Discount Electrical AE500 £1225: Who's ordered??

E

eyeMAJIC

Decided 10 minutes ago that my tired 3-year old Sony VPL-CS2 is due a replacement!!

Just placed an order just now..... wondering if anyone else has taken the plunge??

Cor, can't wait. Been looking at 4 stuck green pixels for years (fortunately, 2 of them outside the 16:9) area.

I hope their "free dead pixel check" is true to form!!

here in all glory!!!!

being cheek - are you thinking of getting rid of your cs2 cheaply?

Nathan

Originally posted by eyeMAJIC
Decided 10 minutes ago that my tired 3-year old Sony VPL-CS2 is due a replacement!!

Just placed an order just now..... wondering if anyone else has taken the plunge??

Cor, can't wait. Been looking at 4 stuck green pixels for years (fortunately, 2 of them outside the 16:9) area.

I hope their "free dead pixel check" is true to form!! QUOTE]

i bought a 300 from discount last week ben ran it for a few hours to make sure of no dead pixels, and it arrived in pixel perfect condition

Not a bad price. 24h delivery included.

I've emailed them to ask if the pixel check means they don't send out PJs with ANY stuck on or dead pixels.

Also, although it says UK model the model on their website does not include the "E" at the end which signifies European with scart connector. I've also asked them about this.

Got the CC ready and waiting.

Originally posted by nathsea
being cheek - are you thinking of getting rid of your cs2 cheaply?

Nathan

Evening. ;)

Honestly, the two stuck pixels within the 16:9 area are NASTY. One of them stays very bright all the time, the other one is dimmer, and its luminance varies a little (not FULLY stuck!). The two outside the 16:9 area are "always off".
The bright green specs are INCREDIBLY annoying during dark scenes involving motion (think: any space film)

Was sent back to Sony service centre just before the warranty expired with specific notes: i.e. I was claiming the green panel must be faulty, as all red and blue pixels were perfect. Not surpirisingly, I got a detailed report back of how it had been disassembled & fully cleaned.... but nothing replaced!!!! Worth a try.

Lovely PJ otherwise; boxed & all!! Just under 300 hours on it (there's an identical one at work I have been known to "borrow" occasionally because of the pixel annoyance!! :D)

Must be worth £2-300 quid or so surely.... anyone any ideas??

eyemajic,
I was thinking along the lines of £150, I have a CRT (I know!!) but want one of these for the games room - will it be any good for games on the PC? And the odd DVD!!

Many Thanks Nathan

Hi Nathan,

Actually, that's about the one thing it's good for!!

I run my PS2 through S-video, which is quite good (Devil May Cry can give you nightmares at 72" !!!!) and play the odd game on the PC (VGA input).

Nice bright colours are no problem, and who can spot dead pixels when you're trying to concentrate on gameplay?!

Just need to check I can do my business presentations OK in 4:3 with the new AE500 (should be OK, as my laptop has DVI) & I'll let you know if it's looking for a new home!!

Colin.

Colin, That would be superb - if the price is right!!!

Let me know and we can come to an agreement - all being well

Nathan

P.S. don`t suppose you know where I could get an online manual - so as I can do some research?

Not the manual, but a decent amount of specs here (.pdf):

Info on VPL-CS2

Got the original software CD (including Sony's "projector station" software which enables you to use the remote as a full-featured windows mouse by connecting the projector to the PC via USB) somewhere upstairs.... if there's a full manual on the CD in .pdf, I'll let ya know.
Got all the original paper manuals too.

Bedtime now..... :boring:

oooh that is extremely tempting!!!! hmmm if something goes wrong here id be very happy to take it

Guys, trading outside the appropriate classified forum is strictly prohibited.

Items for sale/wanted must be placed there.

This thread is also now totally off topic.

No more "trading" discussion - back on topic please.

Oops, sorry about that.... :blush: amazing how easily it is to get sidetracked.

Update from discount electrical: Just received an email from them, and they're shipping TODAY.... Talk about fast service!!!!

Fingers crossed, it should be with me on Thursday, so I'll post back here again with any details; i.e. if it IS a UK model or not.
I'm not really too bothered about this; to get it for this sort of money & have a point of contact in the UK if there is a problem is fine by me, even if it's a "grey one".... it's only a couple of hundred quid more than PriceJapan.

Till later, C.

Well I guess it is apologies from me as well!!! Just got excited that I might be able to bag a bargain!!

Nathan

Just ordered Panny 500 from Discount Electrical. Phoned them today. Definately PTAE500E supplied to DE by Panasonic UK.

I asked about pixel check and they say that a check is done with black signal (all pixels should be off), with a blue screen and with a DVD. So far all units checked have been 100% OK.

I should get mine on Thursday. The HT is ready and waiting :D :D :D

I'll let you know how I get on.

Can anyone tell me if Discount Electrical mention the Free Pixel Check on their invoices. I'm thinking of getting an AE500 and taking advantage of the Barclaycard Price Promise in a couple of months and don't really want to leave anything to chance bearing in mind it's £1145 from Komplett.

Cheers, Khai

I'll let you know when I get mine.

Thanks for the updates, folks.

If I didn't live in the back of beyond, I'd be getting mine tomorrow!

But I can live with Thursday. :)

Pity they don't use R, G and B test signals for the pixel check..... but from my experience, the only ones that bother you are the "always on" ones anyway, so I'm glad that's covered.
LCD panels do seem to be a bit better these days than a few years ago.
My fingers are tightly crossed for myself & everyone else!!!!

C.

(hmmmm.... just noticed I am classed as a "new member".... but I signed up nearly 2 years ago....)

:confused:

Maybe its because of the amount of posts you have made.

BTW, it is possible to "elliminate" any stuck on pixel by putting a tiny coloured dot on the screen of the compimentary colour (eg yellow will turn a stuck blue pixel to black but will not affect the red and green content at the same pixel location). I know this is a codge but who knows what may happen to our perfect projectors after a few hundred hours of bulb burning.

Cheers NoDad. Could I be cheeky and ask when? I'm on the brink of ordering ... gonna be my first projector. I should think it's gonna drop a lot more in two months too ...

Hi folks.

Well, it arrived at 1pm today!! UNREAL!!!! Talk about fantastic service!!!!

Not had a chance to power up yet (at work!!) but I know what I'll be doing all evening!!

Just to confirm, it is a 100% UK model (PT-AE500E), with UK mains cable, SCART socket, instructions in English etc..

The box has been opened & projector removed, confirming the dead pixel check.

Beautifully neatly re-packed too, good show!!

Will post update once it's all wired up!!

Colin.

eyeMAJIC, do they make any mention of the dead pixel check on your invoice? If they don't then I think I'll go for it.

Cheers, Khai

Hi Khai,

Yes, it's detailed on the invoice:

1.... Panasonic Projector PTAE500 1225.00
2.... Dead pixel check - clear FOC.

OK, it's bad. Really bad. See my post below: what I thought was dust turns out to be: dreaded dead pixels.

:(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom