Disconnection fee after contract ends?

code1905

Standard Member
Hi

I am due to move house next week and my Broadband contract with BT ends in 12 days time, while the phone contract doesn't finish until december. I told them that I would like to transfer the BT line to the new home to roll out our phone contract but I would like to cancel the broadband.

They told me that if I wanted to use another broadband provider, It would cost me £25 pounds to disconnect from the BT service (even after the contract ends). I requested a MAC code but they told me that because I am moving house it won't work because it's related to a different property and number.

Q1. Should I have to pay this £25 or should I just be able to use a MAC code? I'm not sure that the £25 charge was written in the T&C's when we signed up.

Q2. If I wanted to cancel BT broadband and start a new service with a new provider at the new property would I then have to pay line rental twice to BT(for calls) and the new provider (for broadband)?

Your advice is appreciated

Thanks

Spoonboy90

Novice Member
Q1. Should I have to pay this £25 or should I just be able to use a MAC code? I'm not sure that the £25 charge was written in the T&C's when we signed up.
I'm pretty sure that somewhere in the T&C's there will be something about the disconnection charge. Like you have been told a MAC code is just for swapping your broadband service provider and doesn't cover a property move.

Q2. If I wanted to cancel BT broadband and start a new service with a new provider at the new property would I then have to pay line rental twice to BT(for calls) and the new provider (for broadband)?
You'll only pay 'line rental' to BT. You'll have to pay an ISP for broadband but you won't be paying anything twice.

code1905

Standard Member
You'll only pay 'line rental' to BT. You'll have to pay an ISP for broadband but you won't be paying anything twice.
Only Reason I asked this was because I noticed that for example orange are saying that it's £10.50 p/m line rental (payable to them) + £9.50 p/m, so how would this work when we will be using BT for the phone package?

Thanks

Last edited:

Spoonboy90

Novice Member
Thats if you take an orange phone line, orange would be providing both the telephone and broadband service, if you want to keep your telephone with BT to see out your contract then you need just a broadband service.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom