1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discontinued models / replacement

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by modeus, Sep 18, 2003.

1. modeus

modeus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I buy a new TV from a range that has been discontinued (or becomes discontinued), and that TV develops a non-repairable fault within the warranty period, will the manufacturer/retailer swap it out with the next model upwards?

e.g. if the TV goes wrong 3 years into a John Lewis 5 year guarantee, it's unlikely that there is going to be stock of that model if it was discontinued, so I was wondering what happens in the circumstances.

Thanks.

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,642
    Like all discontinued items it would probably depend on the fault. Many parts are generic and will be freely available but type specific parts will probably become scarce over the warranty period. If the model is discontinued because the brand goes kaput, then the retailer may be cagey about the warranty.

3. modeus

modeus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I often read in this forum about people having had their new TVs replaced/swapped out up to 4-5 times, as when they turn the TV on it's immediately apparent that there is a fault, e.g. with the geometry or convergence etc. I therefore thought it was common practice for swap outs to take place over repairs - although I do take your point that it's easy to repair a 'standard' component by replacing it.

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,642
    A swapout is different (and thankfully something I've not had to do) in that most retailers will try to do this as they can to return that iffy unit for rework/credit (often a swap is what the customer wants anyway) but I think you can request a repair instead if you wish, in which case the spares supply applies.
    For example- if a customer buys a pair of our speakers that have some fault/problem out of the box we would normally swap them to keep faith in us/product. If they want a repair however- we'd be happy to get the relevant parts to a distributor. We hold on to discontinued model spares for approx 5yrs but I do not know if that is high or low on average.