disconnecting pin 13 of HDMI cable - how?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by loz, Apr 23, 2007.

1. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    For users of Sky HD in conjuction with Panasonic devices, Panasonic have advised disconnecting Pin 13 on HDMI to get HDAVI control working correctly.

It appears Sky HD is putting some spurious voltage/commands on pin 13 that is in some way stopping HDAVI working correctly between Panasonic Displays and devices such as DVD players/recorders.

Some trials of my own show me that Sky HD is causing some form of problem. Without it connected, HDAVI is working perfectly. Plug Sky HD into my other HDMI socket, and even with Sky HD on standby HDAVI goes erratic.

However, how do you disconnect Pin 13. How would you know which wire to snip if I took the outer off? Or could you cover the pin in the plug with something, or just pull the pin out with some pliers? :eek:

Obviously I will try this first with a £1.99 HDMI cable, not a £400 wirewound one :D

Has anyone with suitable equipment actually established what Sky HD might be doing (wrong) with pin 13?

Might any of you cable manufacturers actually be in a position to make pin 13less cables?

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,514
    Hello LOZ

PIN 13 carries the CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) signals - SKY and others have an odd implementation whereby the Source is always signalling its presence (even when in Standby).

Some DVD players can also be problematic as they are always outputting a manufacturers 'Logo' splash screen - again even when the player is in Standby.

As far as I understand it CEC is not mandatory so this type of problem can exist without anyone being 'in the wrong'.

There is no 'pin' as such that you can pull - you'd have to snip the pin 13 wire at or before the solder joint on the back of the HDMI plug in your cable, see http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38540&d=1160158309

Joe

3. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    I believe that Panasonics HDAVI is related to CEC. Didn't they propose the command codes for the standard - and hence HDAVI is CEC?

4. wellfan

wellfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Has anyone as yet managed to disconnect or disable connection 13 on the cable?

5. techmob

techmob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    just thought i'd bump this topic as i have a similar issue with my panasonic tv and if there is anymore info related to this issue, i would like to read it :thumbsup: