsup:
 

setjellyfish

Active Member
Monitor audio radius are avaliable from richersounds in belfast they will ship to main land UK. They are a pain in the bum to deal with but worth the hassle, Google them up and have a look at there web site.

I got 4 90's, a 180 and sub for under £700, cheap enough?
 

fergycool

Standard Member
Falp said:
BK are a very good alternative to REL... at half the price! :thumbsup:

I'm looking for a sub to complement a Monitor Audio setup. 2 front 270s, centre 180, and rear r45s. I was looking for a Rel Quake, but you have just persuaded me to keep looking!!

Cheers
Ferg
 

Falp

Active Member
fergycool said:
I'm looking for a sub to complement a Monitor Audio setup. 2 front 270s, centre 180, and rear r45s. I was looking for a Rel Quake, but you have just persuaded me to keep looking!!

Cheers
Ferg
Try a BK Gemini or XLS200DF!
 

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Technics announces SL-G700M2 SACD and music streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
The Amazon Prime Early Access Sale 2022: 11-12 October
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Google set to launch the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Focal launches Bathys noise-cancelling wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Formovie Theater UST projector hits the UK
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom