• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Discontinued Samsung w/ bad panel under warranty, need current equivalent TV???

dOobs24

Standard Member
Hey all, long time browser first time poster.

I have a Samsung UN46b8500 that I bought last year. It has a square shadow in the upper right hand corner which the technician (who came to service it today) said is a result of a bad panel and that the panel needs to be replaced. He is going to place the order for a new panel today.

Being that this model has been discontinued for some time now, I highly doubt they will be able to replace the panel, so my question is what current Samsung would be a reasonable equivalent/replacement. My tv is under warranty with PC Richards and I want to be prepared and informed so they can't rip me off if they have to replace it.

I paid $2,049 for it in March of last year.
It was top of the line then (without major 3d competition) with Samsung's LED Backlit technology. The few sites that have it for sale currently have it priced at 200 -300 lower than what I paid.

Is it reasonable of me to expect a 3d samsung of close to the same value as a replacement?

spanky2k

Established Member
I'd say you should push for a UE46D8000. That's the closest equivalent model in the line up right now. Just don't get your hopes up since warranty folk can be a little odd sometimes and decide to repair at a greater cost than a new TV. Defies logic really.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom