Disconnecting Sky multi room

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by alison40, Feb 21, 2014.

1. alison40

alison40
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I did have an old sky basic box set up on multi room - I've decided there is nothing I want to watch on sky and if I do ever want anything I can use my Dads sky + box.
    I've brought a Panasonic DMR - BWT735 blue ray smart recorder so when setting that up tonight I disconnected the Sky box.

I'm not tech minded and didn't know what to do with the Sky leads there is some metal link connecting the ariel leads that come in through the wall. I've no idea what's what so have just pushed them behind the cupboard that the recorder sits on.

Would this be a problem left? I may decide in the future if parents upgrade to Sky HD box to have their old Sky + box so need to leave the links. I can't remove the one as it goes through the wall - the Sky engineers to me never did a neat job as we've got so many leads outside going up to the dish and I'm sure its not the best of set ups. I'd rather not have such a jumble of leads but don't know what I can move as don't want to mess up the tv/recorder set up.

Just wanted to check its not a fire risk or anything. Don't want to have to pay anyone to sort it as I was impressed I managed to disconnect Sky and set the recorder up without making any errors.

Will get Dad to ring Sky to cancel the multi room tomorrow. Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,565
    No, the disconnected leads are not a fire risk.

3. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,775
    The Sky leads can be left as they are with no risks at all.
    You could have left the Sky machine in place for the free channels as there are far more than on Freeview, and for the 31 days of the cancellation period.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  4. winston2010

winston2010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Sky do not use engineers for installations. If they did it would have been done neatly and properly.

Good luck cancelling.

5. winston2010

winston2010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Far more? About half a dozen actually, and mostly channels one would not watch anyway.

6. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,775
    My mistake - FV.

7. alison40

alison40
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just catching up with the thread - I have cancelled the multiroom - decided when I got my new Panasonic blu ray recorder to take the box out of the way to make room for the new box.
    Left with all those leads - yes they are tucked away but I'd still like to get rid of them - I won't go back to multiroom Sky and if there is anything I want on Sky I can use Dads box to record it on. To me its not worth £11.25 a month. With Freeview and Netflix I'm happy!

My Dads just upgraded to Sky + HD which ive set up this afternoon but in the process I've managed to lose the tv signal as there wasn't an aerial connection on the new Sky box and I've not got a clue about that and I dont want to mess up anything else so have asked a local aerial/digital engineer out who will be able to sort it all out and I'll ask him about removing the leads in my room.

Must say no offence to Sky engineers but I think the ones we had install Sky didn't do the neatest of jobs so I feel better booking a local guy who's qualified and well respected in the area to sort out what I can't.

8. winston2010

winston2010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    That is because they were not engineers. Sky don't use engineers, they use installers and probably contractors at that.

9. alison40

alison40
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I don't think they were engineers going on the amount of leads and how it runs up to the aerial - not exactly a neat job.
    Hoping this chap tomorrow can tidy things up a bit and remove what's not needed and most importantly connect the tv aerial lead!

10. kevkbuk

kevkbuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    You'll be their perfect customer... Just be careful they don't rip you off.

11. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,775
    Connecting the aerial lead should be a very simple thing to do.
    Just plug it in!

12. MartinPickering

MartinPickering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    A bit of "barn door" advice: before disconnecting any leads, it's a good idea to label each one. For example, a lead plugged into "RF2" on a Sky Digibox could be labelled "SKY RF2". This will help in the future when someone wants to know what signal the lead carries or where to connect it.

I also take photos of the rear panel before disconnecting.